New Photos and Videos from Red Bank NJ 5/23/2008

Eric Kreszl

Great catch there! I never seen a PL42-AC in those parts. How rare is a PL42-AC on the :njc:?

This is the first time I have ever photographed ANY PL42AC diesel locomotive on the NJCL. I know that there have been several test trains in the past but not just to tow 2 ALP-44M electric locomotives.

Eric

Nice photos!! You know, this past thursday just outside the MMC i saw from a path train a alp-44 and a diesel hooked together, it wasn't a pl42ac though. Looked like a gp40 of some sort.

- Andy

I think it is heading northbound from the view of the tracks..but don't hold me to that.

Hello Everyone,

PL42AC Locomotive #4022 was puling both ALP-44M locomotives north.

Eric

P.S. There are a LOT of Multi-level trains on the NJCL.

Hello Everyone,

PL42AC Locomotive #4022 was puling both ALP-44M locomotives north.

Eric

P.S. There are a LOT of Multi-level trains on the NJCL.

Sounds like i should get down there for a beach trip asap. Last time i caught a comet 2 on my way to belmar.

- Andy

Sounds like i should get down there for a beach trip asap. Last time i caught a comet 2 on my way to belmar.

- Andy

All the Comet II Cars are now Comet IIM cars. There are no longer any Comet II Cab Cars. All were rebuilt into coaches.

Eric

All the Comet II Cars are now Comet IIM cars. There are no longer any Comet II Cab Cars. All were rebuilt into coaches.

Eric

You know i was wondering about that. The consist was comet 2 and 3 and i believe 5 cars long.

- Andy

You know i was wondering about that. The consist was comet 2 and 3 and i believe 5 cars long.

- Andy

Here is some general information on NJ Transit North Jersey Coast Line trains.

Electric Consists

All NJ Transit electric trains will have either a ALP-44 or ALP-46 pulling 6 to 10 cars average depending on the time of day.

Diesel Consists

All NJ Transit Diesel consists consist of GP40PH-2 locomotives #4145-4150 and GP40PH-2B locomotives #4200-4219, or F40PH-2CAT locomotives occasionally, and fewer and fewer GP40FH-2 locomotives. GP40PH-2 locomotives #4100-4112 are not allowed on the :njc: because they are considered to heavy to run on the :nec:. They used to be common but not anymore. As for PL42AC locomotives they can operate on the :njc: however for some unknown reason NJ Transit continues to not assign them there except for Non Revenue trains like the one I took a photo of the other day in Red Bank or test trains.

Arrow III MU Cars are only allowed on the :njc: up to Aberdeen-Matawan because of the Catenary Voltage increase from 12KV to 25KV just south of Signal/Milepost 7.9 as they can not change voltage automatically at the phase gap located there.

Most NJ Transit Multi-level trains I have seen will have a ALP-46 electric locomotive pulling them and those trains average 8 to 10 cars.

Hope this helps

Eric

Here is some general information on NJ Transit North Jersey Coast Line trains.

Electric Consists

All NJ Transit electric trains will have either a ALP-44 or ALP-46 pulling 6 to 10 cars average depending on the time of day.

Diesel Consists

All NJ Transit Diesel consists consist of GP40PH-2 locomotives #4145-4150 and GP40PH-2B locomotives #4200-4219, or F40PH-2CAT locomotives occasionally, and fewer and fewer GP40FH-2 locomotives. GP40PH-2 locomotives #4100-4112 are not allowed on the :njc: because they are considered to heavy to run on the :nec:. They used to be common but not anymore. As for PL42AC locomotives they can operate on the :njc: however for some unknown reason NJ Transit continues to not assign them there except for Non Revenue trains like the one I took a photo of the other day in Red Bank or test trains.

Arrow III MU Cars are only allowed on the :njc: up to Aberdeen-Matawan because of the Catenary Voltage increase from 12KV to 25KV just south of Signal/Milepost 7.9 as they can not change voltage automatically at the phase gap located there.

Most NJ Transit Multi-level trains I have seen will have a ALP-46 electric locomotive pulling them and those trains average 8 to 10 cars.

Hope this helps

Eric

Yes it helps and makes sense. The multilevels seem to have greater HEP requirements, and are obviosuly heavier, so i think the only alp-44's with multilevels will be on the :nec: also it seems they can get away with shorter consists during non peak hours. I have noticed (NJT) favoring the new single levels and multilevels when it comes to using the alp-46. The alp-44 seems to be relegated to older rolling stock and reverse peak service, with EMU filling in the gaps between alp-46 runs. You can especially see this when you are at newark and get to see jersey ave, :njc: and full :nec: trains.

- Andy

Archived