MTA Run Number System

'89 Liberty MCI

I've been seeing this run 000 in photos laying over on Main Street, on some bus route based out of Casey Stengel. Anyone know if this is a real run number, or if it's just a signal for dispatchers or supervisors? Queens run numbers seem confusing in general, I've been seeing full 3-digit run numbers in Queens like "run 464 on the Q31," when I know that many runs can't exist on a bus route during the day. Is it a different system that NYCT has as opposed to MaBSTOA, so that first digit actually refers to something other than the run number? I notice this in MTA Bus as well, in all boroughs and on both the local and express routes.

The OOO is most likely for buses used by dispatchers fat a swing post. They use spare buses (if they have them) for drivers to sit in during their breaks on the road.

When you see triple digit numbers, that is due to the fact that, the driver does 2 or more routes. The Bx15 and Bx17, along with the Bx40/42 and the Bx4 are great examples. When a driver does only Bx17 or Bx15 they will have a regular one or two digit run number. But when a driver does a few round trips as a Bx15, then does a few as a Bx17 (or vise-versa), they get a 3 digit run number. It works the same way with the Bx4 and Bx40/42. MTA Bus BxM runs do the same thing. This is so the dispatcher and road supervisors know, which runs are straight runs, and which are 2 or more runs.........

Yeah, me and my friend (run 020 on the Bx10) were talking about that and he was curious as to what the 3-digit runs meant in MTA Bus. However I've seen the three digit run numbers occurring on almost every MTA Bus, even on buses being operated by operators I know who get straights and not multiple routes.

And didn't know that the 3 digit runs occurred in NYCT also, thought it was MTA Bus only.

• 2 years later...
Yeah, me and my friend (run 020 on the Bx10) were talking about that and he was curious as to what the 3-digit runs meant in MTA Bus. However I've seen the three digit run numbers occurring on almost every MTA Bus, even on buses being operated by operators I know who get straights and not multiple routes.

And didn't know that the 3 digit runs occurred in NYCT also, thought it was MTA Bus only.

it happens on the (Bx36) and my friend does (Bx36) only

MTA Bus runs depend on the route and the depot. I know all the SC express runs have 3 digits, and the first number is for the route.

Bm2 201

Bm3 305

Bm5 506

I have NYCB pretty much downpacked, but I'm still trying to learn how they work at all the MTAB depots. And some 3 digit NYCB runs make no sense either.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.0; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

From what I observed with the 3 digits (local lines only), the 1st number is the last number of the route its on and the last 2 numbers is the run number. On the occasaion that the buses have 4 digits (I.e 05 CNG's), the first 2 numbers is the route (if its a 3-digit route, the first 2 numbers is the 1st and last route number) and the last 2 numbers are the run numbers. But when its called in to command, they say 4 numbers (the route and run number)

Examples:

-308 (route Q33, run 8)

-2532 (Route Q25, run 32)

-1321 (route B103, run 21)

-called console: this is run 6743 (route Q67, run 43)

Sometimes, they just show the run number by itself

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.0; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

From what I observed with the 3 digits (local lines only), the 1st number is the last number of the route its on and the last 2 numbers is the run number. On the occasaion that the buses have 4 digits (I.e 05 CNG's), the first 2 numbers is the route (if its a 3-digit route, the first 2 numbers is the 1st and last route number) and the last 2 numbers are the run numbers. But when its called in to command, they say 4 numbers (the route and run number)

Examples:

-308 (route Q33, run 8)

-2532 (Route Q25, run 32)

-1321 (route B103, run 21)

-called console: this is run 6743 (route Q67, run 43)

Sometimes, they just show the run number by itself

This system is pretty much outdated, yet very similar to the 3 digit system being used. LGA and SC use a system like NYCT. From what I have seen the B100 uses 0XX, and 1XX runs, while the B103 uses 3XX runs. CP uses a lot of 2XX runs. Q25: 251, 254 etc.

This system is pretty much outdated, yet very similar to the 3 digit system being used. LGA and SC use a system like NYCT. From what I have seen the B100 uses 0XX, and 1XX runs, while the B103 uses 3XX runs. CP uses a lot of 2XX runs. Q25: 251, 254 etc.

When the B103 uses orion V's, the run number is 13xx. When I catch the Q67 (LGA) it just shows the run number (i.e: 43) but back when it was with CP, it was always a 4xx (i.e: 432)

When the B103 uses orion V's, the run number is 13xx. When I catch the Q67 (LGA) it just shows the run number (i.e: 43) but back when it was with CP, it was always a 4xx (i.e: 432)

What you you all think about having a thread for run numbers, so we can get this thing down to a science?

I will say that College Pt has had a few number changes and it's really easy to ident the bus route before but now it's catchy

Yes when we had the Q67 the route displayed 4xx numbers but say the <Q>25 still uses 25xx 4 digits 2502 2515 etc.

When we had the four digits to me it was better but slot of our route numbers start with (3).

Qm1A Glen Oaks used to be 22xx and Fresh Med used to be 1008 but now it's different .

Usually the last two digits is the slot where it falls on the route like 2548 which is the last Q25 and the first 2 digits is the Primary destination 3802 For Q38 Ident

I will say that College Pt has had a few number changes and it's really easy to ident the bus route before but now it's catchy

Yes when we had the Q67 the route displayed 4xx numbers but say the <Q>25 still uses 25xx 4 digits 2502 2515 etc.

When we had the four digits to me it was better but slot of our route numbers start with (3).

Qm1A Glen Oaks used to be 22xx and Fresh Med used to be 1008 but now it's different .

Usually the last two digits is the slot where it falls on the route like 2548 which is the last Q25 and the first 2 digits is the Primary destination 3802 For Q38 Ident

Ok, so how does it work with only 3 digits, as eventually this is how they will all be when the ex-PBL Orions are pushed out.

When I'm in the mood after my run i put XXX

Not that I care,but don't cry when you get written up for having an incorrect number in the box. There are plenty of road ops looking to make their bones on violations like this. Forewarned is forearmed my friend.

Not that I care,but don't cry when you get written up for having an incorrect number in the box. There are plenty of road ops looking to make their bones on violations like this. Forewarned is forearmed my friend.

However, is a driver supposed to have the run number correct even if not in service?

As for runs and interlines, I am noticing that at East New York Depot, any run number in the 05x and 06x (except for the B82; 03x runs nowadays for the B42) is usually an interline, such as the B83 and the B14, or B83, Q24, and Q56. At Grand Avenue, 04x runs are usually interlines.

Also, while still runs, the B2 and B31 are now picked as one route on weekdays. That is, a B2 coming into Kings Highway leaves as a B31, and vice versa (unless going out of service).

The OOO is most likely for buses used by dispatchers fat a swing post. They use spare buses (if they have them) for drivers to sit in during their breaks on the road.

When you see triple digit numbers, that is due to the fact that, the driver does 2 or more routes. The Bx15 and Bx17, along with the Bx40/42 and the Bx4 are great examples. When a driver does only Bx17 or Bx15 they will have a regular one or two digit run number. But when a driver does a few round trips as a Bx15, then does a few as a Bx17 (or vise-versa), they get a 3 digit run number. It works the same way with the Bx4 and Bx40/42. MTA Bus BxM runs do the same thing. This is so the dispatcher and road supervisors know, which runs are straight runs, and which are 2 or more runs.........

Not quite. Remember that MaBSTOA doesn't have the "Miscellaneous" label the way Queens and Staten Island do. Every run must be assigned to one route or another, even if it includes work on two or more routes. Therefore, there is a system for some routes that are "grouped" for scheduling purposes...

Bx15 and Bx17:

- Runs numbered 001-099 are assigned to the Bx15, even if they include some Bx17 work.

- Runs numbered 101-199 are assigned to the Bx17, even if they include some Bx15 work.

Bx40/42 and Bx4:

- Runs numbered 001-099 are assigned to the Bx40/42, even if they include some Bx4 work.

- Runs numbered 101-199 are assigned to the Bx4, even if they include some Bx40/42 work.

Other groups use 001-099 for everything. For example, the Bx7, Bx20, and M100 are grouped, and some Bx7 trips might easily be covered by run 5 on the M100 and by run 5 on the Bx20.

As for the BxM routes, they all use three-digit run numbers, with the first digit indicating the route to which a given run is assigned. For example, run "601" is assigned to the BxM6, 701 is assigned to the BxM7, 801 is assigned to the BxM7A, 901 is assigned to the BxM9, and either 101 or 001 is assigned to the BxM10. (Of course, those runs could still cover trips on other routes.) That's easier to see on MTA Bus Company routes in Queens; for example, run 6401 is assigned to the Q64.

Not quite. Remember that MaBSTOA doesn't have the "Miscellaneous" label the way Queens and Staten Island do. Every run must be assigned to one route or another, even if it includes work on two or more routes. Therefore, there is a system for some routes that are "grouped" for scheduling purposes...

Bx15 and Bx17:

- Runs numbered 001-099 are assigned to the Bx15, even if they include some Bx17 work.

- Runs numbered 101-199 are assigned to the Bx17, even if they include some Bx15 work.

Bx40/42 and Bx4:

- Runs numbered 001-099 are assigned to the Bx40/42, even if they include some Bx4 work.

- Runs numbered 101-199 are assigned to the Bx4, even if they include some Bx40/42 work.

Other groups use 001-099 for everything. For example, the Bx7, Bx20, and M100 are grouped, and some Bx7 trips might easily be covered by run 5 on the M100 and by run 5 on the Bx20.

As for the BxM routes, they all use three-digit run numbers, with the first digit indicating the route to which a given run is assigned. For example, run "601" is assigned to the BxM6, 701 is assigned to the BxM7, 801 is assigned to the BxM7A, 901 is assigned to the BxM9, and either 101 or 001 is assigned to the BxM10. (Of course, those runs could still cover trips on other routes.) That's easier to see on MTA Bus Company routes in Queens; for example, run 6401 is assigned to the Q64.

Starting this spring though, I have seen run boxes with numbers like 507 and 318 in them. Here is a Bx5 example.

Starting this spring though, I have seen run boxes with numbers like 507 and 318 in them.

The spring pick had a four-way route group with the Bx5, Bx12 local, Bx14, and Bx29 all scheduled together, so there were 300-series and 500-series run numbers. (The 200-series is reserved for the SBS12.)

Archived