What Company Makes Your Comuter and What do You Think About that Company

I think Harry was talking about ordering them towards May or June. I'm amazed you can get 500 GB hard drives now for no more than $55 (including tax).

It took huge hard drives like that half a decade to become cheap and thus popular. If this economic bull ends, maybe companies can make drives larger than my iPod's (30 GB) that won't fail so easily...

I think Harry was talking about ordering them towards May or June. I'm amazed you can get 500 GB hard drives now for no more than $55 (including tax).

It took huge hard drives like that half a decade to become cheap and thus popular. If this economic bull ends, maybe companies can make drives larger than my iPod's (30 GB) that won't fail so easily...

Well, you can RAID 1 two drives. This way if one drive fails, you still have all of your data

No, that is the CPU and RAM that deals with multitasking. Generally, the higher your clock speeds and the more cores/threads you have, the better multitasking performance you would get.

Also, video compressing performance is based off of CPU and RAM. Take a look at FRAPS. A 10 minute video is around 3GB, but if you record in HD, you will get the video in HD no matter your hard drive's sequential read and write speeds. The video has to be shrunk, or compressed to a smaller file size, and the better your CPU, or in some cases, the GPU, the faster the video compressing. your SSD won't affect video encoding or compressing performance.

The only real thing SSDs affect is boot up and load time. SSDs are overpriced in many ways, as you would only get a few seconds of your time saved over a mechanical drive and there are no real benefits over it, other then the fact that they are a bit quieter and cooler. However, the average user wouldn't exactly care about any of that.

Nobody said anything about the SSD being solely responsible for multitasking performance. I am saying that multitasking performance will be greatly improved by the use of SSDs—especially those that are I/O-intensive. Let's me explain the technology to you concisely:

• Hard drives: reads and writes data using a single mechanical arm that moves to the data's physical location on the drive platters to read or write. Hard drives can only do one thing at a time and most efficiently if all the data is in one physical location.

• Solid state drives: reads and writes data electronically to cells that store the bits. Reading is fast, but erasing and writing are slow. To mask the worse write performance, SSDs typically have multiple memory chips operating in parallel and independently of each other. Thus, they can handle sequential writes faster than hard drives as well as numerous unrelated reads and writes. This translates to better multitasking performance (especially I/O-intensive ones) since disk access from different threads aren't physically serialized, but can actually happen in parallel.

The computer's performance is limited by the weakest link, which has been the hard drive for decades. Memory swapping, file copying, and software loading (especially the huge suites like Adobe CS5 and games) are some of the things bottlenecked by hard drive storage.

Raw lossless 1080p video, by the way, is about 4GB for every 1 to 2 minutes. During recording, if that hard drive doesn't write fast enough, frames get choppy and/or FRAPS stops recording. The RAM can only hold so much before it has to flush the memory to disk for additional data. And during encoding, if that hard drive is not feeding the processor and GPU fast enough, you're not getting all the performance out of your system.

Google will tell you the rest.

To answer the OP's question....

* my oldest computer is an acer... that thing is at least 15 years old & still up & runnin.

* my other 2 pc's (1 of which I'm on now) are HP's

* my laptop (which I'm downloading simpsons episodes on right now... LOL) is an HP

I fux with HP because as long as I been using HP computers, I haven't had anything major happen yet (same exact way I feel about iomega portable drives... the last portable drive I had that failed on me a couple days ago, was a freakin seagate; the oldest of my 4 portable HD's)... to the point where I haven't had to summon customer service for anything... then again, that's unfair to say b/c I'm a DIY-er when it comes to most things, but especially computing.....

don't have much of an opinion on acer, b/c this is the only product of theirs I've ever gotten.... hey, it's lasted this long, so the least I can say is that their products are durable.....

- Apples/Mac's I'm not a fan of.... not bashing their computers or anything, but it's just not my preference.... Quicktime itself has a lot to do with the way I feel about Apple products (that program I've despised for years)... any QT media that I d/l, immediately gets converted to another file format (if I can't find what I'm looking for, that doesn't have the qt extension to it).... as for portable media, I never cared for I-pod's (I tend to stay away from trendy items anyway, that, and I-pods are too involved for my liking)....

- I have 2 family friends & a cousin that have had, or currently still have DELL's.... I never cared for dell before the fact, but after the hard time customer service has given them, and as for dell products itself.... let's just say they're not gettin one red cent out of me....

- Apples/Mac's I'm not a fan of.... not bashing their computers or anything, but it's just not my preference.... Quicktime itself has a lot to do with the way I feel about Apple products (that program I've despised for years)... any QT media that I d/l, immediately gets converted to another file format

You you preserve the audio/video streams and remux them into a new container format or do you completely reencode the entire thing? The latter causes a loss of quality; the former retains it.

• 2 months later...

Just got a Sony S Series

4 GB Ram

Backlit Keyboard

Intel Core i5 (2nd Gen)

Radeon Graphics Card

Windows 7 Home Premium

Weighs 3.8 lbs

Very portable

Sleek design

Blue

Webcam

Cost $799

@Amtrak7

My dad had an WinXP eMachines. I was low-quality for that time with 512mb of memory. It stopped working right before booting the desktop. Probably because it couldn't take all the stuff on there. Like my games (SimCity, RCT3).

My first ever computer a a COMPAQ (before it was bought out by HP). It's been around since 2000, and it's still functional with all of its original hardware. My parents paid $2000 for it and it came with a 20GB HD, 64MiB SDRAM, a DVD-ROM drive, a CD burner, and a 667MHz Celeron CPU. There was no graphics or sound card.

The desktops I have now are all custom built. For around the same amount of money as my first computer I got a 64GB SSD, 3TB HD, 24GiB ECC DDR3 SDRAM, 2.53GHz Hexacore Xeon, and a low-power Radeon HD 6450.

Talk about the speed of technological advancement…

*jaw drops*

• 3 months later...

When I build a computer (one day, don't have the money now) I want to install windows 7 and programs on a 64gb ssd. I would put other stuff on a 500gb hard drive.

You can quickly load the windows off the ssd, and store files on the hdd.

Archived