Will Staten Island see select bus service

Staten Island

Any news on select bus service coming to SI ??? Some said that they were looking into it for the S74, S78 and S79....the 3 longest routes on SI

The only route they are looking at is the S79. The S74 and S78 parallel the SIR, so any long-distance customers would most likely be on the SIR.

Plus, some of the streets along the S74 and S78 routes are pretty narrow.

On a side note, Via Garibaldi has asked for limited-stop service on the S53, so we'll see how that turns out.

They Said this year I forgot which bus and then the (B46)

...Not quite. Like Q43LTD mentioned, originally the B44 was due this year, I believe the M34 was due next year or so and the S79 was for 2013 or 2014.

Then the B44 was pushed to summer of next year...

Now, the M34 is supposed to be starting up this fall (minus the giant transitway, parts of which may or may not start cropping up next year), the B44 is supposed to be starting up in January 2013, and the S79 is in limbo.

Answering the OP's question... it looks like the actual S79 SBS plans itself are scrapped, but the DOT is still looking for ways to improve upon the S79 and Hylan Blvd bus service in general, including alternatives to SBS. But don't take it from me, the SBS plans could make a comeback.

As for King of Redbirds, the DOT has pointed out the B46 as a route they might want SBS on someday, but we've already talked about why it might not work out. There aren't any plans for it at the moment. Were you maybe talking about the B44 instead and said the B46 by accident?

.....anyone else remember when the (MTA) wanted SBS on the Q5?

I've heard that the M34 will be getting +Select Bus Service+ this year in fall season while B44 +Select begins in January 2013. While the M34 has +Select, the 34th Street busway is planned to require eliminating 34th St as a through street. (Sorry if this doesn't make sense, because I'm an English Language Learner).

The S79 proposal was scrapped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Select_Bus_Service

I've heard that the M34 will be getting +Select Bus Service+ this year in fall season while B44 +Select begins in January 2013. While the M34 has +Select, the 34th Street busway is planned to require eliminating 34th St as a through street. (Sorry if this doesn't make sense, because I'm an English Language Learner).

The S79 proposal was scrapped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Select_Bus_Service

That's right. Good thing the Wikipedia article is finally up to date. *coughcoughthatwaspartiallybecauseofmecoughcough*

I think the busway is pretty much canned. It's not really mentioned in the newsletter.

But it was stated that the current curbside bus lanes are going to be replaced with interior bus lanes (next year), and the sidewalk extensions (a.k.a. bus bulbs) are also coming next year. The ticket machines are coming this fall. I think the M16 is supposed to be using them too, at least on 34th Street.

And look at it this way! We're still getting an SBS route in 2011.... just not the one that was originally proposed B)

Now if only the MTA and DOT would actually update their SBS pages instead of just chucking out newsletters...

The only route they are looking at is the S79. The S74 and S78 parallel the SIR, so any long-distance customers would most likely be on the SIR.

Plus, some of the streets along the S74 and S78 routes are pretty narrow.

On a side note, Via Garibaldi has asked for limited-stop service on the S53, so we'll see how that turns out.

:tup:

Be :cool: if TPTB made via Garibaldi`s suggestion reality.

PS: I love the OP`s username:)

Hopefully all of the connections I got will be able to help us out. :cool:

I tell you, it was totally worth going to that meeting. I took an hour out of my schedule and hopefully it'll lead to the improvements I suggested becoming reality. I'm sure Via Garibaldi feels the same way.

Hopefully all of the connections I got will be able to help us out. :cool:

I tell you, it was totally worth going to that meeting. I took an hour out of my schedule and hopefully it'll lead to the improvements I suggested becoming reality. I'm sure Via Garibaldi feels the same way.

I most certainly do. It's good when you can try to make a difference in the transportation that you use everyday and I certainly intend to do just that. It's not point in b*tching about bad service if you don't make any noise about trying to improve the situation.

I remember that the woman who spoke before me at the public hearing had a good line: "If you don't have a solution, shut up!".

That's exactly the mentality people need to have. Don't expect a problem to be solved unless you can help come up with a solution (And you have to fully understand the issue).

For example, costs might be an issue to expanding S53 service to relieve overcrowding, so the solution is to make some of the buses limited to save time and money. (That might be a bad example because it kills two birds with one stone).

Another problem might be low frequencies on the B31. So a possible solution is to try to increase ridership by sending it past Kings Highway. Once a rider knows what issue the MTA is facing (low ridership), and what issue the passenger is facing (low frequencies), they can work together to come up with a good solution.

I give that woman credit: She followed her own advice and tried to come up with a solution to save the S42 (though not a particularly good one). She said to have it go straight down Westervelt Avenue to Victory Blvd, go onto Brook Street, and then take Jersey Street to Brighton Avenue to finish the route. At least she tried to come up with something

I remember that the woman who spoke before me at the public hearing had a good line: "If you don't have a solution, shut up!".

That's exactly the mentality people need to have. Don't expect a problem to be solved unless you can help come up with a solution (And you have to fully understand the issue).

For example, costs might be an issue to expanding S53 service to relieve overcrowding, so the solution is to make some of the buses limited to save time and money. (That might be a bad example because it kills two birds with one stone).

Another problem might be low frequencies on the B31. So a possible solution is to try to increase ridership by sending it past Kings Highway. Once a rider knows what issue the MTA is facing (low ridership), and what issue the passenger is facing (low frequencies), they can work together to come up with a good solution.

I give that woman credit: She followed her own advice and tried to come up with a solution to save the S42 (though not a particularly good one). She said to have it go straight down Westervelt Avenue to Victory Blvd, go onto Brook Street, and then take Jersey Street to Brighton Avenue to finish the route. At least she tried to come up with something

lol... I think for the next hearing I'll come up with some other ideas that I think can improve service and be cost neutral or cost effective at least.... :D

lol... I think for the next hearing I'll come up with some other ideas that I think can improve service and be cost neutral or cost effective at least.... :D

Let's see how this works out first. Hopefully, in 3 months, our current proposals will be moving along, so we'll be able to focus on something else.

What ideas did you have in mind besides the reverse-peak limited-stop service? I might be able to join you with a few ideas I've mentioned before (like the S79A plan), assuming I can get the day off from school. Of course, they'd probably prefer that I sleep through a class I already understand rather than go out and do something that benefits myself and the community. :D

Well, for you and anybody else who's interested, here's the meeting calendar:

October 2011

Monday, October 24th

Metro-North & LI Committees Mtg. — 8:30 a.m.

NYCT Committee Mtg. — 10:00 a.m.

MTA Bus Operations Committee Mtg. — 11:15 a.m.

B&T Committee Mtg. — 12:00 p.m.

Finance Committee Mtg. — 12:30 p.m.

CPOC Committee Mtg. — 1:45 p.m.

Diversity Committee Mtg. — 3:00 p.m.

Wednesday, October 26th

Board Mtg. — 9:30 a.m.

November 2011

Monday, November 14th

Audit Committee Mtg. — 3:00 p.m.

Wednesday, November 16th

December 2011

Monday, December 19th

Safety & Security Committee Mtg. — 3:00 p.m.

Wednesday, December 21st

Let's see how this works out first. Hopefully, in 3 months, our current proposals will be moving along, so we'll be able to focus on something else.

What ideas did you have in mind besides the reverse-peak limited-stop service? I might be able to join you with a few ideas I've mentioned before (like the S79A plan), assuming I can get the day off from school. Of course, they'd probably prefer that I sleep through a class I already understand rather than go out and do something that benefits myself and the community. :D

Well there are a few things that I'd like to see more of, in particular bus shelters on Staten Island and more stops placed in less dangerous areas. For example that express bus stop there by Richmond Rd on the service road should be moved to a safer place. I'm not sure where, but it is simply too dark and filthy over there. We need more bus stops with paved sidewalks where people can walk to and from them and not face an obstacle course to get to them. Of course where I'm located I don't have this problem but there are some drop off stops along the X10 and X17 line that could be improved by simply having cement put down and such. This may be something that I'll write Molinaro about since he would be the one that could get some funding put aside for stuff like this. I believe he had a hand in the sidewalk that was placed over by Targee St. and the service road. Before it was just grass and dirt there and if it rained forget it.

This was brought up before and I forgot what the (MTA)'s response was but they need to address it.

My other ideas are to have more buses linking better so that folks aren't just missing the ferry or just missing their connection. This wouldn't require a huge amount of funds to implement, just some tweaking of the schedules.

Of course I'd like to see the S53 and S79 extended to 59th st in Brooklyn to give riders direct access to the (N) instead of having another transfer with the (R), but that's assuming the S53 can get limited stop service first.

Well there are a few things that I'd like to see more of, in particular bus shelters on Staten Island and more stops placed in less dangerous areas. For example that express bus stop there by Richmond Rd on the service road should be moved to a safer place. I'm not sure where, but it is simply too dark and filthy over there. We need more bus stops with paved sidewalks where people can walk to and from them and not face an obstacle course to get to them. Of course where I'm located I don't have this problem but there are some drop off stops along the X10 and X17 line that could be improved by simply having cement put down and such. This may be something that I'll write Molinaro about since he would be the one that could get some funding put aside for stuff like this. I believe he had a hand in the sidewalk that was placed over by Targee St. and the service road. Before it was just grass and dirt there and if it rained forget it.

This was brought up before and I forgot what the (MTA)'s response was but they need to address it.

My other ideas are to have more buses linking better so that folks aren't just missing the ferry or just missing their connection. This wouldn't require a huge amount of funds to implement, just some tweaking of the schedules.

Of course I'd like to see the S53 and S79 extended to 59th st in Brooklyn to give riders direct access to the (N) instead of having another transfer with the (R), but that's assuming the S53 can get limited stop service first.

You can try calling 311 to install bus stop shelters. I don't think the MTA can really help you there.

As far as the Richmond Road stop goes, it could just be moved to the nearside of Richmond Road. I believe there is a gas station there, and it's more in the open.

As far as the ferry goes, there should be communication between the B/Os and the ferry crew to hold the ferry when a bus is about to miss it. Some schedules can't really be adjusted to meet the ferry (for example, the S48 runs every 12 minutes, so it's hard to meet up with the ferry running every 30 minutes).

The thing that I've noticed is that you have bus routes that are given too little time to reach St. George, and then there are routes that are given too much time, and the B/Os crawl down the route and miss the ferry. For example, the S92 is supposed to take 28 minutes to go from CSI to St. George, but it can be done in as little as 19 minutes. You have plenty of B/Os crawling down the route, arriving early, but still late enough to miss the ferry.

You can try calling 311 to install bus stop shelters. I don't think the MTA can really help you there.

As far as the Richmond Road stop goes, it could just be moved to the nearside of Richmond Road. I believe there is a gas station there, and it's more in the open.

As far as the ferry goes, there should be communication between the buses and the crew to hold the ferry

Yeah, I know that, that's why I said in the post that I would write Molinaro about it. However, the (MTA) is the one that hired the company for putting in bus shelters, so they do have a part in it and we need more of them.

As for the ferry situation, that's true, but a big part of it is due to the buses being scheduled too close to the ferry.

Yeah, I know that, that's why I said in the post that I would write Molinaro about it. However, the (MTA) is the one that hired the company for putting in bus shelters, so they do have a part in it and we need more of them.

As for the ferry situation, that's true, but a big part of it is due to the buses being scheduled too close to the ferry.

I actually called 311 to ask about putting shelters by Richmond Avenue/Monsey Place (southbound), and Forest Avenue/Morningstar Road (westbound). For the Monsey Place one, they said it is infeasible to put a shelter there.

I'd like to have some of what they're smoking. There are plenty of people who use the stop, and a shelter could easily be installed.

The problem with the scheduling is that some of the headways aren't compatible with the ferry's headways (like the S48's 12 minute headway vs. the ferry's 30 minute headway). I guess they could try to space the buses so that they don't come evenly (e.g. make the headway 10 minutes and then 14 minutes) to try to get them to make the ferry.

The thing that I've noticed is that you have bus routes that are given too little time to reach St. George, and then there are routes that are given too much time, and the B/Os crawl down the route and miss the ferry. For example, the S92 is supposed to take 28 minutes to go from CSI to St. George, but it can be done in as little as 19 minutes. You have plenty of B/Os crawling down the route, arriving early, but still late enough to miss the ferry. :mad:

The problem with the scheduling is that some of the headways aren't compatible with the ferry's headways (like the S48's 12 minute headway vs. the ferry's 30 minute headway). I guess they could try to space the buses so that they don't come evenly (e.g. make the headway 10 minutes and then 14 minutes) to try to get them to make the ferry.

The thing that I've noticed is that you have bus routes that are given too little time to reach St. George, and then there are routes that are given too much time, and the B/Os crawl down the route and miss the ferry. For example, the S92 is supposed to take 28 minutes to go from CSI to St. George, but it can be done in as little as 19 minutes. You have plenty of B/Os crawling down the route, arriving early, but still late enough to miss the ferry. :mad:

Yeah and that's exactly why I stopped taking the S98 to the ferry. At that time two S98s were supposed to come within minutes of each other (a 7:01 and a 7:05 or something like that) and they'd generally arrive at say 07:15 or 07:20, so that 15 minute commute turned into a 30 minute one and then you include the factor of missing the boat, and it's easy to see folks having been moving more to the express bus in some cases on Staten Island. Having to make 3 connections means too many factors come into play for it to work successfully, especially when things are done half @ssed.

Yeah and that's exactly why I stopped taking the S98 to the ferry. At that time two S98s were supposed to come within minutes of each other (a 7:01 and a 7:05 or something like that) and they'd generally arrive at say 07:15 or 07:20, so that 15 minute commute turned into a 30 minute one and then you include the factor of missing the boat, and it's easy to see folks having been moving more to the express bus in some cases on Staten Island. Having to make 3 connections means too many factors come into play for it to work successfully, especially when things are done half @ssed.

Exactly. The worse part is that everything runs infrequently. The bus comes every 10 minutes, the ferry comes every 15 minutes, and the subway comes every 8-10 minutes. That could add an extra 30 minutes if the connections aren't timed right, not to mention that the express bus is naturally fast on the expressway.

For example, in theory, it should take me 75 minutes to get to Cooper Union: 30 minutes to St. George, plus a 30 minute ferry ride, plus 15 minutes on the subway. The quickest I've ever made it was 80 minutes (today was one of those lucky days). It's taken up to 2 hours on days when things messed up (I missed the ferry, or the bus wasn't at the other end or something like that). You can't plan your schedule when the travel time can vary by 40 minutes.

Note that I'm factoring in the fact that I run to CSI to catch the bus, rather than walking there. That shaves off 10 minutes, but bad connections can easily eat that up.

Exactly. The worse part is that everything runs infrequently. The bus comes every 10 minutes, the ferry comes every 15 minutes, and the subway comes every 8-10 minutes. That could add an extra 30 minutes if the connections aren't timed right, not to mention that the express bus is naturally fast on the expressway.

For example, in theory, it should take me 75 minutes to get to Cooper Union: 30 minutes to St. George, plus a 30 minute ferry ride, plus 15 minutes on the subway. The quickest I've ever made it was 80 minutes (today was one of those lucky days). It's taken up to 2 hours on days when things messed up (I missed the ferry, or the bus wasn't at the other end or something like that). You can't plan your schedule when the travel time can vary by 40 minutes.

Yeah and for me an 1 and 15 minute commute one way was turning into almost double that. That's when I knew I had to change something. Either that or risk getting fired for having such a hard time getting to work on time, so I chose the later in the X16. Leave it to the (MTA) to f*ck that up too though. :mad:

Yeah and for me an 1 and 15 minute commute one way was turning into almost double that. That's when I knew I had to change something. Either that or risk getting fired for having such a hard time getting to work on time, so I chose the latter in the X16. Leave it to the (MTA) to f*ck that up too though. :mad:

Well, at least there are other options. If worse came to worse, you could've gone over to the X13 and took that to Lower Manhattan for the subway (or taken the X14 and walked down from 23rd Street)

Well, at least there are other options. If worse came to worse, you could've gone over to the X13 and took that to Lower Manhattan for the subway (or taken the X14 and walked down from 23rd Street)

True, but it still sucks that the X14 has to make Downtown stops now. I wish I had the X2 near me. It runs later in the morning and evening and the service is generally pretty reliable. Only thing that sucks is that going back to Staten Island it runs down Lexington. Details details... I have to get this all sorted out eventually whenever its time for me to move, but I'll definitely be moving further South closer to the SIE, but I want to have access still to the X30 and X14, but be closer to Hylan Blvd and close enough to use the X10 and X12 too.

True, but it still sucks that the X14 has to make Downtown stops now. I wish I had the X2 near me. It runs later in the morning and evening and the service is generally pretty reliable. Only thing that sucks is that going back to Staten Island it runs down Lexington. Details details... I have to get this all sorted out eventually whenever its time for me to move, but I'll definitely be moving further South closer to the SIE, but I want to have access still to the X30 and X14, but be closer to Hylan Blvd and close enough to use the X10 and X12 too.

They should really have a few X14 trips bypass Lower Manhattan. Now, Downtown has extra service that it doesn't really need, and Midtown riders are stuck making all of the stops in Lower Manhattan. Maybe to cut back on costs, they could short-turn a few buses in Lower Manhattan.

That might be something to suggest at the next meeting as well. :D

They should really have a few X14 trips bypass Lower Manhattan. Now, Downtown has extra service that it doesn't really need, and Midtown riders are stuck making all of the stops in Lower Manhattan. Maybe to cut back on costs, they could short-turn a few buses in Lower Manhattan.

That might be something to suggest at the next meeting as well. :D

Out of curiosity, why those particular express buses? If you lived in Arrochar, you wouldn't have access to the X12 or X30, but you would have access to all of the Hylan Blvd routes, as well as the X10, X14, and X15.

Because the Gowanus is generally a mess in the morning and I avoid going that way when possible and go through New Jersey instead, so I would want to be near one bus that went through NJ, but I don't want to be too isolated, especially since I'm not up for getting a car just to drive to the express bus. I'd prefer to be able to walk to a few express buses and have the option of car service when necessary like when I have Whole Foods bags or whatever.

As for the X14, that's been on my mind; Midtown service in the morning has been killed on the X14 because it takes too long to get through Downtown and so many folks switched over to the X2. Adding one more bus in the morning and moving the last bus further back in the evening is also I idea that I would propose. The Downtown stops at night aren't that bad since there isn't as much traffic and stops.

Because the Gowanus is generally a mess in the morning and I avoid going that way when possible and go through New Jersey instead, so I would want to be near one bus that went through NJ, but I don't want to be too isolated, especially since I'm not up for getting a car just to drive to the express bus. I'd prefer to be able to walk to a few express buses and have the option of car service when necessary like when I have Whole Foods bags or whatever.

As for the X14, that's been on my mind; Midtown service in the morning has been killed on the X14 because it takes too long to get through Downtown and so many folks switched over to the X2. Adding one more bus in the morning and moving the last bus further back in the evening is also I idea that I would propose. The Downtown stops at night aren't that bad since there isn't as much traffic and stops.

Yeah, I figured that out after I clicked "Submit Reply", and by the time I got back to delete it, you had already answered my question.

But the thing is that further south, you lose the X30 (unless you moved to say, Castleton Corners and took car service to Forest Avenue). I guess that would be your backup option, and your main option would be the X42.

In any case, how many riders would you estimate transfer from the X14 to the X2 (per bus)?

Archived