Will Staten Island see select bus service

Staten Island

Yeah, I figured that out after I clicked "Submit Reply", and by the time I got back to delete it, you had already answered my question.

In any case, how many riders would you estimate transfer from the X14 to the X2 (per bus)?

They don't transfer. They just altered their commutes. When I have taken the X2, I've noticed some old faces that I used to see on the X14 and that's when I realized what was going on. A few times I have actually taken the X14 and got off and waited for an X2 there at Hylan and Narrows Rd South, but I have an Unlimited Express Bus card #1 and #2 most folks don't foresee things the way I do when it comes to transit. That isn't to say that I'm a whiz or anything, but most express bus riders don't want to make several transfers, so they'll either change their commute or they'll just bare it out.

For example if folks think they've missed the last X30, some of them may just take the X17J and have their wife or husband pick them up or whatever (I've done this back in the day where I've taken the X17J to the first stop and then walked over by the old SI Hotel (which is no more :D) and then waited for car service there), but they're not going to make a ton of transfers. It's almost as if it is too much work for them. lol I think their thought process is one express bus and then jump in the car, though some riders do transfer at Hylan or Fingerboard, but that isn't nearly as common as it used to be back in the day.

Speaking of express buses, the other day I noticed two X42s running really late and I was wondering if they added more X42s or something, but I think they were just that late. We're talking almost 18:30 at 46th & 5th...

The eastern section of Queens have no subway service at all. SBS will do wonders there.

From my experiences buses in eastern queens are mostly pretty fast enough I didn't know they needed SBS. The Q5 isn't bad the N4 is a rocket before slowing down in nassau to a crawl. Q30 shocked me in terms of quickness. Q44 isn't really slow enough but others are different. So That was why I am skeptical about SBS in queens cause it feels unnessesary. If you are really about speed you can use LIRR I used it from locust manor to long beach

They don't transfer. They just altered their commutes. When I have taken the X2, I've noticed some old faces that I used to see on the X14 and that's when I realized what was going on. A few times I have actually taken the X14 and got off and waited for an X2 there at Hylan and Narrows Rd South, but I have an Unlimited Express Bus card #1 and #2 most folks don't foresee things the way I do when it comes to transit. That isn't to say that I'm a whiz or anything, but most express bus riders don't want to make several transfers, so they'll either change their commute or they'll just bare it out.

I would think that a lot of express bus riders would have an unlimited MetroCard, though. Think about it: After 10 rides (one workweek), you're already ahead of the game, and if you work on the weekends or use any other buses at all, it's a no-brainer.

I remember your example about the couple who refused to take the subway, despite the fact that the bus was stuck in traffic. I guess it shows that if they won't transfer to a frequent subway train, they won't transfer to a more infrequent express bus.

nuff said I won't bother explaining you live there figure it out.

The only route he would connect with is the S57, which doesn't help. The X31 would be just about the most random route he could take (except for a route on the West Shore Expressway). It leaves him off nowhere near his home, and there are plenty of other options (the X10, X14, X30, and X42) that leave him off closer to home.

The eastern section of Queens have no subway service at all. SBS will do wonders there.

It would be nice if the LIRR charged the local bus fare for travel within Queens. While I do agree that lines like the Q5 and Q43 could use +SBS+, I think those passengers would be better off if they could take the LIRR and transfer to the subway for free.

I would think that a lot of express bus riders would have an unlimited MetroCard, though. Think about it: After 10 rides (one workweek), you're already ahead of the game, and if you work on the weekends or use any other buses at all, it's a no-brainer.

I remember your example about the couple who refused to take the subway, despite the fact that the bus was stuck in traffic. I guess it shows that if they won't transfer to a frequent subway train, they won't transfer to a more infrequent express bus.

The thing is that the Unlimited Express Bus Plus cards are not as easily available as say Pay-Per-Ride cards. For example, at my old job, we had a Metrocard program where you could have monies deducted from your paycheck and then you would be given your Metrocards. They carried the weekly, the monthly and bi-weekly regular Unlimited Metrocards, but not the Unlimited Express Bus Plus card. :(

My boss would give me Transit checks, but he actually never took the monies out for them which was cool, so for a few months I basically got free transportation to and from work. :cool:

The problem was the Transit checks were not accepted at the token booths, so I would have to go to a store or a check cashing place and use them and they want the exact amount since they aren't supposed to give change. It was a pain in the @ss to get them (the Unlimited Express Bus Plus Metrocards) because some places would run out OR I would need to put money with them since the cost for each one was an odd amount and I was given about $150.00 worth of Transit Checks... Eventually I gave up because it was too much of a hassle after a while going on a hunt for Metrocards.

Most folks actually don't use them though of course some people do. The reason I know is because believe it or some express bus riders don't work 5 days a week or they don't use the express bus enough to justify buying that card. For example there was a lady that I used to take the X16 with who worked Monday through Thursday and worked from home on Fridays so she would have a Pay-Per-Ride card or sometimes just change. I actually dipped my card for her a few times because she didn't even have change on her. :( That shows you how frequently some of them use the express bus.

Other express bus riders that I spoke to in casual conversation said that they simply don't use the express bus enough to justify getting that card or they're afraid that they'd lose some days when taking off for vacation or holidays or whatever. Most of them don't use the express bus on the weekends since they have cars. On the X30 once there was a guy that gave away his card because he was going on vacation and said the card had a few days left on it, so some people do use them.

Another thing I find is that many express bus riders won't go near a subway and that's the easiest place to get a Metrocard so most of them don't even use Metrocards. They'll get a sh*t load of change (quarters) or maybe they'll pick up a Metrocard at a store somewhere if the stores have them.... I find that many of the stores on Staten Island near me run out fast which is another reason I just get them at Grand Central since I frequent the station often for lunch or when going to Whole Foods sometimes and buy two weeks worth and put them on my Amex card.

Suffice it so say that the change annoys me. I think folks my age do get them more though because they're more likely to travel on the weekends and really get the use of it. I do lose a day here and there. Like last Sunday I stayed in so I lost that day, but I travel so much that even if I lose a day or to the card is still worth paying $50.00 for. Later this month I'll be using it a ton since I have to visit clients so I'll be going back and forth on the express bus and then I'll just have my boss reimburse me, but that'll be a good a good $20 - 30 bucks for me for whatever, probably use it towards a nice lunch at one of my spots... ;)

The only route he would connect with is the S57, which doesn't help. The X31 would be just about the most random route he could take (except for a route on the West Shore Expressway). It leaves him off nowhere near his home, and there are plenty of other options (the X10, X14, X30, and X42) that leave him off closer to home.

Exactly, thank you. I thought I was clear before, but apparently not... :( It's funny when people think they know which routes you should use better than you and they don't even know where I live. I've studied every single route possible and theoretically I could use the X31 just like I've used the X17J, but at least the X17 leaves me on Richmond Avenue along a commercial strip. The X31 leaves me along the service road with nothing but houses.

Have you started using them again, since $50 is a round number? Or it's a hassle to start and stop the deductions from your paycheck?

No because my current office doesn't have them, plus I get double points on my Amex card so I just buy two at a time and make do that way. I am considering asking my boss about getting the program for us but I'm not sure how much of a hassle it would be. The funny thing is just about everybody in my office that I asked about it didn't know it even existed. ;)

It would be nice if the LIRR charged the local bus fare for travel within Queens. While I do agree that lines like the Q5 and Q43 could use +SBS+, I think those passengers would be better off if they could take the LIRR and transfer to the subway for free.

LIRR local fare is on par with local bus fare at $2.25 or $2.75 no peak fare cause ur not going from zone 1. I think Q43 should become like Q53 100% limited stops upto 212th place. Due to the Q1 and 36 being available Q43 does NOT need local stops period.

Yeah that couple I have a nickname for em the IDIOT COUPLE Obviously travel time is not important to them as they don't use logic in their commute fools like those are what keep redundant lines moving

LIRR local fare is on par with local bus fare at $2.25 or $2.75 no peak fare cause ur not going from zone 1. I think Q43 should become like Q53 100% limited stops upto 212th place. Due to the Q1 and 36 being available Q43 does NOT need local stops period.

Yeah that couple I have a nickname for em the IDIOT COUPLE Obviously travel time is not important to them as they don't use logic in their commute fools like those are what keep redundant lines moving

1) The LIRR doesn't accept transfers from the subway.

2) I'll agree with you about the Q43.

3) Chances are that they factored in the extra time when they made the trip. Maybe they just felt tired that day and didn't feel like going down the stairs to the subway.

Hopefully all of the connections I got will be able to help us out. :cool:

I tell you, it was totally worth going to that meeting. I took an hour out of my schedule and hopefully it'll lead to the improvements I suggested becoming reality. I'm sure Via Garibaldi feels the same way.

Exactly!:tup:

I most certainly do. It's good when you can try to make a difference in the transportation that you use everyday and I certainly intend to do just that. It's not point in b*tching about bad service if you don't make any noise about trying to improve the situation.

Bingo!:tup:

Another thing I was wondering why isn't there Limited service for the S78??? call it the S88 When it hits Richmond Ave it can continue to do all the stops as a 78....

The SIR is pretty much the limited, even if it isn't directly on Hylan Blvd. Also, when the S79 becomes +SBS+, that will pretty much be the Hylan Blvd limited.

A limited can work when it parallels a train if the route has high ridership (like some of the Manhattan limiteds). It works relatively well on the B38 because it has high ridership and the (G) is pretty infrequent.

The SIR is pretty much the limited, even if it isn't directly on Hylan Blvd. Also, when the S79 becomes +SBS+, that will pretty much be the Hylan Blvd limited.

A limited can work when it parallels a train if the route has high ridership (like some of the Manhattan limiteds). It works relatively well on the B38 because it has high ridership and the (G) is pretty infrequent.

Ugh I am so confused... I thought the S79 SBS was canned????? :confused:

I'm not sure what to believe anymore...

Ugh I am so confused... I though the S79 SBS was canned????? :confused:

I'm not sure what to believe anymore...

That was quoted from Wikipedia, and a while back, somebody found a more reliable source that disproved Wikipedia (at least that's how I remember it).

I found this on the DOT website: http://www.nyc.gov/html/brt/html/next/hylan_blvd.shtml

...but I don't see Hylan Blvd mentioned on this page: http://www.mta.info/mta/planning/sbs/routes.html

I don't remember an official source saying that they were outright going to cancel it, though. :confused:

So what was with all those traffic checkers along hylan blvd about 2 weeks ago....

from page av, I took the 59 to the 79.... soon as I got off the 59 (on richmond, off hylan), I started seeing them.... from richmond av (not sure what they were doing at that SB S78 stop, across the street from where the 54 & the 89 terminates, though) on down to that bus shelter on hylan blvd/narrows rd south, there were checkers along what you'd consider to be the "major xfer points" along the S79 route.....

I believe they're in the midst of studying "data" along the S79 for the purposes of SBS......

So what was with all those traffic checkers along hylan blvd about 2 weeks ago....

from page av, I took the 59 to the 79.... soon as I got off the 59 (on richmond, off hylan), I started seeing them.... from richmond av (not sure what they were doing at that SB S78 stop, across the street from where the 54 & the 89 terminates, though) on down to that bus shelter on hylan blvd/narrows rd south, there were checkers along what you'd consider to be the "major xfer points" along the S79 route.....

I believe they're in the midst of studying "data" along the S79 for the purposes of SBS......

lol... I see you get around... I'm starting to wonder if you've rode more SI express lines than me... :eek:

It's possible since I don't do the fan trips, but anyway I've used these SI express bus lines thus far:

X1, X2, X7, X9, X10B, X10C, X11, X12, (X13 when it existed) X14, X15, X16 (when it existed), X17C, X17J, X30, X42

Meant to ask you this when you talked about how you took the X22 a while back.

It would make sense if they put them at a couple of small stops. The thing is that if the ridership is too spread out (the transfer points don't have a lot more ridership than the little stops), then the limited doesn't do any good. They should've stationed a couple at some of the smaller stops just to make sure that the ridership wasn't high there. A lot of the stops in New Dorp have pretty high ridership.

Now if only we could start seeing those checkers along the S53 route.

By the way, does the S59 terminate in that loop (where the S54 and S89 terminate) off-peak?

Archived