M4/6s to be killed too/thoughts

mtattrain

this is old news... MNRR is ordering 25 unpowered trailers with an option to order an additional 25. this will allow them to run odd train lengths by placing a trailer in between two married pairs (9101-9102+9500+9105-9106). go here for more details and discussion: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=24214&start=2055

this page and onwards.

this is old news... MNRR is ordering 25 unpowered trailers with an option to order an additional 25. this will allow them to run odd train lengths by placing a trailer in between two married pairs (9101-9102+9500+9105-9106). go here for more details and discussion: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=24214&start=2055

this page and onwards.

Won't these un-powered cars go in between pairs at the 'B' ends; essentially having two 'B' ends themselves?

Check this out, if you haven't already: http://trn.trains.com/en/Railroad%20News/News%20Wire/2011/07/Connecticut%20places%20order%20for%20un-powered%20M-8%20railcars.aspx

What do you think will happen with the M4s and M6s, since they are just 20-30 years old?

I think the M6s will be safe, it makes no sense to throw em out they're not that old. Those might be used for New Canaan branch and other rush hour extras. M4s might be scrapped, we know the M2s for certain are gone. Theres still plans to give M8s to Shore Line East so I dont think the M8 order is going to kill off all the older cars, especially ones that still have plenty of good years ahead of them.

What may end up happening since the M8 maintenance facility is in New Haven, M8 may just run out of New Haven for service on the main line and shoreline east service. While as mentioned by lilbluefoxie the M4/M6 runs on the New Canaan Branch and peak runs. I assume the current Shoreline East equipment will be moved to the Hartford-Springfield Line whenever that service comes about. Besides adding a few stations I dont know why its taking CT so long to start some kind of limited service to at least Hartford.

Won't these un-powered cars go in between pairs at the 'B' ends; essentially having two 'B' ends themselves?

yes, that is true... they will be cab-less and motor-less, so they will need to be coupled to at least one married pair at all times to be shunted around (not withstanding any locomotive powered moves). They will however, be equipped with their own pantograph set for independent HEP supply from the caternary.

I think the M6s will be safe, it makes no sense to throw em out they're not that old. Those might be used for New Canaan branch and other rush hour extras. M4s might be scrapped, we know the M2s for certain are gone. Theres still plans to give M8s to Shore Line East so I dont think the M8 order is going to kill off all the older cars, especially ones that still have plenty of good years ahead of them.

Let's hope MNRR isn't as dumb as NJ Transit. The comet IIIs and IVs came and the Arrow IIs went bye bye at 27 years old. And the second the ALP-46As came in, the 44s were sidebanked at 21 years old. (Some of them still 15-17 years old).

Let's hope MNRR isn't as dumb as NJ Transit. The comet IIIs and IVs came and the Arrow IIs went bye bye at 27 years old. And the second the ALP-46As came in, the 44s were sidebanked at 21 years old. (Some of them still 15-17 years old).

There are a good number of M8s destined for Shore Line East, while testing and actual construction for that hasnt happened yet, its not a bad guess to say that the MTA is going to need at least the M6s for service at that point.

Archived