Where were you on August 28th, 1991.......

R68 Subway Car

I was at home, in my crib, drinking ma baba and sucking my pacifier (no homo). And i was sleeping and dreaming and playing with my toys and watching kiddy cartoons and and and annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd... Thats about it.. I WAS A BABY lol!

My God I didn't realize how many young people are on this site. I'm with Shortline, it makes me feel like i'm some old relic or something lol. I was 12 when it happened and I was visiting relatives in Florida when it happened. It was the first thing on the news there and I was in shock. The damage was so severe. When I got back to NYC a few days later, my grandfather drove my mom and I downtown and I remember we couldn't drive around Union Square because they were afraid that the traffic would cause the street to collapse because many columns were destroyed from the derailment. It was all over the news here even when I returned. The (4)(5) and (6) were obviously all jacked up but a week later, they got things rebuilt and the Lex line was back in service south of Grand Central. It was timely too because school JUST started when service went back to normal. That was such a wild week, even with me being away when it happened. I can't believe that it was so long ago now. Its like yesterday when that happened.

I remember that day clearly. My mom went to the Hub in Third Avenue to get me a new backpack and outfits for school (I was about to enter the 4th grade that fall). My uncle was visiting our house, and I think he was watching Channel 7. I saw the breaking news on TV and I was shocked to see the disaster at Union Square. I felt sad for the victims, and yes, I can't believe this crash happened two decades ago. ;)

Archived