Where do you think the mta should add a transfer passage on the Subway?

SubwayMustang

It will be totally impossible because of penn station and stores are all in the way. I said that to myself everytime why there no transfer between 1, 2, 3, and a, c, e. It still no way to do it. you can do that transfer at 42 street. just one stop more north of it.

How about a connection between the (A)(C) & (E) and the (1)(2) & (3) at Penn Station? How on Earth are these two stations not connected?!

1) It isn't necessary. For connections between Seventh and Eighth Avenues, you have Times Sq/Port Authority to the north and Park Place/Chambers St-World Trade Center to the south. Plus, people who get off at Penn Station usually aren't looking for subway connections, but rather regional rail ones.

2) You have a building on top of the two stations and you can't move the turnstiles onto the concourse level since not everyone who enters Penn Station (the building) is heading for the subway.

I also take subway, ferry and SBS too.

I agree with Mike and Via that walking to Bowling Green or Broad St Station is not far either, even to SBS Machine at South Ferry Loop.

Add to my post.

Out of System Transfer- MetroCard Transfers Only

South Ferry-Whitehall St, Bowling Green and Broad St Station

Canal St (6)(J)M)(N)(Q)(R) and Canal St (A)(C)(E).

34th St-Penn Station (1)(2)(3) and (A)(C)(E)

21st St (G) and Hunters Point Av (7) is right to next to each other.

Free transfer tunnel passegeway

5th Av-53rd St (E)(M) and 57th St (6th Av). Tunnel could connect end of 5th Av Entrance to 5th Av/53rd St & 55th St entrance of 57th St (F) Station. Maybe to 50th St entrance of 47th-50th Sts/Rockfeller Center.

57th St-7th Av (N)(Q)(R) & 59th St-Columbus Circle (1)(A)(B)(C)(D)

Bedford Park Blvd and Fordham Rd (4) and (B)(D)

MikeG, can you tell me Franklin Av Station how undergounrd IND Fulton St Station connected to elevated BMT Franklin Av Shuttle as well as Myrtle-Wyckoff Av on underground BMT Canarsie Line to elevated BMT Myrtle Av Line?

Of course he's the biggest foamer ever. He wants old redundant things to be brought back just for the sake of foaming. He doesn't think about the realism, or the logic. He just wants to foam and take old pictures, and foam some more about how he got that picture.

LOL!!!

Actually, what I look at in looking to re-open the old SF station is that people today want convenience. Being able to access the east side IRT directly from the ferry terminal without having to go outside, especially in bad weather to me is something a lot of commuters would want the option of, and I believe at the time old SF was closed there were commuters who wanted the station to remain open for Lexington service.

In this version, the old (S) would ONLY be used when the (5) isn't going to Brooklyn during the daytime and evening OR it's a situation where only the (4) is operating to BG and is continuing to Brooklyn (the (6) would handle the terminal overnights). Beyond that, you have many people who live down there that didn't back when the old (S) was operating who might not want to necessarily deal with walking to BG (again, especially in bad weather) to get the (4)/(5). I suspect a reopening of the OUTER loop of SF would get enough ridership to warrant doing so (there is no way I would ever re-open the inner loop).

My perspective is NOT that of a foamer but one who sees where such would be very helpful, especially if in the overnights it creates (with the (6)) a one-seat ride to SF without the walk from BG for those who either are too lazy to walk from BG or would rather not want to deal with walking outside, especially late nights (and I suspect a lot of women in particular would prefer late nights to take the (6) to SF over the (4) to BG solely for that reason).

^

:smh: Spending a few hundreds of thousands for an unnecessary service just because people feel unsafe at night? If they felt that way, they wouldn't be bothering taking the subways in the first place and would take the taxi or a car service. And what about the other boroughs where there are no other subway options? They have to walk all the way home, so why should people from BG get special treatment just to avoid walking above ground for 2 blocks?

I also take subway, ferry and SBS too.

I agree with Mike and Via that walking to Bowling Green or Broad St Station is not far either, even to SBS Machine at South Ferry Loop.

Add to my post.

Out of System Transfer- MetroCard Transfers Only

South Ferry-Whitehall St, Bowling Green and Broad St Station

Canal St (6)(J)M)(N)(Q)(R) and Canal St (A)(C)(E).

34th St-Penn Station (1)(2)(3) and (A)(C)(E)

21st St (G) and Hunters Point Av (7) is right to next to each other.

Free transfer tunnel passegeway

5th Av-53rd St (E )(M) and 57th St (6th Av). Tunnel could connect end of 5th Av Entrance to 5th Av/53rd St & 55th St entrance of 57th St (F) Station. Maybe to 50th St entrance of 47th-50th Sts/Rockfeller Center.

57th St-7th Av (N)(Q)( R) & 59th St-Columbus Circle (1)(A)(B)(C)(D)

Bedford Park Blvd and Fordham Rd (4) and (B)(D)

MikeG, can you tell me Franklin Av Station how undergounrd IND Fulton St Station connected to elevated BMT Franklin Av Shuttle as well as Myrtle-Wyckoff Av on underground BMT Canarsie Line to elevated BMT Myrtle Av Line?

THe Canal OOS transfer is pointless, they are too far apart. When the lines are closer at CHambers/Cortlandt, that's where the transfer makes sense.

(7)-(G), yes it is close, but the 21st St stop is in terrible shape, plus there is the physical connection at Court Sq now.

For that 'tunnel' passageway, it makes no sense. Why go thru all that hassle to build it when people can double back by transfering at 47-50th.

@Wallyhorse: Wait a minute, I'm lost. So let me get this straight, not only do you want some type of shuttle that runs from Bowling Green to South Ferry. You also want to extend the (6) to Bowling Green late nights? Not only is there absolutely no need for the (6) to go beyond the Bridge late nights. There also isn't a need for this damn shuttle to be revived.

It's two. f'ing. blocks. TWO. F'ING. BLOCKS. And even if it wasn't that close, Whitehall St and the (R) line are just as close as the old South Ferry station and the (R) has connections to Lexington Ave at Canal St. They aren't reopening the old South Ferry. You can take that to the bank. There really isn't much to be gained by doing what you're suggesting, besides an increase on the (MTA)'s operations budget.

If someone's heading to the Ferry Terminal from anywhere from 14th Street and below, they should take the (N) or (R) trains, which stop just as close as the (1) does at Whitehall St. Anyone north of 14th Street can transfer to the (N) or (R). It's not that difficult. Stop acting like it's a 15 mile walk uphill in the snow each way to get there. And before anyone says "oh the (R) is slow", so is a shuttle that has to align itself to moving platforms.

There are several subway station to elevated station transfer points in the NYC subway system. Usually such transfer stations include a series of stairways and and often a mezzanine level for riders to make the transfer. In addition most if not all of the stations also have escalators and/or elevators to connect the various levels. Some of these kinds of transfer stations have all three elements.

As a person who lives on Staten Island, and who commutes by ferry almost every day, and who uses the subway and/or buses to get about - I agree that it would be GREAT if the #4 or #5 trains stopped DIRECTLY under the Whitehall Street Ferry Terminal. I admit to at times wanting a quick weather/traffic/congestion free transfer to/from the #4 and #5 trains. I have also worked or lived in every borough of NYC, have the subways as a hobby, and try to keep informed about urban issues. However just because an idea might be "great" is not the same as wanting it come about in real life due to the many issues that would be generated. In order for a #4 or #5 train station to exist right under the ferry terminal, the station would have to be built very far underground - like the N and R station. Which would mean very crowded entrances and stairways. (The original Bowling Green station only had one entrance - the original still standing head-house alongside Battery Park - ALL of the other entrances were the mid-1970's renovation.) The original entrance to the N and R Whitehall Street station closest to the ferry also had their problems, as well as the entrance to the old #1 station. Suggestions at attempting to revive the South Ferry Shuttle - divert our attention away from REAL THINGS that should be done - and into fantasy areas that will not see the light of day, things that will never be realized.

The old terminal for the #1 train at South Ferry had its charm, its history and several issues - of which I know well. I like the new terminals - both ferry and subway - even their faults. I'm glad that the days of the temporary Whitehall Ferry Terminal are long gone - while I firmly believe that the current should really have more seats. Yes, there were plenty of arguments on the transit forums about the new #1 subway terminal - most of the doomsday predictions have not been borne out - and that is good. Just my thoughts.

The "good old days weren't always so good" and "today is as not bad as it may seem" - a paraphrase of Billy Joel.

Mike

There are several subway station to elevated station transfer points in the NYC subway system. Usually such transfer stations include a series of stairways and and often a mezzanine level for riders to make the transfer. In addition most if not all of the stations also have escalators and/or elevators to connect the various levels. Some of these kinds of transfer stations have all three elements.

As a person who lives on Staten Island, and who commutes by ferry almost every day, and who uses the subway and/or buses to get about - I agree that it would be GREAT if the #4 or #5 trains stopped DIRECTLY under the Whitehall Street Ferry Terminal. I admit to at times wanting a quick weather/traffic/congestion free transfer to/from the #4 and #5 trains. I have also worked or lived in every borough of NYC, have the subways as a hobby, and try to keep informed about urban issues. However just because an idea might be "great" is not the same as wanting it come about in real life due to the many issues that would be generated. In order for a #4 or #5 train station to exist right under the ferry terminal, the station would have to be built very far underground - like the N and R station. Which would mean very crowded entrances and stairways. (The original Bowling Green station only had one entrance - the original still standing head-house alongside Battery Park - ALL of the other entrances were the mid-1970's renovation.) The original entrance to the N and R Whitehall Street station closest to the ferry also had their problems, as well as the entrance to the old #1 station. Suggestions at attempting to revive the South Ferry Shuttle - divert our attention away from REAL THINGS that should be done - and into fantasy areas that will not see the light of day, things that will never be realized.

The old terminal for the #1 train at South Ferry had its charm, its history and several issues - of which I know well. I like the new terminals - both ferry and subway - even their faults. I'm glad that the days of the temporary Whitehall Ferry Terminal are long gone - while I firmly believe that the current should really have more seats. Yes, there were plenty of arguments on the transit forums about the new #1 subway terminal - most of the doomsday predictions have not been borne out - and that is good. Just my thoughts.

The "good old days weren't always so good" and "today is as not bad as it may seem" - a paraphrase of Billy Joel.

Mike

The only way for a direct East Side IRT connection at the Ferry terminal would be to completely renovate the South Ferry inner loop platform and connect it to the new South Ferry station beneath it, at a cost of over 100 million dollars. This would include knocking down the wall next to the track, creating an open 10 car platform, and placing CHAINED gap fillers at each of the extreme car doors (2 x 10 cars = 20 x $1,000,000 = $20,000,000 just on buying gap fillers!), and possibly even gates in front of the areas where doors do not open for safety. It would also require placing CCTV's and monitors in the stations, as well as limiting access to the station to no more than a couple of staircases so that platform observation was safe with so many screens to follow.

And as can easily be inferred, the cost of doing all that would not be worth it for such a small benefit.

How about a connection between the (A)(C) & (E) and the (1)(2) & (3) at Penn Station? How on Earth are these two stations not connected?!

That could be an out of station transfer. (We need more of those.) But theres one at Times Square and at 14th Street you can take the (L).

And about the South Ferry-Bowling Green idea. There are already enough problems at Bowling Green already! Every time a (4) or (5) gets near there is Train Traffic. It's a bottleneck! Yesterday I was on a Downtown (4) (I was going to brooklyn). The (4) stopped on the Uptown side! And five minutes later the T/O says In one minute this train is going uptown. If you want to go downtown get on the downtown (4) which will be arriving soon. So everyone else and I had to rush up and down stairs!!! WTF!

Archived