What makes a bus's value depreciate so much?

dmouse

I Honestly wonder sometimes,

Especially an MTA NYCT bus, which when purchased was worth somewhere near 500k/Half a million dollars and then 12 years later the bus ends up in a used bus lot for 2k.

How does a bus really lose its value to the point its worth the price of an average used car?

Asking as I saw an RTS somewhere in MTA colors asking price around 2 grand.

Especially an MTA NYCT bus, which when purchased was worth somewhere near 500k/Half a million dollars and then 12 years later the bus ends up in a used bus lot for 2k.

How does a bus really lose its value to the point its worth the price of an average used car?

I don't have the technical know-how to give an intricate analysis on the details of vehicle depreciation to satisfy the answer you're looking for, but I can tell you that the second any bus/car/train/plane leaves its place of origin and starts running in passenger service, it looses value. The wear and tear of prolonged use, specifically mechanical use plays a big part in the depreciation of vehicles. And buses get more punishment than your car, which is why such a high priced vehicle can end up being worth slightly more than a used Toyota once it reaches the end of its useful passenger life.

The thing is that people buy used cars because they're cheaper. Who buys buses? No transit system is going to buy a 12 year old beat up bus unless they're in some third world country.

Not true. I believe San Francisco just bought a bunch of old RTS's recently. If the buses run, some transit company will probably buy it. They are looking for something that moves and has parts that can be replaced, not something to win a car show.

What about those ex Bee-Line O5s running through Queens?

For the time getting maybe 2-3 years out of them for the price paid was a good deal. But then expecting buses that are 'lightly used' and thrown into heavily demanding lines is basically throwing gas on the fire. ALso to add to that, LGA is known for poor maintenance, so that made those buses even worse.

Overall RTSs are the most durable buses still around as well as the C40LFs. Orions, well I never was a fan of them, but if the right depot can maintain them well, those buses should last just as long as an RTS, imo. [Disclaimer: as a bus fan with no technical knowledge of the mechanics of a bus].

$2,000 for a fully functional bus?? It might be worth 2 grand in a scrap inoperative condition, but if its running $15,000 at least

$2,000 for a fully functional bus?? It might be worth 2 grand in a scrap inoperative condition, but if its running $15,000 at least

Yeah, about $15K sounds about right. I saw our old VIs listed for that much on the Internet at one point (googling "buses for sale" for the lulz). The buses weren't in great shape (a disclaimer underneath the picture said anyone who wanted it should find themselves a mechanic and a tow truck if they wanted to get the thing off the lot) but presumably a decent overhaul would have gotten them up and running. Incidentally, why would someone sell a functional RTS for $2000? Those things are built like tanks and (assuming it hadn't been stripped for parts) probably would have lasted until 5-10 years after recommended retirement easy.

Ive seen an Orion V suburban used asking price- 22k

And you'd be surprised if you search eBay there's a Functional GMC RTS just has the seats unbolted, going on around for that much. Most I saw for a used RTS was a 93 TMC from the southwest for like 14k

Archived