Article on the new subway map for october

lilbluefoxie

I picked up the new map at Busfest and discovered they reverted back to the old school colors, I honestly like them better...

I think you got the September 2011 edition.

Agreed, and the strip maps would be a nice addition too. :cool::tup:

That would totally make the map better, but they'd have to give up the railroad side.

I picked up the new map at Busfest and discovered they reverted back to the old school colors, I honestly like them better...

I think you got the September 2011 edition.

Agreed, and the strip maps would be a nice addition too. :cool::tup:

That would totally make the map better, but they'd have to give up the railroad side.

Thank goodness they got rid of the shadow, that was honestly stupid.

They didn't even have the shadow line for the bus map when they revamped it with the "rainbow flag-esque" cover.

If they brought back the service guide and the cross streets the buses ran on in the bubbles that listed the connections to buses at certain stops that would be great.

Thank goodness they got rid of the shadow, that was honestly stupid.

They didn't even have the shadow line for the bus map when they revamped it with the "rainbow flag-esque" cover.

If they brought back the service guide and the cross streets the buses ran on in the bubbles that listed the connections to buses at certain stops that would be great.

The service guide's definitely needed. If it causes the map to be too condensed, then they may want to post one on each platform. I can't even count the amount of tourists I see waiting at Rockefeller for the (B) or the (M) during off-hours.

I thought the bubbles were helpful, as well - it encouraged me to take buses more often - but my out-of-town friends thought it made the map too cluttered. I guess the MTA took that perspective as well.

The service guide's definitely needed. If it causes the map to be too condensed, then they may want to post one on each platform. I can't even count the amount of tourists I see waiting at Rockefeller for the (B) or the (M) during off-hours.

I thought the bubbles were helpful, as well - it encouraged me to take buses more often - but my out-of-town friends thought it made the map too cluttered. I guess the MTA took that perspective as well.

As someone who has edited these maps (to produce fantasy maps) in Adobe Illustrator, I'll say the shadow effect employed by the MTA on the June 2011 subway maps could have been better. The intentions were good, but the effect was horribly done.

In my opinion, the proper way to do it would be to outline the strokes, copy them to a layer below, offset the outlines below to make them a bit bigger, and then lower its luminosity and saturation. The resulting effect would not be too distracting, but provide some of the brighter lines with enough contrast to distinguish them from the background.

See this one for an example: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=208418&postcount=1. The yellow lines pop out slightly. A stronger effect would have made this better.

I'm so glad the green color for parks is back. It's a much more appealing color. The shadow looked nice on the last map but it was too much IMO. Maybe a compromise between the two maps would work out nicely. The latest map still keeps some shadow for the Broadway lines which looks nice.

Archived