New 180th Street

Andres

i went to 180th street the other day to see what the new area looked like after rehab because last time i was there the yard next to the train shop was dismantled. i noticed the new signals and the yard was brand new and a new track config on the S/B local but other than that was there anything else done to the area during the summer? and is there any estimated complete date on the station Mezzanine and cross under?

Not to get off topic but IMO the (Q44) Bronx Terminal should be at the East 180th Street station. The current terminal at 180th/Boston Rd. is in middle of 'nowwhere.' At least at 180th, (Q44) riders can transfer at an 'express' station on the (2) and (5) subway lines. Not to mention a location where B/O's on the (Q44)can use the rest rooms, etc.

And on topic, this upgrade is good news as 180th is an important transfer station. Not to mention the Bronx is far behind the rest of the city in being ADA accessible.

funny thing i live rite next too 180th st and i also have a cousin working there, to what i heard they should be done by the end of march or so giving the weather like always that can push it back if its bad but march they said, but they did do alot of work there at the yard and north of the station all of that is done and ahead of time.

this is a video of the union port yard that is all done now it looks very good

Not to get off topic but IMO the (Q44) Bronx Terminal should be at the East 180th Street station. The current terminal at 180th/Boston Rd. is in middle of 'nowwhere.' At least at 180th, (Q44) riders can transfer at an 'express' station on the (2) and (5) subway lines. Not to mention a location where B/O's on the (Q44)can use the rest rooms, etc.

And on topic, this upgrade is good news as 180th is an important transfer station. Not to mention the Bronx is far behind the rest of the city in being ADA accessible.

I think the reason the Q44 terminal is at Boston Rd instead of E 180th st station is to directly serve the Bx Zoo. The Zoo is probably the main purpose of running the Q44 to that area as opposed to providing a subway transfer. Ppl from Qns can get to the bx and zoo specifically without going through Manhattan. For those who need the subway transfer, the Q44 stops pretty close to west farms sq station anyway, & E 180th is a short walk as well.

The Bx is behind tho i agree..

Unfortunately that's true for almost everything.

The Q-44 ending as it does at West Farms Square is at the location of a bus depot, where the needs and comforts of bus operators can be dealt with. Just a note.

Mike

That's not where the Q44 starts and ends. There is a stop there, but it's not the first or last stop on the route. It starts and ends on East 180th Street on the south side of Bronx Park. That is, however, a short drive to the West Farms Depot.

The Q-44 ending as it does at West Farms Square is at the location of a bus depot, where the needs and comforts of bus operators can be dealt with. Just a note.

Mike

Mike the (Q44) no longer terminates at West Farms. Instead about 7-8 years back, the (MTA) changed the Bronx terminal on East 180th St. about 2 blocks from Boston Rd. Since it basically only a couple of blocks from East 180th (2)(5) station, that why i suggested it ended there. It could still Queens-bound serve Boston RD/East 180th (Bronx Zoo)and West Farms before travel via it's long time route via the Cross bronx service road to Queens.

funny thing i live rite next too 180th st and i also have a cousin working there, to what i heard they should be done by the end of march or so giving the weather like always that can push it back if its bad but march they said, but they did do alot of work there at the yard and north of the station all of that is done and ahead of time.
this is a video of the union port yard that is all done now it looks very good

Clip is by, yours truly :P!

Mike

the Q44 doesnt make its last stop at westfarms sq its on 180th st at the bronx zoo, the train station is only a few yards away from it

the Q44 doesnt make its last stop at westfarms sq its on 180th st at the bronx zoo, the train station is only a few yards away from it

Watch vandals destroy this about a month from now.
i dont think so its alot of new things that have been done but i dont see much in the way of vandals doing anything

Is this just redoing the signals or changing the track configuration so that the Dyre Avenue line connects directly to the express track as well?

The Dyre line can't connect directly to M track at the east. It must cross over to 3 track first, then bypass the Unionport Yard lead, then take the diverging at the next switch which is the only way to Dyre.

Also, there isn't a lot of people riding all the way to 180st just to get a (2)(5) transfer. It was meant to give Queens (as mentioned earlier) a one-seat ride to the zoo, and stops as close to the zoo as possible. Most people that actually need the station get off at Devoe & 180th and walk the 1 1/2 blocks to the station.

Next time I'm on that overpass I'll have to see what structure you were most likely on... I can't recall right now. ;)

ooo That can be figured out with a bit of mapping ;)! But just be careful at that area. Had to bring by scanner to keep it safe. Even tho the overpass i public, but abandoned. I know a few photographers whos been up there. If anything u can hmu on pm.

I used to work at the bronx zoo from april 2011 to sept 2011 during that time over half the guest ask me where is the q44 bus most of them come from brooklyn and queens that is why is good to have the Q44 nearby by the asia gate which is the E 180 gate. My former co workers live in kew garden's so their only trasportation is the Q44.

Archived