MTA destroys Upper East Side and pays little out in damages

Via Garibaldi 8

This is on top of an incident that will be reported on Fox 5 News this evening about the (MTA) drilling recklessly to the point that they drilled into an apartment, almost injuring a baby in the process. This is why some folks on the Upper East Side oppose any further construction in their neighborhood because the (MTA) is reckless and irresponsible. They are destroying the character of that neighborhood day in and day out and yet they sit here and defend their actions. Unbelievable. What do the folks who defend these reckless construction projects say??

I agree that it is a crazy situation, but one thing I must say is that inadequate funds could be an issue. Other transit systems are better funded, countries that have those systems levy higher taxes on the citizenry, fares are higher etc.

That's all I have to say, so if your interest has been piqued, discuss!

Disclaimer: I don't have a strong conviction about this one, so I'm very unsure as to what the right answer is when it comes to this stuff and a lot of things related to the budgetary issues of governments and government agencies.

This is on top of an incident that will be reported on Fox 5 News this evening about the (MTA) drilling recklessly to the point that they drilled into an apartment, almost injuring a baby in the process. This is why some folks on the Upper East Side oppose any further construction in their neighborhood because the (MTA) is reckless and irresponsible. They are destroying the character of that neighborhood day in and day out and yet they sit here and defend their actions. Unbelievable. What do the folks who defend these reckless construction projects say??

First of all, the construction projects aren't reckless themselves. Perhaps the way they're done isn't careful. Yes, I still defend construction projects, because I believe they're good for the local economy and they help millions of people reach their destination easily. I'm not saying that everything done is good and I understand that the residents will suffer, but this will all be forgotten, once this finishes. I'm saying that, because, I remember vividly the construction of the subway here, in Athens. A whole kiosk was sucked into the ground, while the tunnel bearing machine passed under it.

Frankly, it seems to me that you go out of your way to accuse anything that has to do with subway construction, or the subway in general. And, when you say that you're realistic, I disagree as you wouldn't suggest a fare hike if you were. Are you aware of the state of the economy?

Anyway, this is not about fare hikes. Yes, the MTA has to be careful and respect the local community when building a subway or an entrance, no matter if it's on the Upper East Side or anywhere else for that matter. But the subway needs to expand. The projects aren't reckless.

More of the media exaggerating and making something a lot worse than it really sounds

It's only exaggerating because you refuse to accept the truth. I doubt you would see it that way if they destroyed your apartment.

First of all, the construction projects aren't reckless themselves. Perhaps the way they're done isn't careful. Yes, I still defend construction projects, because I believe they're good for the local economy and they help millions of people reach their destination easily. I'm not saying that everything done is good and I understand that the residents will suffer, but this will all be forgotten, once this finishes. I'm saying that, because, I remember vividly the construction of the subway here, in Athens. A whole kiosk was sucked into the ground, while the tunnel bearing machine passed under it.

Frankly, it seems to me that you go out of your way to accuse anything that has to do with subway construction, or the subway in general. And, when you say that you're realistic, I disagree as you wouldn't suggest a fare hike if you were. Are you aware of the state of the economy?

Anyway, this is not about fare hikes. Yes, the MTA has to be careful and respect the local community when building a subway or an entrance, no matter if it's on the Upper East Side or anywhere else for that matter. But the subway needs to expand. The projects aren't reckless.

LOL... Ramming construction equipment into someone's apartment isn't reckless?? Who are you kidding? You people are in such denial that I have to laugh. The (MTA) is reckless and anytime anyone points out their behavior you find a way excuse it somehow. Just admit the truth for once. We all know construction projects must happen, but they can most certainly be more organized and that's the point that you refuse to admit. This is why folks are opposed to the (MTA) and their projects because they are reckless and then what's worse is, they don't even want to compensate folks when they destroy their apartments and personal property.

There was another story about how the (MTA) broke several windows along the Brighton Line in Brooklyn during construction there and they tried to skip out of that too and claim that it wasn't their fault when the subway line is right there near the backyard. :P

LOL refuse to believe the truth?! That's a friggin' NY Post article! LOL Who believes them?!?!

Even my TEACHERS would tell us to never use the Post for news articles when we had to write about something!

Even so, there have been numerous stations reporting on how the (MTA) has damaged property and people's houses or apartments on numerous in numerous communities throughout the city, so this isn't just some "conspiracy". There were reports on NY1 about damage to houses in Brooklyn as well. But surely everyone is out to get the (MTA)... :P

geez. can we drop the whole "The upper east side sucks because of the (T) constuction... we all know its worth it.

No, not until the (MTA) shows that they can do construction projects responsibly. This issue extends far beyond the Upper East Side. They've caused chaos in Brooklyn as well with their construction projects, shuttering businesses and racking up thousands in damages that they don't want to pay for.

Lets put it this way

Friday, National Grid was digging on my corner. they finished, and left the metal cover plate behind over the weekend. Everytime something big drove over it, it made a loud noise, beacue the road there is not even.

If I handled it your way, and the way the UES folks are handling things, I'd have called National Grid every walking moment till the took it away.

but I didn't do that, i did the realistic thing, and shoved some wood under it to try to make it shake less.

People need to be proactive, not reactive.

Well then I guess all of the neighborhoods that have been trashed by the (MTA) in Brooklyn as well are in the wrong then for demanding that they be awarded funding to cover their damages then...

If you got the money fix it yourself, that's how you show off your affluence

Very funny wise guy. Folks that are affluent are affluent because they don't waste money and they watch every dime like a hawk. I'll be damned if someone is going to overcharge me or if I'm going to pay for someone else's damages.

I don't think it matters. If it was contractors, the (MTA) hired them and the only thing it shows is the (MTA)'s lack of management and accountability. Either way, they don't want to take responsibility for the problem.

You may not think it matters, but in court it does and that's what matters.

Archived