Subway - What If?

VWM

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NEXT

Due to a power outage on 4 Av (D)(N)(R) between Pacific and 36 St, and on Brighton (B)(Q) between Prospect Park and Brighton Beach. Trains may terminate at Prospect Park (B)(Q), Brighton Beach (B)(Q), and 36 St (D)(N)(R). Trains may not terminate at Pacific St (D)(N)(R).

What happens because of this power outage?

(B) Trains run via the (F) between W 4 St and Church Av.

(D) Trains run via the (F) between W 4 St and Coney Island, then via the (D) to 36 St.

(F) Extended, from Coney Island, via the (N) to 59 St.

(G) No trains south of Hoyt St.

(M) No service between Broad St (J) and 71 Av.

(N) No trains between 34 St-Herald Sq and Coney Island.

(Q) No trains between Prospect Park and Brighton Beach. Trains run via the tunnel.

(R) No trains between Whitehall St and 59 St, Brooklyn.

Alternatives:

WEST END - take the (D), running on the (F) line via Coney Island.

SEA BEACH- take the (F), via Coney Island. Transfer at 34 St-Herald Sq or Jay St (from the Q).

BRIGHTON - take the (B)(D)(F) making nearby stops on Culver or transfer at Coney Island for the shuttle to Brighton Beach.

BAY RIDGE - take the (F) via Coney Island and transfer to the (R) shuttle. Transfer to the (F) at 34 St or Jay St (from the Q).

NEXT

Because of a washout at 23 St & Lex, the (4)(5)(6) cannot pass 23 St. As this is a long-term change, provide extra alternate service where possible.

(4) runs in 2 Sections; Utica Av - Wall St, Woodlawn - Grand Central-42 St

(5) runs via (2) between 149 St/Grand Concourse and Nevins St

(6) Pelham Bay Park - Grand Central-42 St

(N) runs via Tunnel

Some people will probably tell me that I should have extended the (J) to Brooklyn, but I think that Brooklyn riders would rather have the (N) in the tunnel than the (J), which only gets them to Lower Manhattan. The (N) can be made to serve Lower Manhattan and Midtown, and I don't think the tunnel can handle both the (N) and the (J)

NEXT

Because of a washout at 23 St & Lex, the (4)(5)(6) cannot pass 23 St. As this is a long-term change, provide extra alternate service where possible.

(4) runs in two sections: The Bronx to Grand Central - Brooklyn Bridge to Brooklyn

(5) runs via the (2) between the Bronx and Brooklyn

(6) runs between the Bronx and Grand Central

NEXT

(4) runs between Woodlawn and Grand Central via lex exp lates nights local.

(5) runs betwween dyre av and East 180 st

(6) local runs berween Grand Central and Parchester weekdays during the day and Pehalm Bay Park other times. <6> runs between Pehalm Bay park and 3th av weekdays during the day.

(B) suspended in order to put more trains on the (N)(Q) for extra service.

(3) runs to New Lots av at all times with extra trains.

(2) increased service.

(D) rush hour peak direction in the bronx is suspended.

(Q) some trains run express on the brightion.

(S) runs all night on 42st.

Once again, I think you're overcomplicating things. Even if this is a long-term service change, (Q) train riders will go crazy when they find their train suddenly at Essex St, then on 6 Av, and then on CPW. Besides, wouldn't the (J)(Z)(M) be held up while the (Q) turns around? I think it just makes more sense to have people get on a regular 6th Av train for 6th Av service. E.g., (F) at Jay St, (B) on the Brighton Line, (D) at many locations.

The (Q) trains that would do that would be "Orange (Q)" trains and would appear as such if possible. It would be a limited number that would be done that way due to the fact not all (Q) trains would be able to go to 14th Street-Union Square due to turnaround constraints, so selected (Q) trains that would be orange would go up 6th Avenue and CPW since there is no really good place to turn other than 145 or 168 otherwise.

Yes, it would be confusing, and yes, it would back up the (J) and (M) some, but it also again goes back to what should be Rule #1 of riding the subway: Pay Attention!!

Edited by Wallyhorse

NEXT

Because of a police investigation, the uptown platform at 47-50 Sts is closed and impassable.

(B) suspended

(D) runs via 8th avenue local from W4-59 Sts.

(A) normal

(C) Express Canal to 59 Street

(E) normal

(F) via (E) line W4 to Roosevelt Avenue.

(M) some trains terminate at Essex or Chambers Streets. Transfer to the uptown (F) at Essex for uptown Manhattan service and transfer to the (R) at Queens Plaza for Queens Blvd local.

That's how I would do it..yet I don't know why you guys don't suspend the (B) Hehe

Edited by alejr88

He didn't say that! I need all the information! ;)

The riddle speaks for its self. You know there is a power outage, get at it. I gave you the stations that could work, and the ones that wouldn't.

NEXT

(4) 42 St to Woodlawn (Lexington Av/Jerome Av Local)

(4) Brooklyn Bridge to New Lots Av (Eastern Parkway Express)

(5) Dyre Av Shuttle

(6) 42 St to Pelham Bay Parkway (Pelham Local)

<6> 3 Av to Pelham Bay Parkway (Pelham Express)

(S) Brooklyn Bridge to 14 St (via Loop/Lexington Av Local)

NOTE

(B) Service is decreased in Brooklyn for the (J)

(J) Extended to Brighton Beach (Nassau/Brighton Express)

(2) Some trans may run 7 Av Local for the (3)

(3) Some trains turn at 14 St for the (5)

(5) May go to Flatbush Av (7 Av/Eastern Parkway Local)

Edited by trainguy97

Because of a police investigation, the uptown platform at 47-50 Sts is closed and impassable.

As I would do it:

(B) and (D) run via the (C) West 4th-59th Street uptown (normal service downtown).

Uptown (M) runs via the (E) West 4th-5th Avenue/53rd Street (normal service downtown).

(C) runs in Brooklyn only Hoyt-Schermerhorn to Euclid Avenue. Northbound trains terminate at Hoyt-Schermerhorn, are dispersed and then go to the Transit Museum tracks to turn (one TM train is temporarily moved out of the station) to accommodate this) and then return on the outer southbound track to begin service back to Euclid.

Uptown (E) runs express between 50th Street-8th Avenue and Canal Street

Uptown Spring Street ©/(E) station is closed. Take downtown (E) to Canal Street to transfer to the uptown (E)

(F) service is split in the following manner:

Half of the trains run 179th Street, Queens-57th Street, Manhattan via regular route

Half of the trains run via the (G) between Queens Plaza and Bergen Street to Coney Island. Transfer to the (R) at 9th Street-4th Avenue or the (A) at Hoyt-Schermerhorn for Manhattan.

ALL (G) trains are extended to Coney Island. Transfer to the (R) at 9th Street-4th Avenue or the (A) at Hoyt-Schermerhorn for Manhattan.

(R) runs via the (F) between 36th Street, Queens and 57th Street-7th Avenue, Manhattan.

I do these trying to run the trains as best possible with the least amount of disruption without foaming.

Edited by Wallyhorse

Next: A 9-1-1 call came from the 59 street station, reroute all trains. No trains can pass on the Southbound Side. Make all trains to operate on the express northbound track downtown and on the northbound track all northbound.

Which 59th Street Station?

(C) runs in Brooklyn only Hoyt-Schermerhorn to Euclid Avenue. Northbound trains terminate at Hoyt-Schermerhorn, are dispersed and then go to the Transit Museum tracks to turn (one TM train is temporarily moved out of the station) to accommodate this) and then return on the outer southbound track to begin service back to Euclid.

I do these trying to run the trains as best possible with the least amount of disruption without foaming.

facepalm.jpg

We are also trying to keep your foaming from single-handedly imploding and destroying the internet as we know it.

(B) and (D) run via the (C) West 4th-59th Street uptown (normal service downtown).

I would get rid of the (B) if possible, but if not possible, then I can't argue with you here.

Uptown (M) runs via the (E) West 4th-5th Avenue/53rd Street (normal service downtown).

How about just cutting the (M) back to Essex, making room on 8 Av for other services?

Oh my god...JUST RUN THE (A) LOCAL AND SUSPEND THE (C), FOR GOD'S SAKE. There's no need to overcomplicate things for the sake of complicating things. Why in the world would anybody want to take the (C) to the ABANDONED PLATFORM at Hoyt-Schermerhorn only so they can transfer to the (A)?

(F) service is split in the following manner:

Half of the trains run 179th Street, Queens-57th Street, Manhattan via regular route

Half of the trains run via the (G) between Queens Plaza and Bergen Street to Coney Island. Transfer to the (R) at 9th Street-4th Avenue or the (A) at Hoyt-Schermerhorn for Manhattan.

Now, every single (F) rider in Brooklyn is screwed. It's not just about sending trains to every station; it's also about having trains that get people where they want to go. The (G) is hardly better than no train at all, for those going to Manhattan. How about just running the (F) via 8 Av/53 St, which there is now capacity for (by getting rid of the (B) and (M) on 8 Av)?

You're right; this wasn't one of those "foamerish" posts. It was just plain impractical, IMO. There's nothing "foamerish" about using the transit museum tracks; it just makes no sense and overcomplicates things for no reason. If people are calling you a foamer, they're misusing the term.

For your scenario, the (A) runs Local I assume?

Actually, no. I said the uptown Spring Street platform was closed due to the fact I have the (B), (D) and (M) all operating on the uptown 8th Avenue local track West 4th-50th, with the (E) shifted to the express track at Canal and the (A) running normal. That's also why I have the (C) operating in Brooklyn only.

You're right; this wasn't one of those "foamerish" posts. It was just plain impractical, IMO. There's nothing "foamerish" about using the transit museum tracks; it just makes no sense and overcomplicates things for no reason. If people are calling you a foamer, they're misusing the term.

Modifying what I wrote earlier:

(A) is local 145th-168th Street.

(B) and (D) operate normal downtown and to Brooklyn. Uptown, those lines run via the (C) West 4th-Columbus Circle

(C) operates in Brooklyn only Hoyt-Schermerhorn to Euclid Avenue. Northbound trains terminate at Hoyt-Schermerhorn, are dispersed and then go to the Transit Museum tracks to turn (one TM train is temporarily moved out of the station) to accommodate this) and then return on the outer southbound track to begin service back to Euclid.

Uptown (E) operates express Canal Street-50th Street in Manhattan (downtown operates normally).

The uptown platform at Spring Street is closed. For uptown service from Spring Street, take downtown train to Canal and cross over, for uptown service to Spring, take uptown train to West 4th and cross over.

For 23rd Street-8th Avenue going uptown, take A/E to 14th Street and change to a 6th Avenue line train that is making that stop.

(F) operates in two sections:

179th Street, Queens-57th Street, Manhattan

West 4th Street, Manhattan-Coney Island, Brooklyn

For midtown Manhattan from Queens Boulevard, transfer to the E/M at Roosevelt Boulevard OR (R) at 21st-Queensbridge, Roosevelt Island or 63rd-Lexington, Manhattan.

(M) operates via the (E) West 4th-5th Avenue, Manhattan.

(R) operates via 63rd Street during this with special OOS MetroCard transfers (not affecting regular transfers) between the 4/5/6/N/Q at Lexington Avenue-60th Street and the (6) at 68th Street

For the (F) line from the upper east side, take the 6 to Bleecker/Broadway-Lafayette and change to the F there (special OOS transfer if the new uptown transfer is not open).

As for using the TM tracks on the C from Hoyt-Schermehorn, that is specifically to keep the A express in Brooklyn because otherwise, politicians, especially those on the Lefferts line might very well get upset even if the A went local because of an emergency. If they are aware of the TM tracks, they probably would insist on those being used to keep the C running in Brooklyn if necessary in order for the A to stay express no matter what (outside of overnights).

People who normally take the (F) on QB looking for midtown would have to make a transfer they normally would not to the E/M/R, but as long as that part of the (F) reaches Manhattan with transfers available for midtown and the other half of the (F) at West 4th (using the uptown express track to terminate and fumigate on and then crossing over from there to the downtown local track when clear while attempting to minimize delays on the other lines) keeps that going as best possible.

As for keeping the (M), those riders got screwed for WAY too long and the M is a popular line from Broadway-Brooklyn, plus, it does help cut down the crowds to Lexington-53rd. That's why I do it that way I do.

Just shows how important the 6th Avenue tracks really are.

As for using the TM tracks on the C from Hoyt-Schermehorn, that is specifically to keep the A express in Brooklyn because otherwise, politicians, especially those on the Lefferts line might very well get upset even if the A went local because of an emergency. If they are aware of the TM tracks, they probably would insist on those being used to keep the C running in Brooklyn if necessary in order for the A to stay express no matter what (outside of overnights).

You are aware that those trains located in the Transit Museum tracks are PART OF A MUSEUM THAT PEOPLE PAY MONEY TO ENTER, right? So you're basically saying that either you want to close the museum down for the duration of this scenario, which would lose a lot of money, or you just want to screw over thousands of tourists and New Yorkers alike just so you can save some people 5 minutes. Now I only say that this is foamerish because you do this on practically every scenario, even when there's a perfectly good way to keep all trains running smoothly.

Politicians? If there actually are any politicians that live along that line then I'm almost 100% sure that they hold close to no power. And even if they did, they would prefer to run a train local than to screw up an entire museum operation.

Edited by Gorgor

The 59 street Columbus Circle Station is closed on the southbound side, and no trains can pass through. Only the 2 current northbound tracks can be used, but all trains have to go through in both directions

I'm assuming you don't mean the (1) station, but only the IND stop...

So:

(A) Trains run local in Manhattan, but downtown trains skip 50 St.

(B) No trains between 42 St - Bryant Park (downtown express track) and the Bronx.

(C) No trains north of Chambers St.

(D) Uptown trains run via the (C) from West 4 St to 145 St. Downtown trains run local on CPW.

Downtown service:

After 72 St, trains switch over to the uptown express track and stop at 59 St. Then:

(A) trains continue wrong-railing on the uptown express track to 34 St, after which they switch to the normal track and continue service.

(D) trains wrong-rail on the uptown (D) track (unused by uptown trains) to 42 St, and then switch to normal service toward Brooklyn.

I chose to have the (A)(D) go through and cut the (B)(C) instead of having each line run some ridiculous tph (as during wrong railing, a manual block system would probably be used).

NEXT

Because of a mechanical problem, 6 Av/53 St Junction is impassable.

Affected: (B)(D)(F)(M)(E)

Affected: (B)(D)(F)(M)(E)

(B) turns at W. Fourth Street

(D) two Sections: W.4 St - CI and Norwood - 34 St-Penn Station via (A)

(E) Turns at Lexington Avenue

(F) runs in two sections, 34 Street to CI and 57 Street (N)(Q)(R) to Jamaica

(M) turns at 42 Street

(Q) replaces (M) in Queens