Why do Raritan Line trains not go to penn?

VWM

why do :rvl: trains terminate @ Newark Penn but not NYPenn

I don't know.. It's kind of annoying that you have to switch from a :nec:

The :rvl: isn't electrified so it's unable to enter Penn

heh, It's kind of annoying taking the :nec:, period....

lol...

ugh tell me about it its a total ass of a train :nec: so many stops 800 buses don't even time properly with it sort of.

• 2 weeks later...

Part of the Aldene Plan was to have dual mode equipment take passengers from the former CNJ main into new york penn. Prior to this, you had to transfer between PRR and CNJ trains at Elizabeth, where the 2 main lines crossed. Or you could go on to jersey city via bayonne and take a ferry from there.

The "interim" was having CNJ/reading trains utilize newark penn as a transfer point for passengers going to and from new york penn. Believe it or not trains used to operate between philadelphia and jersey city, then newark penn, not using most of the NEC.

The dual modes are finally here, but operation into NYP will be limited if it happens at all due to capacity limitations of the north river tunnels.

Of any of the lines to benefit from dual mode service, i believe the RVL should be the first, followed by the coast line. That will likely happen in reverse though, as coast line trains all ready have slots in the schedule.

Sadly not all of the decisions and outcomes that would and should have worked have been what happened over the years. The transition to dual mode operations on currently diesel only lines will likely take years and lots of very scarce funds.

- (A)

Archived