Arrest over video of 'racist rant' on Croydon to Wimbledon tram

mass production

A woman has been arrested after an online video apparently showed a woman abusing ethnic minority passengers on a packed south London tram.

The clip, viewed more than two million times since being uploaded to YouTube on Sunday, shows a woman sitting with a child, shouting at fellow passengers.

British Transport Police said a woman, 34, had been arrested on suspicion of a racially-aggravated offence.

The incident happened on the Croydon to Wimbledon Tramlink route.

Police are yet to clarify exactly where or when the incident happened.

In the online clip, the woman confronts several passengers, saying: "You are not British". She then starts swearing.

When one passenger asks her to mind her language, saying "there are little kids on the tram", the woman points to the child on her lap and says "I've got a little kid here".

The woman then says: "Go back to where you come from".

'Not entirely clear'

In the video she then starts shouting at the woman who asked her not to swear, before another passenger intervenes, saying: "I am English, what have you got to say to me?"

A British Transport Police spokesman said: "The video posted on YouTube and Twitter has been brought to our attention and our officers have launched an investigation.

"At present it is not entirely clear which tram stops the offence took place between and when it occurred.

"As a result, we need anyone who witnessed this incident, or with any information that could assist our investigation - including the identity of the woman - to contact us.

"We will not tolerate racism in any form on the rail network and will do everything in our power to locate the person responsible."

BBC News - Arrest over video of 'racist rant' on Croydon to Wimbledon tram

The nanny state strikes again.

thats something I'd expect from the Path train gestapo

She got arrested for that??

Looks like some countries take racism seriously.
The incident didn't occur in the U.S. This happened in the United Kingdom, and their speech laws apply much more differently than here. In the U.K., language inciting racism in a way like what the woman did (and it's obvious that she was harassing the supposed "foreigner") in the video falls under the umbrella of "hate speech," which is 100% illegal.

The incident didn't occur in the U.S. This happened in the United Kingdom, and their speech laws apply much more differently than here. In the U.K., language inciting racism in a way like what the woman did (and it's obvious that she was harassing the supposed "foreigner") in the video falls under the umbrella of "hate speech," which is 100% illegal.

Thanks, I think we all know that Croydon isn't a misspelling of Canarsie.

Their laws concerning speech, personal freedoms and privacy all point towards the same thing: nanny state. Nanny state full of subjects, not citizens.

Yet few seem to recognize the larger implications of what's happening over there.

Guest lance25

Kid, how old are you again? If it's over, let's say ten, you should know that hate speech of any kind knows no bounds. Of course, calling someone "not British" shouldn't be grounds for arrest. It's not the same thing as what we'd consider hate speech on this side of the Atlantic.

I would not expect anything racist like this to come out of the UK. UK was the first nation that banned slavery and segregation in the 1840's. This was way before the US.

LOL.... I hate to break the news to you but the U.K. is extremely racist. Europe in general doesn't have much tolerance. I'm not at all surprised by this. That's not to say that all Europeans are racist because I have met plenty of cool ones during the time when I lived there, but Europe is not that used to having immigrants. If you look at immigration to Europe, it is still considered to be "new" and since it started happening in the 80's it is still indeed new for many countries. Look at most Western European countries in particular and you'll notice that many of the right wing political parties are gaining popularity. Some countries that are examples are The Netherlands, Denmark, England, France, Italy (Lega Nord - The Northern League) and Switzerland to name a few.

In the East, you have countries like Russia where several foreigners have been killed simply out of racism. The economy is not helping things either, as more immigrants flock mainly to Western Europe in hopes of better lives and with their being so few jobs and resources for the citizens of those countries, of course the immigrants are looked at as the problem. Many Western European countries either have or have moved to stricter immigration laws. Italy already started making waves when I was living there back in 2004 with the "Bossi-Fini laws". Spain introduced strict immigration laws a few years ago citing too much illegal immigration from Africa. Italy cited security concerns from parts of Eastern Europe and Africa. The reason so many immigrants are flocking to Western European countries is because they're know to be wealthy overall and provide very generous healthcare benefits. Countries like Switzerland, Luxembourg, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland have very high living standards and their citizens are well taken care of. Of course the taxes in these countries are also very high. That high standard of living can also be said about the U.K., Italy, Germany and France as well, with Germany, France, Italy & Spain being the big four economic powerhouses in the European Union. The U.K. is not part of the E.U. but is also extremely wealthy, hence why the pound is so strong against the dollar.

The Southern (Western) European countries (particularly wealthy Italy and Spain) have long been seen as weak countries by its Northern European counterparts and have been blamed for the immigration problem in Europe in general, so now many Southern (Western) European countries have taken measures into their own hands citing little to no help from the European Union and enacting emergency measures that they can use legally when they feel that their countries face security threats, as was the case in Italy. Citizens said that crime was on the rise because too many illegal immigrants were coming in from Romania and Africa and Italy rolled out those emergency laws and started sending illegals back to their countries by the thousands. The Spaniards cried a similar tune and Spain too enacted tough immigration laws.

With the economic downturn, countries like England are feeling the high unemployment and its citizens are lashing out against the immigrants who they feel are part of the problem. I would imagine that the gov't has also stepped up the immigration laws in the country, feeling the pressure from the citizens to do something.

Exactly. Different country, different laws. Mind your own business and move it along.

LOL.... I hate to break the news to you but the U.K. is extremely racist. Europe in general doesn't have much tolerance. I'm not at all surprised by this. That's not to say that all Europeans are racist because I have met plenty of cool ones during the time when I lived there, but Europe is not that used to having immigrants. If you look at immigration to Europe, it is still considered to be "new" and since it started happening in the 80's it is still indeed new for many countries. Look at most Western European countries in particular and you'll notice that many of the right wing political parties are gaining popularity. Some countries that are examples are The Netherlands, Denmark, England, France, Italy (Lega Nord - The Northern League) and Switzerland to name a few.

In the East, you have countries like Russia where several foreigners have been killed simply out of racism. The economy is not helping things either, as more immigrants flock mainly to Western Europe in hopes of better lives and with their being so few jobs and resources for the citizens of those countries, of course the immigrants are looked at as the problem. Many Western European countries either have or have moved to stricter immigration laws. Italy already started making waves when I was living there back in 2004 with the "Bossi-Fini laws". Spain introduced strict immigration laws a few years ago citing too much illegal immigration from Africa. Italy cited security concerns from parts of Eastern Europe and Africa. The reason so many immigrants are flocking to Western European countries is because they're know to be wealthy overall and provide very generous healthcare benefits. Countries like Switzerland, Luxembourg, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland have very high living standards and their citizens are well taken care of. Of course the taxes in these countries are also very high. That high standard of living can also be said about the U.K., Italy, Germany and France as well, with Germany, France, Italy & Spain being the big four economic powerhouses in the European Union. The U.K. is not part of the E.U. but is also extremely wealthy, hence why the pound is so strong against the dollar.

The Southern (Western) European countries (particularly wealthy Italy and Spain) have long been seen as weak countries by its Northern European counterparts and have been blamed for the immigration problem in Europe in general, so now many Southern (Western) European countries have taken measures into their own hands citing little to no help from the European Union and enacting emergency measures that they can use legally when they feel that their countries face security threats, as was the case in Italy. Citizens said that crime was on the rise because too many illegal immigrants were coming in from Romania and Africa and Italy rolled out those emergency laws and started sending illegals back to their countries by the thousands. The Spaniards cried a similar tune and Spain too enacted tough immigration laws.

With the economic downturn, countries like England are feeling the high unemployment and its citizens are lashing out against the immigrants who they feel are part of the problem. I would imagine that the gov't has also stepped up the immigration laws in the country, feeling the pressure from the citizens to do something.

you forgot to mention the huge amounts of antisemitism in many parts of europe, Places like Belgium have huge problems with that.

you forgot to mention the huge amounts of antisemitism in many parts of europe, Places like Belgium have huge problems with that.

lol... Didn't forget about it. Just figured I wouldn't mention it since we're talking about immigrants, but yeah that's also a big problem. It's becoming quite popular in Russia these days too. Anywho, speaking of Belgium, that country is a mess with it being split between the French speakers and the Flemish speakers. :eek::eek: Thank God we still have their beers though... Duvel, Piraat, Rochefort, Scaldis, Chimay, Gulden Draak, St. Bernardus & Hoegaarden to name a few... :cool: :drool: :tup:

lol... Didn't forget about it. Just figured I wouldn't mention it since we're talking about immigrants, but yeah that's also a big problem. It's becoming quite popular in Russia these days too. Anywho, speaking of Belgium, that country is a mess with it being split between the French speakers and the Flemish speakers. :eek::eek: Thank God we still have their beers though... Duvel, Piraat, Rochefort, Scaldis, Chimay, Gulden Draak, St. Bernardus & Hoegaarden to name a few... :cool: :drool: :tup:

In beglium its more like French, Dutch/Flemish, and Arabic, as their arab population is totally out of control EJP | News | Western Europe | Jewish teenagers in Belgium quit their schools because of anti-Semitism and incidents like these are common in Belgium.

In beglium its more like French, Dutch/Flemish, and Arabic, as their arab population is totally out of control EJP | News | Western Europe | Jewish teenagers in Belgium quit their schools because of anti-Semitism and incidents like these are common in Belgium.

Yeah well the Arabs can't all live in France so they're coming to Belgium. Aside from that the French have been cracking down on the illegal immigrants. In Italy we had the Moroccans and the Albanians to some extent, the Romanians and the "Roms" but they're sending them back too, so they have to go somewhere I guess.

Archived