Bus stops moving at Walt Whitman?

Marctalky1

Walt Whitman Mall (yes mall I won't call it shops) its seems to be having an extreme make over and when I was there today it looks the bus stops are going to be moving further south on the mall property AWAY from the entrance. I feel it makes us seem that us bus riders are trash to SIMON MALLS and give no business to the mall. May I also add that they forced out both McDonalds and Sabbaros from the mall, mall employees tell me. This needs to be taken into action. Now you might have to wait out in the cold or when is rain or snows for the busses. We need to take action to stop this from happening! We can't win unless you speak your voice.

that bus stop was in the middle of where people were getting in and out and crossing the street to get inside, they probably moved it for safety reasons. I cant believe tho they removed both food places from the mall, that only leaves the overpriced California Pizza Kitchen there.

that bus stop was in the middle of where people were getting in and out and crossing the street to get inside, they probably moved it for safety reasons. I cant believe tho they removed both food places from the mall, that only leaves the overpriced California Pizza Kitchen there.

I think its to separate the rich from what they think is the poor. WWM has really changed from since when I was younger. If you don't have at least 200 dollars to spend minimum, then don't even think about walking in there.

I think its to separate the rich from what they think is the poor. WWM has really changed from since when I was younger. If you don't have at least 200 dollars to spend minimum, then don't even think about walking in there.

that mall has been going downhill for a while in my opinion, for years all thru high school I would hang out there with my friends on a somewhat weekly basis, rotating around with the various other malls in the area. Years ago, that area used to have a small bookstore in the mall, i think it was Waldenbooks or B Dalton. There was a Tower Records and a Barnes and Noble in the shopping center on the other end. The Tower Records closed down around 2006, and now I hear the Barnes and Noble is gone too.

I have found Roosevelt Field to be not what it used to be either, half of that mall is these identical boutique style clothing stores selling the same overpriced stuff, they put these obnoxious TV screens everywhere, especially in the food court and they blast these horrible music videos.

Much as I hate to say/admit it, Upscale malls are the "in" thing right now... Prepare to see more transformations of malls in the near future....

Separating the rich from (what they deem) the poor, nah... I think it's more an attempt to drive the poor completely out/away from the malls (not sure if that's what you meant).... Similar thing is going down here in downtown brooklyn (fulton mall strip)... give it 5-10 yrs, and fulton mall is gonna resemble a pseudo lexington av; tearing down albee sq. mall for a freakin nordstrom's...

More to the point, moving bus stops further away from a mall's entrance sends a very clear entrance - We don't want you here.

Thing with Walt Whitman though is, it's also an xfer point for the riders (not as much as smith haven is, but still)....

Much as I hate to say/admit it, Upscale malls are the "in" thing right now... Prepare to see more transformations of malls in the near future....

Separating the rich from (what they deem) the poor, nah... I think it's more an attempt to drive the poor completely out/away from the malls (not sure if that's what you meant).... Similar thing is going down here in downtown brooklyn (fulton mall strip)... give it 5-10 yrs, and fulton mall is gonna resemble a pseudo lexington av; tearing down albee sq. mall for a freakin nordstrom's...

More to the point, moving bus stops further away from a mall's entrance sends a very clear entrance - We don't want you here.

Thing with Walt Whitman though is, it's also an xfer point for the riders (not as much as smith haven is, but still)....

in LI yes but in other rich counties like montgomery county MD that is actually NOT the case go there and you will know ppl there are way more receptive to transit than other wealthy counties.

in LI yes but in other rich counties like montgomery county MD that is actually NOT the case go there and you will know ppl there are way more receptive to transit than other wealthy counties.

...and there are 24 hours in a day.

Seriously, what the f*** is your point ?

Walt Whitman Mall (yes mall I won't call it shops) its seems to be having an extreme make over and when I was there today it looks the bus stops are going to be moving further south on the mall property AWAY from the entrance. I feel it makes us seem that us bus riders are trash to SIMON MALLS and give no business to the mall. May I also add that they forced out both McDonalds and Sabbaros from the mall, mall employees tell me. This needs to be taken into action. Now you might have to wait out in the cold or when is rain or snows for the busses. We need to take action to stop this from happening! We can't win unless you speak your voice.

Sabbaro's was having money trouble early last year, they declared filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, and I believed tossed around the idea of closing some places. Maybe they closed the WWM store at the same time they supposedly kicked out McDonalds so everyone believes they did the same to Sabbaros as they did from McDonalds. I mean Sabbaro's is headquratered just south of WWM in Melville and I can't see Simons kicking out a local company.

Simon Malls treats Smith Haven Mall riders fine, maybe they are trying to make the bus stops at WWM like they currently are for Smith Haven Mall. I would think such a move would also help drivers from EBT who just took over ICMC's contracts for Suffolk County so drivers that may pick one of those routes don't have to learn a whole new Pick up drop off system.

Also maybe the current stop at WWM can't hanfdle alot of 40ft buses at one time, EBT has been assigning so 40ft buses to the S54, those plus those assigned to the S1 as well at the 40ft buses at NICE need alot of room that maybe the current stop can't handle. Or maybe they are planing on making renovations that require the stops to be moved.

So far there is no word from SCT that the stops are going to be moved, and they would defaniatly notify riders if and when that will happen as they notified Smith Haven Mall bus riders when the stops were moved there when Simon construted the Life Center and when the stops returned to the presnet location.

Also the destanation signs on the SCT buses say Walt Whitman Mall and if if you google Walt Whitman Mall you get hits so I see no reason why you couldn't call it Walt Whitman Mall. As far as I know it only whent by shops when it was first bulid because it was an out door mall, but when they made it into an indoor mall they dropped it. I could be wrong, and if I am someone please correct me.

Sabbaro's was having money trouble early last year, they declared filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, and I believed tossed around the idea of closing some places. Maybe they closed the WWM store at the same time they supposedly kicked out McDonalds so everyone believes they did the same to Sabbaros as they did from McDonalds. I mean Sabbaro's is headquratered just south of WWM in Melville and I can't see Simons kicking out a local company.

Simon Malls treats Smith Haven Mall riders fine, maybe they are trying to make the bus stops at WWM like they currently are for Smith Haven Mall. I would think such a move would also help drivers from EBT who just took over ICMC's contracts for Suffolk County so drivers that may pick one of those routes don't have to learn a whole new Pick up drop off system.

Also maybe the current stop at WWM can't hanfdle alot of 40ft buses at one time, EBT has been assigning so 40ft buses to the S54, those plus those assigned to the S1 as well at the 40ft buses at NICE need alot of room that maybe the current stop can't handle. Or maybe they are planing on making renovations that require the stops to be moved.

So far there is no word from SCT that the stops are going to be moved, and they would defaniatly notify riders if and when that will happen as they notified Smith Haven Mall bus riders when the stops were moved there when Simon construted the Life Center and when the stops returned to the presnet location.

Also the destanation signs on the SCT buses say Walt Whitman Mall and if if you google Walt Whitman Mall you get hits so I see no reason why you couldn't call it Walt Whitman Mall. As far as I know it only whent by shops when it was first bulid because it was an out door mall, but when they made it into an indoor mall they dropped it. I could be wrong, and if I am someone please correct me.

You have a lot of wrong information here if you go to their website it says Walt Whitman Shops, also Mcdonalds actually called me to tell me they got kicked out after I complained to mcdonalds and asked why they closed. Have you even been to that mall lately? This mall is close to where I live (n79 goes here and to my personal stop) and go often.

Most mall owners are hostile to public transportation on the grounds that people who ride buses can't afford to make big purchases. Of course, that explicitly assumes away all employees.

Not all malls are like that many in northern VA and philly area are very transit friendly. Based on trips made you probably been there.

Archived