CBTC and timers

CHItransitFan88

The (L) moves pretty damn fast now with CBTC mostly implemented... Remember it's all computers running the trains, there's just someone behind the controls just in case.

it does a good job of moving fast, but every train is still overly packed with everyone forcing there way on and off the trains. Hopefully with a an extra trainset this spring, that should ease the congestion

Does CBTC have any affect on timers? and also what is the L like interms of timers?

No. Timers are something that would slow trains down. It has no affect on the trains otherwise. The (L) is pretty frequent as I have rode it during the summer of last year, but it does need more trains to handle the huge crowds. I often suggest they find some way to improve the amount of people like skip stop, or express tracks underneath the Canarsie Line, but I don't see that happening at least not for a long time.

timers on the (L) what timers? They go through those curves in Willamsburg like it isn't even there

No. Timers are something that would slow trains down. It has no affect on the trains otherwise. The (L) is pretty frequent as I have rode it during the summer of last year, but it does need more trains to handle the huge crowds. I often suggest they find some way to improve the amount of people like skip stop, or express tracks underneath the Canarsie Line, but I don't see that happening at least not for a long time.

more like never

timers on the (L) what timers? They go through those curves in Willamsburg like it isn't even there

Thats the best thing. I remember riding the (L) train daily to and from school, and the train will be crawling between grand and granham due to that curve. Now, there is not that much slow down between those stations

For instance, CBTC takes away timers in the river tube since it knows where the next train is so its basically WRAP now.

Couldn't they just use a similar system of knowing where the trains are to allow the timers to NOT make the T/O slow down trains for no reason?

If you mean elsewhere in the system, no. System too archaic. Also they feel a computer operates more efficiently than a human, so all the "avoid human error" timers are out of the equation, along with the "safety" timers. The most prime example of "avoid human error" timers are those along the (A)(C) lines in Brooklyn (most of them).

If you mean elsewhere in the system, no. System too archaic. Also they feel a computer operates more efficiently than a human, so all the "avoid human error" timers are out of the equation, along with the "safety" timers. The most prime example of "avoid human error" timers are those along the (A)(C) lines in Brooklyn (most of them).

Being that computers are programmed by people, there can still be "human error". Do trains with CBTC have sensors in front to prevent 12-9's (if say there wasn't a T/O in the cab)?

With CBTC allowing trains to be closer together, on the (L), has anyone seen two trains on the same track in the same station simultaneously? Like while one train is exiting, another train is entering?

Being that computers are programmed by people, there can still be "human error". Do trains with CBTC have sensors in front to prevent 12-9's (if say there wasn't a T/O in the cab)?

With CBTC allowing trains to be closer together, on the (L), has anyone seen two trains on the same track in the same station simultaneously? Like while one train is exiting, another train is entering?

That has happened. A (L) had barely exited Lorimer Street when another came. I was really suprized.

Being programs that have a million times more time to scrutinize, human errors are a lot less likely. These programs are approved once, and they can operate again and again predictably. Operating a train in real time doesn't afford the conductor months to make a decision on how a train should run; he's got to make split-second decisions.

But in a technical sense, human errors are still possible—just much less likely.

Archived