LIRR extension ticket.

boye

I have a ticket from penn station to woodside but I would want to use that ticket and travel upto murray hill on the port washington line.

So can I extend the ticket on the train itself without any penalty?

also, which car/cars does the conductor travel in?

• 1 month later...

I have a ticket from penn station to woodside but I would want to use that ticket and travel upto murray hill on the port washington line.

So can I extend the ticket on the train itself without any penalty?

also, which car/cars does the conductor travel in?

You will pay the one way price for Murray Hill-Woodside, without any penalty. However, the combined cost of the ticket is going to be more than just buying the one way Penn-Murray Hill (especially if its a weekend).

Unless you're not going to use the Penn-Woodside ticket before it expires...

• 2 months later...

They will charge you a step up fee, you pay in cash, they click out that big receipt thing and then give it to you and then you are all set.

I know for 10 trip tickets the step up charge for using an off peak 10 trip during peak time is $5.

One of the railroads charge the full price of the ticket from the station on the ticket to final station (I think LIRR)

and I think Metro North charges the difference of fares.

The full price is charged when stepping up monthlies or weeklies.

The difference is charged when stepping up ten trip/one way/round trip.

Odd, for the short time that I was buying a monthly ticket between zone 3 and 4, I was charged the difference in fares when I was going to/from zone 1.

Monthlies do not get "stepped up" they get ride extentions as monthlies (and weeklies) are valid on any train, any time between the designated fare zones. A step up is the additional collection to go from off peak to peak. A ride extention is when you have a ticket from zone 2 to zone 3 and you want to go to zone 1, you get charged zone 2 to zone 1.

Example: I have a monthly commutation from Fordham to White Plains. Today I want to go from White Plains to GCT. During off peak hours this would be the the price of an off peak ticket. If you paid for the ride extention on the train it's rounded up to the next whole dollar. In this circumstance it would be $5.75 station fare or $6.00 if purchased on board the train.

If (for the sake of argument) I had on off peak ticket from GCT to Forham ($5.75) and I wanted to ride during peak hours then the step up is charged which is the difference of the two fares ($2.00) as the peak fare is $7.50 but the step up is rounded to the next whole dollar amount. If you had a 10 trip off peak then the step up is $4.00 to take into account of the discount of the 10 trip.

LIRR used the same type of system. Just the zones are different.

on a semi related note, i have a monthly from sayville to amityville, will i be able to use it to go from sayville to mastic shirley since its the same price? or is ther no way theyre gonna allow it?

Buy a one way at the station. On the train you'll have to pay the station fare rounded to the nearest dollar. Monthlies are only valid for between the zones indicated. Unlike some other cities, monthlies are NOT necessarily valid for any trip whose one way fare is <= the one way of the listed pair.

Example: I have a Mineola-NYP monthly.

-I can go from Mineola to NYP.

-I can go from Hempstead to Jamaica.

-I can go from Far Rockaway to NYP.

-I can go from Far Rockaway to Valley Stream.

-If I want to go from Mineola to Hicksville, the conductor will sell me a Mineola-Hicksville ticket. The conductor thinks I'm going from Hicksville to NYP.

-If I want to go from Hicksville to Ronkonkoma, the conductor will sell me a Mineola-Ronkonkoma ticket. The conductor thinks I'm going from Ronkonkoma to NYP.

-If I want to go from Hicksville to Ronkonkoma, the conductor will sell me a Mineola-Ronkonkoma ticket. The conductor thinks I'm going from Ronkonkoma to NYP.

Hold on. Why would the conductor think you're going from Ronkonkoma-NYP? :wacko: If the conductor didn't see you before the train pulled into Hicksville, and you were onboard afterward, then obviously you got on at Hicksville.

Going westbound, if you bought a Ronkonkoma-Hicksville ticket and then after Hicksville you were still on the train, then they would charge you for Hicksville-Mineola, wouldn't they? So why would they charge you for the trip to Mineola if you say you want to get off at Hicksville?

The example might not have been the best one.

Basically the point I wanted to make is that the monthly has absolutely zero value outside of its valid zones, its presentation only waives the onboard surcharge for the trip you plan to take.

Buy a one way at the station. On the train you'll have to pay the station fare rounded to the nearest dollar. Monthlies are only valid for between the zones indicated. Unlike some other cities, monthlies are NOT necessarily valid for any trip whose one way fare is <= the one way of the listed pair.

Example: I have a Mineola-NYP monthly.

-I can go from Mineola to NYP.

-I can go from Hempstead to Jamaica.

-I can go from Far Rockaway to NYP.

-I can go from Far Rockaway to Valley Stream.

-If I want to go from Mineola to Hicksville, the conductor will sell me a Mineola-Hicksville ticket. The conductor thinks I'm going from Hicksville to NYP.

The example might not have been the best one.

Basically the point I wanted to make is that the monthly has absolutely zero value outside of its valid zones, its presentation only waives the onboard surcharge for the trip you plan to take.

ok thanks guys im glad i found out now instead of on the train lol

• 1 month later...

Archived