Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

I love internet tough guys, you paint the picture of Joel Upfront being one of these people but ultimately, that is what you are. "I'd love it if it you said that to my face." The reality is you have said a lot of jacked up things to members on this forum including myself in response to there opinions, but yet you change yours regularly (MTA VEOLIA). I also heard you saying messed up, annoying, and untrue things about Veolia in your videos. I have always wished I've caught you on a bus while making one of these these videos so I could call you on the crap you are saying. I also don't know why no one has told you to stfu while riding a bus because you are tickled pink because you are riding an old Orion.

I guarantee if we I caught you on a bus spewing at the mouth like you do you would not be mr. tough guy like you are here.

You are the epitome of why drivers hate foamers or any type of bus lover, we ask a question and the first thing that comes to mind is we are someone like you!

Don't be mad because someone thought you were mentally challenged, I also assumed you were mentally challenged and if you have noticed that is why I have stopped ignoring your posts, proving you wrong, and making fun of you. I felt badly because I thought I was picking on someone mentally challenged who loved buses (my mother didn't raise me like that!).

I thought you were mentally challenged because I asked you numerous times what you do for a living, you continually ignore the question and not answer. And then I put it together. You flip flop answers, don't make any sense, love buses so much, post videos of buses and elevators, get so excited that you have to make a video because you are riding an old Orion on the S1, then it hit me "OMG I'm making fun of a 'special' guy on the way to and from his day program."

I mean no offense to the mentally handicapped, this was actually what I thought, I'm not making fun of anyone. I'm also sorry to the staff of this forum, but it had to be said.

Nicely said. Not to be on anyone's side but seriously NICE can improve, but that doesn't mean to "rage" about everything. Break downs may happen every day, but not on your home line. Yes I have been on brake downs incidents and stuff, but I'm sure it wont hurt to wait for another bus (unless it's inclement weather or if the gaps in between buses are long).

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, I'll say something. This crap about PinePower has to stop. User bashing is not appreciated on this forum no matter who it is directed to. We understand that NICE is an imperfect system (Yes I know, that's an understatement), but do not take that and throw it at other people. Punishment should and will start getting handed out if this BS doesn't end.

Alright, I'll say something. This crap about PinePower has to stop. User bashing is not appreciated on this forum no matter who it is directed to. We understand that NICE is an imperfect system (Yes I know, that's an understatement), but do not take that and throw it at other people. Punishment should and will start getting handed out if this BS doesn't end.

I agree. Regardless of what you may personally think about any particular member, intentionally disrespecting them is not a productive use of the forum's resources. In fact, I believe that doing so actually provides ammunition for that person to continue flaming back and forth - if you want him to stop them simply don't respond directly to him - sooner or later he will lose steam.

I agree. Regardless of what you may personally think about any particular member, intentionally disrespecting them is not a productive use of the forum's resources. In fact, I believe that doing so actually provides ammunition for that person to continue flaming back and forth - if you want him to stop them simply don't respond directly to him - sooner or later he will lose steam.

Let's just drop this it hasn't been brought up in days, calmer heads have prevailed, let's just leave it that way... No need to bring it back up.

Is RVC open weekends under Veolia or is it still only M-F?

When was that? When did MF have enough buses to run all those routes on the weekends?

I can confirm that as I believe the low 1700s are at RVC and I frequently see them on the n35. Speaking of which, will the 3G order be split with RVC or not?

I believe a couple of the buses will go to RVC like every other order, but I'm unsure how many.

When was that? When did MF have enough buses to run all those routes on the weekends?

Up until the last day of LIB operating LIB RVC was a senior garage that only operated only Monday through Friday... Drivers only worked Monday through Friday, Saturday & Sunday were off (unless they signed up for overtime which was usually RR work) holidays were also off (unless the driver wanted to work for double time) I was wondering if Veolia also keeps RVC open Monday through Friday or if they have it open 7 days a week?

Up until the last day of LIB operating LIB RVC was a senior garage that only operated only Monday through Friday... Drivers only worked Monday through Friday, Saturday & Sunday were off (unless they signed up for overtime which was usually RR work) holidays were also off (unless the driver wanted to work for double time) I was wondering if Veolia also keeps RVC open Monday through Friday or if they have it open 7 days a week?

So on the weekends, all routes were filled by Mitchel Field?!

Service Alerts

Long Island may experience heavy rain and wind resulting in flooding and downed trees -- Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday due to Hurricane Sandy. Some routes may be affected.

Areas of concern include:

n20/21 in Manhasset, Roslyn Glen Cove

n27 in Sea Cliff and Roslyn Harbor Hill

n23 in Port Washington

We will monitor the situation closely and update this site as conditions progress. Please plan accordingly.

n51 -- EXPECT ROUTE DELAYS

Friday October 26th, 6:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m.

n51 buses will be detoured off Merrick Avenue in Merrick, due to street closures. Southbound buses will turn left off of Merrick Avenue on to the Sunrise Highway, traveling eastbound to Wynsum Avenue. They will then turn right onto Wynsum Avenue to Merrick Road. Buses will then turn right onto Merrick Road to Hewlett Avenue where they will end their route. There is no northbound detour for the n51.

Please allow additional travel time on this morning, to ensure you arrive at your destination on time.

n4 -- EXPECT ROUTE DELAYS

Saturday October 27th, 9:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m.

n4 buses will be detoured off of Merrick Road in Merrick, due to street closures. Eastbound buses will turn off of Merrick Road by turning left onto Oceanside Road. They will then turn right on the Sunrise Highway, and travel eastbound until Millburn Avenue. They will turn right onto Millburn Avenue and then make a left onto Merrick Road, resuming their regular route. Westbound buses will turn off of Merrick Road by turning right on to Millburn Avenue. They will then turn left on to the Sunrise Highway and travel westbound until Oceanside Road. They will turn left onto Oceanside Road and travel south until Merrick Road, resuming their regular route.

Please allow additional travel time on this morning, to ensure you arrive at your destination on time.

n27 -- EXPECT ROUTE DELAYS

Saturday October 27th, 1:00 p.m. until 3:30 p.m. and Sunday October 28th, 11:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m.

n27 buses will be detoured off of Bridge Street and Glen Street in Glen Cove due to a street fair on Saturday and a pet parade on Sunday. Northbound buses will turn left off of Glen Street on to Pulaski Street. They will then make a right on to Pratt Boulevard and drop off and pick up customers on the corner of Pratt Boulevard and Bridge Street. Southbound buses will depart from the corner of Pratt Boulevard and Bridge Street. They will then turn left on to Glen Cove Avenue and then a left to to Charles Street. Buses will then turn left on to Continental Plaza and make a right onto Pratt Boulevard. They will then turn left onto Pulaski Street and turn right onto Glen Street and resume their regular route.

Edited by Brett

I'm really concerned about this, for Irene the MTA pretty much went off the grid I know subways trains were taken to storage facilities to protect against flooding.

I was out of the area the day of the storm and days leading up to it so I don't know if LIB was operating? Was LIB operating?

I'm afraid because they made such a big deal about Irene and turned out to be so minor compared to what the news was making it out to that people will not take this Hurricane seriously. Best case scenario (ok best case is it goes out to sea but the odds are against that) is major flooding all the way up to a hurricane with 70mph winds. Either we will get a direct hit and experience Hurricane force winds or it hit NJ the hardest and in that scenario the news says LI will get major flooding from the storm serge.

This looks to be a very dangerous storm and IMHO NICE should suspend operations on Tuesday for the brunt of storm. It will be nasty nobody should be out. Most places will be closed and that's if there is no state of emergency issued restricting travel, there's no reason for buses to be running endangering drivers and supervisors lives and encouraging people out who shouldn't be out.

Stock up on food and batteries!

***EDIT***

Why are they already planning on closing Merrick Rd and Merrick Ave?

Edited by Burrstone

n51 -- EXPECT ROUTE DELAYS

Friday October 26th, 6:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m.

n51 buses will be detoured off Merrick Avenue in Merrick, due to street closures. Southbound buses will turn left off of Merrick Avenue on to the Sunrise Highway, traveling eastbound to Wynsum Avenue. They will then turn right onto Wynsum Avenue to Merrick Road. Buses will then turn right onto Merrick Road to Hewlett Avenue where they will end their route. There is no northbound detour for the n51.

th n51 doesnt run till 10, but this will be interesting, i think ill get my camera out...

I don't have a clue, to be completely honest...

I'm really concerned about this, for Irene the MTA pretty much went off the grid I know subways trains were taken to storage facilities to protect against flooding.

I was out of the area the day of the storm and days leading up to it so I don't know if LIB was operating? Was LIB operating?

I'm afraid because they made such a big deal about Irene and turned out to be so minor compared to what the news was making it out to that people will not take this Hurricane seriously. Best case scenario (ok best case is it goes out to sea but the odds are against that) is major flooding all the way up to a hurricane with 70mph winds. Either we will get a direct hit and experience Hurricane force winds or it hit NJ the hardest and in that scenario the news says LI will get major flooding from the storm serge.

This looks to be a very dangerous storm and IMHO NICE should suspend operations on Tuesday for the brunt of storm. It will be nasty nobody should be out. Most places will be closed and that's if there is no state of emergency issued restricting travel, there's no reason for buses to be running endangering drivers and supervisors lives and encouraging people out who shouldn't be out.

Stock up on food and batteries!

***EDIT***

LIB was also shut down along with MTA Bus, Subway, NYCT and offer free service before shutdown, so everyone can be evacuated.

n4 -- EXPECT ROUTE DELAYS

Saturday October 27th, 9:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m.

n4 buses will be detoured off of Merrick Road in Merrick, due to street closures. Eastbound buses will turn off of Merrick Road by turning left onto Oceanside Road. They will then turn right on the Sunrise Highway, and travel eastbound until Millburn Avenue. They will turn right onto Millburn Avenue and then make a left onto Merrick Road, resuming their regular route. Westbound buses will turn off of Merrick Road by turning right on to Millburn Avenue. They will then turn left on to the Sunrise Highway and travel westbound until Oceanside Road. They will turn left onto Oceanside Road and travel south until Merrick Road, resuming their regular route.

I don't have a clue, to be completely honest...

I had a hunch but this closure is for the Funeral of a fallen Nassau County Police Officer.... If you're taking the n4 I'd heed nice's warning and expect delays on the n4. Traffic is going to be nasty in the area of the funeral, give yourself extra time.

He is blind and disabled riders of NICE Bus.

NICE BUS: NOT SO NICE TO DISABLED PERSONS

This opinion piece was submitted by a Bus Riders' Union member, David O'Donnell:

I am a disabled person that needs to utilize the NICE fixed-route bus and Able Ride system. Using public transportation should be accessible to all people.

Veolia promised to address and work on issues such as: inoperable wheel chair lifts, Brialle signage, audible and visual stop announcements that either don’t work or most times are simply turned off by the bus driver. The Braille signage at Hempstead Terminal is horrific. It is indiscriminately placed on different poles facing different ways, located at the wrong bus locations, and most of the Braille bumps are actually missing, making them impossible to read.

The fixed route bus drivers do not secure persons traveling in wheel chairs, and if you ask them to most times they will just tell you to "put your brakes on."

Able Ride drivers are concerned about their passengers’ safety and secure the wheel chair and the person with excellence. However, one can never tell whether you will be picked up on time or arrive at your location on time. Veolia is making disabled riders wait sometimes for hours!

There is so much more wrong with the NICE bus/Able Ride system but these things must be addressed now for the safety of all bus riders. I know of these things I speak of, as I am legally blind secondary to Multiple Sclerosis, and have a degenerative spinal condition. I only wish to be treated with some dignity by my public transportation system.

Submitted by David O’Donnell

David is a member of the Long Island Bus Riders’ Union.

I'm pretty sure NICE would suspend operations if sustained winds are over 40mph, since it's not safe to be operating buses in that kind of wind. No mention on Suffolk Transit's page on what they are doing, but I think we should all assume most service will be shut down everywhere after midnight Sun to at least Tuesday afternoon. It's important to keep the roads clear for emergency vehicles and power crews! ;)

I'm pretty sure NICE would suspend operations if sustained winds are over 40mph, since it's not safe to be operating buses in that kind of wind. No mention on Suffolk Transit's page on what they are doing, but I think we should all assume most service will be shut down everywhere after midnight Sun to at least Tuesday afternoon. It's important to keep the roads clear for emergency vehicles and power crews! ;)

Well now it says. ST is suspended until further notice.

Service Alerts

BUS Service Suspended (All Routes) Due to Hurricane Sandy Starting Today (Oct 28) at 9:00 P.M. until Monday Evening (Oct 29)

NOTICE: As per the County Executive' date=' NICE BUS will suspend operation of all service beginning at 9:00 PM (10/28) through all day and evening Monday.

NICE will make a determination on service for Tuesday sometime in the late afternoon tomorrow.

NICE has deployed several buses for evacuation purposes and will continue to assist the County and its citizens as needed through out the storm.