Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this bus still alive? If it is...does it still sound like this?

Hard to say really, because NICE is barely keeping some of the Vs alive. You may see 1699 in service, or you may not. However, in this video, 1699 didn't sound that good and that was 6 months ago.

Don't know exactly what different abnormal sounds on a bus mean about its health, but I'm pretty sure I've heard many louder and worse buses than the video.

For those who know bus mechanicals: what does it means if the engine speed jumps constantly whenever the bus is sitting with the brakes on? (in a stop, at a light)

I know NOTHING mechanical about anything (lol) but when I've heard what you've described I've always thought it was the B/O keeping his lightly on the accelerator to either to keep the bus from stalling out or build up air (or to keep air built up). I thought about the air because I remember older B/O's doing this and then one day I was on a bus with a newer B/O, She stopped to pick someone up and was chatting, where other bus drivers would rev the engine she did not and I heard a beeping alarm sound. She tried to go but the bus wouldn't go, she then had to rev the engine for about a half of minute, beeping stopped and she was able to go. Low air warning? That would explain the beeping and her being unable to go, and then rev'ing the engine to build up air... A lot of things on these buses run on air so I would assume that makes the chance greater of air leaking out somewhere through the system.

I've noticed a lot of drivers rev'ing the engine on the V's, I was wondering if it's habbit?

Hard to say really, because NICE is barely keeping some of the Vs alive. You may see 1699 in service, or you may not. However, in this video, 1699 didn't sound that good and that was 6 months ago.

I'm seeing the opposite - a lot of the Orion Vs had transmission/engine problems before NICE took over but now they keep the appearance up and address the tranny issues quick. There's nothing they can do about the power loss these Orion Vs have suffered especially since the RBO takeover a few years ago.

A few weeks ago on my way to my last final, I was on an NG and the entire time I saw the bus operator hitting the gas only to get no response (no RPM increase, no acceleration) and it rounded a turn. Near the next stop, I noticed it was slowing down. I thought someone was going to get on, but I heard the engine die and it coasted convieniently into the stop. The operator restarted the engine but it kept jerking as if the B/O was mashing the pedal on and off.

I'm not blaming NICE for not maintaining these things (and they do try, if I see a bus around with a problem, odds are the next time I see it it's fixed) but what was that?

Edited by Joel Up Front

Alright, so at the beginning of last year, NICE said all buses are expected to be in NICE livery by 18 months. So that is this June when it should all be done. EVERYONE HOLD NICE TO THAT. Throughtout 2012, we've seen service cuts and service changes throughout the year, but Nassau County must've saved some money at the people's expense. Cheap Mango.

Alright, so at the beginning of last year, NICE said all buses are expected to be in NICE livery by 18 months. So that is this June when it should all be done. EVERYONE HOLD NICE TO THAT. Throughtout 2012, we've seen service cuts and service changes throughout the year, but Nassau County must've saved some money at the people's expense. Cheap Mango.

All nice buses? If they don't? How exactly would "everyone" hold nice to that? I think there are far more pressing issues that riders and taxpayers should hold nice if thedecided to hold nice to if they decided too hold nice to something. Also it's a wrap or paint, it's not a main concern for nice to worry about, The wrap/paint is not what gets people to work and school.

All nice buses? If they don't? How exactly would "everyone" hold nice to that? I think there are far more pressing issues that riders and taxpayers should hold nice if thedecided to hold nice to if they decided too hold nice to something. Also it's a wrap or paint, it's not a main concern for nice to worry about, The wrap/paint is not what gets people to work and school.

Well, I meant the NGs, and just to be in NICE colors, not specifically wrapped or painted. The Vs aren't getting wrapped since they're already in Nassau colors and will be dumped soon enough, and although its not important, I just felt to mention it because we might as well hold NICE to more things since, to me, its funny.

Wasn't this in the Off Topic Lounge section to be more general? Whatever. I was out at Great Neck the first day of NICE service and I remember seeing N25s and N20s rolling in with NGs, still in MTA livery, but everything seemed so different. Those first few weeks, everyone was scattering I remember to go find 1816, the only bus wrapped at the moment.

Wasn't this in the Off Topic Lounge section to be more general? Whatever. I was out at Great Neck the first day of NICE service and I remember seeing N25s and N20s rolling in with NGs, still in MTA livery, but everything seemed so different. Those first few weeks, everyone was scattering I remember to go find 1816, the only bus wrapped at the moment.

Lol Was I not the only one to not foam and search for 1816. Whatever!

Today (one year later) I was at Hempstead. Next year I hope to actually fan.

Last year's pattern: Subway, N4>N19>N55>N6> Subway

Today's pattern

Subway>N6>N35> Long walk > n23> N6

NICE way to start off the new year. The 5:27pm n20 from Hicksville to Flushing never showed up, leaving people, some of which were waiting since 5pm, to stand out in the cold till the 6:27pm n20. And that driver pulled into the n22 bus stop first before realizing her mistake, then she missed the bus stop at SUNY Old Westbury too (on weekends many drivers are skipping it even though they're supposed to stop there). Then on the way home the n20 at 8:22pm going east never showed up, gave up at 8:35pm and ran over for the LIRR at 8:45pm to the n22. They've had a year to get it right. Thats what you get for $15 an hour and no benefits. This is what was going to happen, we all knew it, the Hound told us. And don't say he is wrong, he's spend most of his life driving buses, I think he knows what he's talking about. What is it going to take to get the (MTA) to come back, because I'm willing to do whatever it takes.

Wow was everyone's ride with nice in 2012?

Am surprised that Nice still has the MTA blue paint line on some of the Orion Vll Next Gen.

No it wasn't NICE. There are less buses, they are more crowded, and they are more unreliable than they've ever been. And many riders must be pissed off because ridership is down. But thats the idea, drive down ridership so you can cut even more. Look at how they killed the n27. I was better off under the MTA. And I am praying and begging them to come back. I did at the MTA hearing and plan on doing even more this year, thats my New Year's resolution. NICE had their time, now its time for them to GO.

NICE way to start off the new year. The 5:27pm n20 from Hicksville to Flushing never showed up, leaving people, some of which were waiting since 5pm, to stand out in the cold till the 6:27pm n20. And that driver pulled into the n22 bus stop first before realizing her mistake, then she missed the bus stop at SUNY Old Westbury too (on weekends many drivers are skipping it even though they're supposed to stop there). Then on the way home the n20 at 8:22pm going east never showed up, gave up at 8:35pm and ran over for the LIRR at 8:45pm to the n22. They've had a year to get it right. Thats what you get for $15 an hour and no benefits. This is what was going to happen, we all knew it, the Hound told us. And don't say he is wrong, he's spend most of his life driving buses, I think he knows what he's talking about. What is it going to take to get the (MTA) to come back, because I'm willing to do whatever it takes.

Funny, considering that you used to bash MTA LI Bus all day everyday.