Megabus Van Hool TD925 DD014

aemoreira81

Nice shots, how many Double Deckers are running out of NYC?

There should be seven or so eventually for here...all for the NYC-DC line. Until then, it is just this one that Coach USA had transferred from Midwest operations, where 16 others are in service: DD001-DD012, and DD015-DD018 (there is no DD013---apparently Coach USA is superstitious). I'm not sure if this bus will eventually return to Chicago.

I'll know by next week if Coach USA has ANY buses with 13 as the final two digits where it was able to set the numbering.

As for NJ Transit...they can't order them, because of low clearances in the PABT.

There should be seven or so eventually for here...all for the NYC-DC line. Until then, it is just this one that Coach USA had transferred from Midwest operations, where 16 others are in service: DD001-DD012, and DD015-DD018 (there is no DD013---apparently Coach USA is superstitious). I'm not sure if this bus will eventually return to Chicago.

I'll know by next week if Coach USA has ANY buses with 13 as the final two digits where it was able to set the numbering.

As for NJ Transit...they can't order them, because of low clearances in the PABT.

Ya, low clearances at the PABT, but.. for the rest of their routes...... :(B)

- Andy

And for what routes?

Newark, JC, bayonne, and AC routes. Plus 1 or 2 for peak service between princeton & trenton. I'm no expert on which routes that could use the capacity, but i'm sure they exist. Also, connecting communities with large numbers of commuters to the airport. Use the lower level for luggage? :P

- Andy

How does this bus get from NYC to DC? Via GWB, or does it fit into the Lincoln Tunnel?????

I would think that they could use both, because the tunnel is about as high as the clearance on the lower deck of the GWB (13 feet).

- Andy

I would think that they could use both, because the tunnel is about as high as the clearance on the lower deck of the GWB (13 feet).

- Andy

Coach USA sightseeing buses barely fit through the Lincoln Tunnel, with the top off. When they have that canvass top up, they use the GWB, as the bus doesn't fit in the tunnel.........How tall is this Van-Hool?????

Coach USA sightseeing buses barely fit through the Lincoln Tunnel, with the top off. When they have that canvass top up, they use the GWB, as the bus doesn't fit in the tunnel.........How tall is this Van-Hool?????

I do not know but it is very much within the 12-14 foot range judging by the photos. It looks like it rides lower than the tourist busses though, so that might be a factor I just know the tunnel is 13 feet and the GWB is 14 somethin feet on the upper deck & 13 somethin on the lower deck.

What we dont want is this:

http://thomasjpitts.co.uk/mt/mt-search.cgi?tag=bridge&IncludeBlogs=1

- Andy

How does this bus get from NYC to DC? Via GWB, or does it fit into the Lincoln Tunnel?????

This model fits through the Lincoln Tunnel (but not the Holland)...about an inch or two to the good, but the driver can lower the bus a bit to give more clearance. (Coach USA may have tested this particular bus through the Lincoln...and this is why Coach USA is getting this model and not say the Dennis Enviro 600 (which as a closed-top will not fit).

TD925 Astromega specifications (the US variant of the Van Hool TD925)

This model fits through the Lincoln Tunnel (but not the Holland)...about an inch or two to the good, but the driver can lower the bus a bit to give more clearance. (Coach USA may have tested this particular bus through the Lincoln...and this is why Coach USA is getting this model and not say the Dennis Enviro 600 (which as a closed-top will not fit).

TD925 Astromega specifications (the US variant of the Van Hool TD925)

Yea, it looked like it rode lower to begin with based on those photos. To be competitive time wise, taking the tunnel makes sense.

- Andy

Newark, JC, bayonne, and AC routes. Plus 1 or 2 for peak service between princeton & trenton. I'm no expert on which routes that could use the capacity, but i'm sure they exist. Also, connecting communities with large numbers of commuters to the airport. Use the lower level for luggage? B)

- Andy

No bus service in NJ has the need for double deckers, just more frequency or artics.

It barely fits through the Lincoln.

Just like the Enviros with tops off......

The closed-top TD925 would absolutely not fit...they are 13'11".

Also, a sidenote: The CEO of Stagecoach Group (which owns Coach USA) is also a major stakeholder in the builder of the Enviro. He could have directed Alexander Dennis to design a coach that could, in the future, supplement the Megabus fleet or charter fleet for Coach USA that can also fit in the Lincoln Tunnel.

Bus looks sleek, the trip seems unsafe....I'd be a bit frightened to be on the top deck.

Awesome shots !

I am 98% certain that in the smooth roadbed of the tunnel, the driver lowers the thing for more clearance. We got some gnarly low bridges here of similar clearance, trucks & busses dont even slow down unless its a school bus & the clearance is really tight & precision is needed. One time a road under such a bridge got a re-pave & they had to do it over because no busses could fit. That being said, every so often you'll see some kind of crazy damage either on the structure or the vehicle.

- Andy

Bus looks sleek, the trip seems unsafe....I'd be a bit frightened to be on the top deck.

Awesome shots !

Oh, don't worry. Its done successful trips to the Washington D.C. and back. Riding one of those DDs would be one of the main reason why I'll ride MegaBus once.

At least you know it'll take alot to knock it over.....

This model, however, can tilt very much before it will even THINK of trying to tip over. (Take a look at the video Pablo posted in the above post.)

Even turning the wheel all the way going fast, the bus barely tilts.

This model, however, can tilt very much before it will even THINK of trying to tip over. (Take a look at the video Pablo posted in the above post.)

Even turning the wheel all the way going fast, the bus barely tilts.

Yea, i think it has auto-leveling suspension, and also probably light weight upper deck area. I've seen busses be made from half one material, and half another on a few documentaries on mass transit. I don't think the steering radius allows for turns abrupt enough to tilt it on a level surface. I think, though, if one side was elevated above the other, and a sharp turn was made, it might get close to falling over, but those busses have a very low center of gravity anyways, so i don't think it'd really ever be an issue.

- Andy

Oh, don't worry. Its done successful trips to the Washington D.C. and back. Riding one of those DDs would be one of the main reason why I'll ride MegaBus once.

At least you know it'll take alot to knock it over.....

That is the problem I would worry about, but seeing that video, all I can say is WOW!!! If it were the Van-Hools I have driven, it would have tucked, then rolled . Prevost H3-45 and Van-Hool T2145 have been notorious for being top heavy, and rolling over........The 2003 Hool I drove, was far better than the 1999 ones........

Archived