Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

Actually the demand to Bay Terrace is pretty good. Otherwise the Q28 wouldn't operate 10 minute headways or overnight. Yes the Q25 does bunch terribly. When I used it, I missed a Q25 but then one was right behind it and I was at Roosevelt Avenue/Main Street (what a coincidence). Plus because there is so much traffic on that part of Main Street, that's why there needs to be more limited service. Weekday peak hours. I say daily at all times except late nights is when Q25LTD should operate.

LTD service won't fix anything if there is traffic. The main traffic is that part of Main and Kissena but that is a small number of stops. If there is traffic and the bus isn't moving, you're not gonna lose time by stopping in a stop anyways....

I think other than the bunching, the Q25 is a fine route (I prefer the Q65 though)... "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LTD service won't fix anything if there is traffic. The main traffic is that part of Main and Kissena but that is a small number of stops. If there is traffic and the bus isn't moving, you're not gonna lose time by stopping in a stop anyways....

I think other than the bunching, the Q25 is a fine route (I prefer the Q65 though)... "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

True but I'm talking about the overall part of the route. The route overall should have added limited service. And speaking of the Q65, that route should have added limited service too on weekends because there is definitely demand. And I agree that both routes are great routes, they attract a lot of passengers.

He's probably never even been to Main Street pfft.

I think he suggests routes to go places, but he's actually never been to them and just looks at maps instead, and you know how that goes  :rolleyes:

Main has enough room for buses, the problem is not room itself, its the friggin traffic...

Pretty much all of Main Street from Northern to the bridge is occupied by a bus stand. I don't think there's a way to add more buses onto the street, especially since the 17 and 27 basically take up all the available space.

Yes but although Q34 does supplement the Q25, there's no point of having it do so. The Q34 has horrible headways (about 20 minutes) while the Q25 headways are no longer than 10 minutes. It's better just to truncate the Q34 to Flushing from Jamaica and extend it to Bay Terrace from Whitestone via Willets Point Boulevard and boost the Q25 like adding weekend and off-peak limited service because there's no point in sending that Q34 to Jamaica if it has bad headways. Almost certainly if it was a Bay Terrace-Flushing route, it would do better.

It's there as a supplement for the Q25, because...

The Q25 bunches a lot but I think the MTA should have some Q25's start at Main St Roosevelt Ave because there are long lines for that bus and sometimes during rush hour you can wait 15, 20 minutes before a bus would come.

Hmm! And maybe you could extend these Q25s to Willets Point Blvd and 150th St!

You're literally suggesting splitting the Q34 for the sake of splitting it. If the current Q34 has bunching problems Flushing-bound (and I don't see why it would), you could move the route onto Parsons with the Q20 and Q44, since they're so close together. The Q34 serves as a supplement on Kissena to make the bunching less of a crapshoot.

Actually the demand to Bay Terrace is pretty good. Otherwise the Q28 wouldn't operate 10 minute headways or overnight. Yes the Q25 does bunch terribly. When I used it, I missed a Q25 but then one was right behind it and I was at Roosevelt Avenue/Main Street (what a coincidence). Plus because there is so much traffic on that part of Main Street, that's why there needs to be more limited service. Weekday peak hours. I say daily at all times except late nights is when Q25LTD should operate.

Limited service wouldn't make anything better on that stretch of Main between Kissena and Northern. It's a few very short blocks, that just happen to take ten or twenty minutes to get through. It wouldn't matter if you made a stop every block or a single stop right outside the subway station - you're crawling through there, regardless of what you do.

Personally, I would support moving the Q34 onto Parsons before turning onto Willets Point Blvd, and extending them to Willets Point Blvd/Utopia Pkwy. Cut the Q16 route via Willets Point Blvd while you're at it.

Yup or just split Q38 and have Penelope branch do it or extend Q38P but interline it's trips with Q15/16/15a ect.

Plenty go there from flushing  via transit and cars.

People in Rego Park, go to Flushing, including error, no doubt about that.....

but what is the point of making it go to whitestone....

Oh it went to the post about the Q38 from Middle Village to Bayside or Whitestone but I forgot to quote it.

That route could do good if it bypassed running on Main Street (but did serve Northern and Main). The Whitestone Multiplex Cinemas would be a great place to terminate the route---as the College Point Depot is a stone's throw away. The question then becomes what to do with the Eliot branch....you pretty much have to send it to Ridgewood Terminal.

Edited by aemoreira81

That route could do good if it bypassed running on Main Street (but did serve Northern and Main). The Whitestone Multiplex Cinemas would be a great place to terminate the route---as the College Point Depot is a stone's throw away. The question then becomes what to do with the Eliot branch....you pretty much have to send it to Ridgewood Terminal.

Since I live on the Eliot Branch, Most People go to Elnhurst or the areas near the Rego Park center of those that stay on the bus, a good portion transferring to te Q38 5 out of 12 transferring to the Q38. No one really takes the Q38 to Ridgewood, that's why I proposed the Eliot branch of the Q38 merged with the Q88 (and there the Q88 would be a split, and can layover and turn within Fresh Pond Depot on that end.

Since I live on the Eliot Branch, Most People go to Elnhurst or the areas near the Rego Park center of those that stay on the bus, a good portion transferring to te Q38 5 out of 12 transferring to the Q38. No one really takes the Q38 to Ridgewood, that's why I proposed the Eliot branch of the Q38 merged with the Q88 (and there the Q88 would be a split, and can layover and turn within Fresh Pond Depot on that end.

The problem with the Q88 idea is that the Q88 is already a long route. IMO, if the branches are split they should be independent routes.

The problem with the Q88 idea is that the Q88 is already a long route. IMO, if the branches are split they should be independent routes.

True, but the Q88 for the most part is reliable. The Q38 not so much (the Q38 are given too little time between 69 st and Queens Center Mall along Eliot Avenue, as well with uneven loads on the Penelope Side, and that throws the schedule off, in addition to the trucks on 57th Avenue). If the Q88 was extended, it would possibly free up space at CP for any enhancements to their current local route, and the Q88, despite its long route, would be a split between Fresh Pond and QV, with short-turns rush hours and evenings at QCM because the Q88 is 4 times more frequent then the Q38, and the Eliot Avenue section needs 7 minute frequencies. Both Portions have different ridership habits, which is a problem. The Q59 is as long as the Q88, and its pretty reliable, so its not about its length, but about ts reliability (although generally longer routes are less reliable, but sometimes its not the case).

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

I think you underestimate how much people want to go to Main Street, and how much people aren't looking to go to the Whitestone Multiplex. The reason Main St is congested it's because it's a bottleneck, but it's also a very popular bottleneck. 45 min ride into Midtown Manhattan, and lots of retail and apartments. All of the things that people want to go to are centered on Main and Roosevelt - it doesn't stretch nearly as far as people would like, due to the intense amount of retail space and the three (soon to be four) malls in the vicinity of the train station. Main and Northern is too far from the action to make the bus useful - people would flock to other bus routes in the area. (It's also why the Q66 and Q12,13, and 28 go to Downtown Flushing instead of staying on Northern - Flushing is just that big as a trip generator.)

There are currently efforts to extend the Flushing business areas - as of right now the most vibrant area is between 38th and Sanford on Main/Kissena, extending half a block west and east from Main. Skyview was an ill-advised project that the regular Flushing developers declined to fund, because it was simply too far away - it's separated by the Bland Houses and a Hyatt that's under construction. It will be quite a while before the frenzied atmosphere in the central section of Flushing makes its way to Main and Northern, that's for sure.

Lol @ this..... That's a terrible place to end a bus route.

What consistent masses of riders do you see taking buses to the movie theatre, to the point that buses should terminate in that isolated location - regardless of how proximal it is to CP?

Talk about wasted mileage.....

Come on, you know the woes of the Q38 (even though it's gotten better than when it ran during the PBL days) - that's the only reason you're really suggesting that Q88's be extended in that direction.... You said it yourself, the Q88 is reliable (for the most part).... What's making you think that same reliability will be upheld with an extension of the Q88 to Ridgewood, is beyond me!

Q88 has no business being extended on the opposite side of Queens Blvd....

The problem with the Q88 idea is that the Q88 is already a long route.

Almost 9 miles, according to google maps... and (spread out) passenger distribution doesn't help with the route's runtime either.... It's one reason I would cut it back to Union Tpke.... Extending the Q88 to Ridgewood would make it a "superroute".....

I think you underestimate how much people want to go to Main Street, and how much people aren't looking to go to the Whitestone Multiplex.

He's not underestimating how many ppl want to go to Main Street....

He's one of these folks on here (there's someone else on here that tends to do this as well) that clamors for, or tries to come up w/ ways to have *some* type of bus service directly serve the Whitestone Cinemas.... That's all this is.

Edited by B35 via Church

The Q88 is unreliable at times sometimes I waited 30 minutes for a bus to show up. If anything keep the Q88 the way it is because extending it will decrease reliability.

That's the case with any route... increasing the length can decrease its reliability.

I don't see why everyone wants to extend it so bad,,, it is fine the way it is.... if it ain't broke don't fix it...