Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why get so defensive? He's just asking why? I think that's a fair question. If you're going to propose something, be prepared to defend it.

But still look at the map. There is no other sensible route I could use to get to Foster.

If that's your reason for it then that's what it is. Maybe he thinks there's another way though...

If he's worried about traffic, any route I took would have to use Linden, so there is no other sensible way...

Why send the B81 down Linden Blvd between Van Siclen Avenue and Bank Street?

Why get so defensive? He's just asking why? I think that's a fair question. If you're going to propose something, be prepared to defend it.

Yeah, his concern isn't all that unfounded....

While I do agree that Foster b/w kings hwy & rockaway pkwy should have bus service, once you start getting east of rockaway pkwy on foster, forget it.... it's what I like to call "empty mileage", where buses aren't/won't pick up much if any passengers in the area..... fact of the matter is, every area aint suitable for bus service.....

as far as Threxx's B81 or whatever, I don't necessary agree with it in its totality, but it has its pluses.... a "minus" I do have with it though, is the routing on that part of foster, moreso than that part of linden..... If you're having the route run up to linden blvd from gateway, you may as well have it continue on linden to rockaway av, then make its way onto foster from there..... instead of running along foster, to bank, etc.....

Yeah, his concern isn't all that unfounded....

While I do agree that Foster b/w kings hwy & rockaway pkwy should have bus service, once you start getting east of rockaway pkwy on foster, forget it.... it's what I like to call "empty mileage", where buses aren't/won't pick up much if any passengers in the area..... fact of the matter is, every area aint suitable for bus service.....

as far as Threxx's B81 or whatever, I don't necessary agree with it in its totality, but it has its pluses.... a "minus" I do have with it though, is the routing on that part of foster, moreso than that part of linden..... If you're having the route run up to linden blvd from gateway, you may as well have it continue on linden to rockaway av, then make its way onto foster from there..... instead of running along foster, to bank, etc.....

I'm trying to have the route avoid Linden Bl traffic as much as possible while keeping a direct route. That was the most direct route.

Here's a map detailing the new B49/B50 arrangement.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213458373195564989412.0004bfeabaf6f64a338cd&msa=0&ll=40.618513,-73.935671&spn=0.037722,0.077162

I'm working on my Clarkson Avenue realignment, which includes changes to B42 service. All I'll say at this point, since the map is not finished, that it includes a new branch on weekends.

http://maps.google.c...037722,0.077162

I'm working on my Clarkson Avenue realignment, which includes changes to B42 service. All I'll say at this point, since the map is not finished, that it includes a new branch on weekends.

Good God... Don't you have school... EVER?? I come in early and leave late to work so when I take breaks or whatever I can come on here... What's your excuse?

LOL. Slap the cuffs on him. :P

My friends think I'm weird, but the teachers are either naïve or just not paying attention.

http://maps.google.c...150712,0.308647

The Clarkson Avenue realignment, with the B12 moved to Empire and two new routes replacing it.

(The B28 was originally Mysterious2train's idea, I made some changes though...)

Edited by ThrexxBus

I'm trying to have the route avoid Linden Bl traffic as much as possible while keeping a direct route. That was the most direct route.

If you say so.....

http://maps.google.c...037722,0.077162

A bus route on Bergen avenue? Really now....

You clearly haven't been to these areas you're whimsically proposing bus service for......

A bus route on Bergen avenue? Really now....

You clearly haven't been to these areas you're whimsically proposing bus service for......

Well, Checkmate said there was a gap in service on Avenue J on that area and I filled it. The B49 can terminate somewhere else.

Well, Checkmate said there was a gap in service on Avenue J on that area and I filled it. The B49 can terminate somewhere else.

LOL... Whoa whoa whoa... The B49 is not used like that to warrant such a long extension. That other route isn't need either, especially not for Bergen Beach. The (MTA) cut the B3 back from Bergen Beach apparently because there wasn't enough ridership. I'm all for more service, but this is overkill. You have to realize that some communities are secluded and they like that and want to keep it that way. They don't want buses and such clogging up their streets and the noise and such so they just drive. Bergen Beach is pretty small like Mill Basin and so there is no need for that much service. They're both mainly middle class to upper middle class areas and don't see tons of traffic similar to Gerritsen Beach.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

LOL... Whoa whoa whoa... The B49 is not used like that to warrant such a long extension. That other route isn't need either, especially not for Bergen Beach. The (MTA) cut the B3 back from Bergen Beach apparently because there wasn't enough ridership. I'm all for more service, but this is overkill. You have to realize that some communities are secluded and they like that and want to keep it that way. They don't want buses and such clogging up their streets and the noise and such so they just drive. Bergen Beach is pretty small like Mill Basin and so there is no need for that much service. They're both mainly middle class to upper middle class areas and don't see tons of traffic similar to Gerritsen Beach.

You don't understand do you... the purpose of the extention isn't Bergen Beach. I can move the route from there. The point is to fill an obivous gap in service to an area that will use it. The B49 can be moved from Bergen Beach. The B50 is replacing the B49 on Ocean, so I needed a place for the B49 to go.

On another note, here is the map for my revamped Central Brooklyn & Canarsie feeder service.

The B43 has not been added yet.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213458373195564989412.0004c08eaa13e3791d33b&msa=0

Well, Checkmate said there was a gap in service on Avenue J on that area and I filled it......
.... the purpose of the extention isn't Bergen Beach. I can move the route from there. The point is to fill an obivous gap in service to an area that will use it. The B49 can be moved from Bergen Beach. The B50 is replacing the B49 on Ocean, so I needed a place for the B49 to go.

....and that right there is your problem.

Your assumption that people would use any service on the sole basis of it filling a gap.....

You use the excuse of "the purpose isn't bergen beach"... Same logic you used w/ that other route going to mill basin....

Fact of the matter is, you're proposed/proposing having routes physically run in these areas.... Ever occur to you that bus service will never be sought after in certain residential communities..... People opt to want to live in areas AWAY from the hustle & bustle (or, the "riff raff") - and local buses to folks that live in such areas represent that very thing.....

Part of which is why I believe not every gap in service needs to be filled.....

My issue with you is with all these routes you're proposing is, you don't consider people's riding habits.... You're doing nothing more than "connecting the dots"....

....and that right there is your problem.

Your assumption that people would use any service on the sole basis of it filling a gap.....

You use the excuse of "the purpose isn't bergen beach"... Same logic you used w/ that other route going to mill basin....

Fact of the matter is, you're proposed/proposing having routes physically run in these areas.... Ever occur to you that bus service will never be sought after in certain residential communities..... People opt to want to live in areas AWAY from the hustle & bustle (or, the "riff raff") - and local buses to folks that live in such areas represent that very thing.....

Part of which is why I believe not every gap in service needs to be filled.....

My issue with you is with all these routes you're proposing is, you don't consider people's riding habits.... You're doing nothing more than "connecting the dots"....

That was exactly what I was trying to say, but you nailed it. I mean if you look at Bergen Beach, the area is not one in which bus service would be good. It is small and doesn't see a lot of traffic and rather tucked away and the people that live there like it that way. It is all residential and folks moving there know that they'll need a car or must be prepared to walk to Avenue U for the B3 if they need public transit. I could see the community even protesting a bus coming in there for the reason you mentioned...

Since I rode several brooklyn bus routes this week, and I think most need a lot of revamping. I'm touching the ones I rode this week only

B1: Maybe a bus lane can be added?

B4: New frequencies with 12 minutes off peak hours and 8 minutes rush hours. Service restored to Pre-2010 routing

B6: Limited Service on Sundays can work out

B7: Untouched

B8: Have runs still run to 95 street station

B70: For some reason, I feel like this route can be extended to Downtown Brooklyn via 3rd Avenue or 4th Avenue

Others

B41: I find the Branching Annoying, although there really isn't a way to fix that

B82: Can use limited service weekends as well

B2: Eliminated. The B100 will now run every 3 minutes rush hours and 10 minutes off peak hours to accomudate B2 Riders

B54/Q55: Merger and extended on eastern end to Jamaica, called Q55

B67: Becomes a fully Limited bus with current frequencies, extended along Mc Donald to At Least Kings Hwy, and if demand, to Coney Island

B69: Local version of B67, remains on Vanderbuilt Avenue, Follows B67 route to Kings Hwy or CI, runs at 8 minute frequencies rush hours and 15 off peak

Edited by Q23 Central Term

Why combine the Q55 and the B54? I actually thought of doing that, but I feared it may have been a bad idea to combine those routes.

It would be more connectivity. Although the pattern would be 8 minutes for the route weekdays except for middays, where it would be 15 minutes. Weekends, the route would operate at 15 minutes, with the exception of Sunday Morning Service, which would be 20 minutes

Since I rode several brooklyn bus routes this week, and I think most need a lot of revamping. I'm touching the ones I rode this week only

B70: For some reason, I feel like this route can be extended to Downtown Brooklyn via 3rd Avenue or 4th Avenue

lol... That's because the B70 was re-routed to take up some of the former B37 routing in Bay Ridge that was eliminated. Thank Senator Golden and the residents of Bay Ridge for that. They fought hard to get some bus service along that portion of 3rd Avenue.

Are you referring to Avenue J (or K. whatever he wanted it to go down) or Bergen Beach? Because if it's Avenue J, I don't see residents really protesting having a bus down there.

B6: Limited Service on Sundays can work out

B8: Have runs still run to 95 street station

B82: Can use limited service weekends as well

B2: Eliminated. The B100 will now run every 3 minutes rush hours and 10 minutes off peak hours to accomudate B2 Riders

B54/Q55: Merger and extended on eastern end to Jamaica, called Q55

B6: Agree.

B7: I thought you wanted it sent to Canarsie.

B8: Agree.

B70: The problem is that the portion along 3rd Avenue didn't have much ridership. But I guess it would be a little more efficient than the old B37 was.

B82: It already has limited service on the weekends.

B2: Just make sure the B100 is rerouted so it better accomodates former B2 riders.

B54/Q55: Others have proposed that in the past, and the answer is that it's too long.

Thought it was obvious I was talking about Bergen Beach.....

Because you talked about "gaps being filled", and the gap he was talking about was along Avenue J. He just figured it would be better to have it continue and serve Bergen Beach from there, but he could just as easily cut it back to Ralph Avenue & Avenue J.