Major Traffic Headache: Union City - May 19 - Sept 2012

161 New York

I saw the variable message board near Bergenline Avenue. Lately the traffic has been unbearable in the afternoon at all times (I reverse commute into Bergen County from Staten Island, NY). This will just make things even more fun.

South Marginal Street bridge deck over Park Avenue

to be replaced in Weehawken

NJDOT will reduce roadway from two lanes to one during construction

Many of NJ TRANSIT’s bus routes traveling on eastbound South Marginal Street may operate with delays near the immediate construction area. All customers on these affected bus routes are advised to allow for extra travel time getting to and from their destination.

From: http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2012/051512w.shtm

The affected bus routes include:

107, 108 ,111, 115 , 121 , 123 , 124 , 125 , 127 , 129 , 144 , 154 , 156 , 159 , 160 , 161 , 163 , 167 , 190 , 191 , 192 , 195 , 199

A number of local NJ TRANSIT bus routes also will be impacted by traffic congestion in

the area of the construction project:

22/22X. 84P, 86, 89

All customers on these affected bus routes are advised to allow for extra travel time

getting to and from your destination.

NJ TRANSIT regrets any inconvenience this detour may cause. Customers may visit

njtransit.com or call 973-275-5555 to contact NJ TRANSIT.

From: http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2012/documents/NJTSouthMarginalStreetbusroutes.pdf

I saw the variable message board near Bergenline Avenue. Lately the traffic has been unbearable in the afternoon at all times (I reverse commute into Bergen County from Staten Island, NY). This will just make things even more fun.

South Marginal Street bridge deck over Park Avenue

to be replaced in Weehawken

NJDOT will reduce roadway from two lanes to one during construction

Many of NJ TRANSIT’s bus routes traveling on eastbound South Marginal Street may operate with delays near the immediate construction area. All customers on these affected bus routes are advised to allow for extra travel time getting to and from their destination.

The affected bus routes include:

107, 108 ,111, 115 , 121 , 123 , 124 , 125 , 127 , 129 , 144 , 154 , 156 , 159 , 160 , 161 , 163 , 167 , 190 , 191 , 192 , 195 , 199

A number of local NJ TRANSIT bus routes also will be impacted by traffic congestion in

the area of the construction project:

22/22X. 84P, 86, 89

All customers on these affected bus routes are advised to allow for extra travel time

getting to and from your destination.

NJ TRANSIT regrets any inconvenience this detour may cause. Customers may visit

njtransit.com or call 973-275-5555 to contact NJ TRANSIT.

sounds like kennedy blvd exit all over again like it was two years ago.

Today most Wayne and Oradell Buses went bellow 495 near toys r us while Howell and Ironbound went to njt extension to Holland for the weehawken lots hearing radio chatter on the 84p. What is the purpose of the lot for, which garage uses it and where do drivers go after they are done after parking it inside?

Howell,Wayne and Oradell are in the Weehawken Lot. The reason for them parking there is to avoid the long deadhead to/from their garages. Most drivers catch the shuttles that run back to their respective garages after AM runs and come back before the start of the PM rush but some guys do hang around the lot all day, probably hoping to pick up a piece of emergency OT.

A couple other companies do the same thing....Lakeland parks at the Meadowlands garage, Suburban parks at Coach USA's Elizabeth facilty, Shortline parks at the Grey Line garage in Hoboken and they have another holding lot off 1/9. However lately they guys who work out of Mahwah have been just DH'ing back there. Academy guys have space reserved for them in a couple places in the city plus their garage in Hoboken. DeCamp just goes back to Montclair....that's not a long DH. I *think* Rockland Coaches just goes back their Westwood garage.

I took the 124 home today....it was not a fun ride though Union City at all. Alot of buses stayed with 495.....I can just imagine the delays today. The 124 I take turns into a 166T to Leonia, at the time he was suppose to be pulling out of the PABT, he was just coming out the tunnel and had to join the conga line onto 10th Av. He was over an hour late arriving into the Port. It's getting bad for the NJT guys and girls, actually all the buses using the Port are getting slammed. It's way past the time for the City and PANY&NJ to do something.

I took the 124 home today....it was not a fun ride though Union City at all. Alot of buses stayed with 495.....I can just imagine the delays today. The 124 I take turns into a 166T to Leonia, at the time he was suppose to be pulling out of the PABT, he was just coming out the tunnel and had to join the conga line onto 10th Av. He was over an hour late arriving into the Port. It's getting bad for the NJT guys and girls, actually all the buses using the Port are getting slammed. It's way past the time for the City and PANY&NJ to do something.

During these busy times cars should not be allowed to use 495 or the tunnel. But that'll never happen!

During these busy times cars should not be allowed to use 495 or the tunnel. But that'll never happen!

Alot of the time the problem is not the tunnel,it the line from the PABT that backs up into the tunnel. And at the same time where would you send the car traffic, the Holland or the GWB? You guys have got to be realistic about mass transit, it does not work for everybody.....stop trying to make the people in cars out to be some evil doers

Alot of the time the problem is not the tunnel,it the line from the PABT that backs up into the tunnel. And at the same time where would you send the car traffic, the Holland or the GWB? You guys have got to be realistic about mass transit, it does not work for everybody.....stop trying to make the people in cars out to be some evil doers

Well then there is a problem with PABT capacity. Unfortunately the tight turns in there mean the buses cant move any faster. Hence the idea of allowing NJ Transit buses to make stops in Manhattan outside of the terminal. But there's problems with that too, but I think some buses should go downtown instead of to PABT. Either that or find a way to expand the PABT, maybe get rid of the parking garage and turn it into new gates.

As it now things are tight at the 300 gates, sometimes arriving our bus has to circle because none are available, and Coach USA doesn't like us using theirs. The other idea is to get Coach USA out and have them stop on the streets. There's really no easy solution, unfortunately.

Coach USA pays their money for their gates like everybody else.....there is no "putting them out" for NJT. And everybody is bitchy about the gate situation....the lower level is as bad as upstairs during the rush. It has nothing to do with the "tightness" of the upper levels and everything to do with the fact that it's way too many buses and not enough gates. And just think it's this bad with half of Wayne's buses downstairs....wait until their gates are redone! The PABT needs to be expanded, plain and simple. The roof needs to be reinforced for buses and another level built.

I had a cusa damn near chop my head off lol cause i backed my bus right at the corner before you make that right into 319-20. Lol i was like i dont see your name on it.

Like I said it proves my point....everybody has been going off on one another over the gate issue. Before it was just an annoyance to go out of the building and come back in, but with the Nazi's (aka traffic cops) everywhere what used to be a 5 minute run around the building takes 30 mins or more. Lately it seems like the PAPD and NYPD are going outta their way to make the drivers life miserable.

And whoever was the Howell driver that told the PA cop to "F**k off, pig!" last Friday, deserves a medal....the cop was being totally unreasonable!

Archived