More and More R68 Bs

N-Trizzy2609

I went to railfan at Kings Highway today and boy, I spent two hours there. I love the face that it's a great railfan spot but where are all the R40/M (B) Trains? I only saw four R40 (B)s, one R40M (B) but the rest (five) were R68/A (B) trains including one that stopped on the local track. All ten locals I saw were of couse R68 (Q) trains. One of them had (K) rollsign with the destinations going to 21st Street/Queens coming from Rockaway Parkway which I thought was cool to see.

But the point remains, is the (B) going to be fully R68s by summers end?

But the point remains, is the (B) going to be fully R68s by summers end?

The R40 Modified's are goign to be around a while longer, but the slants time is going to be up very soon...one of those "any day now" situations, but I'd guess reasonably they'll be off the road by the end of the month so get your last rides in..

So to answer your question it will be R68/A and R40M by summer's end...those mods may move off the (B) but nothing "official" yet..

The R40 Modified's are goign to be around a while longer, but the slants time is going to be up very soon...one of those "any day now" situations, but I'd guess reasonably they'll be off the road by the end of the month so get your last rides in..

So to answer your question it will be R68/A and R40M by summer's end...those mods may move off the (B) but nothing "official" yet..

They might be moving the 40Ms to the (A) and (C) lines by the end of the year.

The R40 and R40M's will still be around, on the (B). I see what you mean. I am having better luck catching an R68 and R68A on the (B) more than the R40 and R40m. The R40m's haven't disappeared, especially the odd couple of R40M 4460 and R42 4465. The R40 slant cars aren't appearing as much anymore. B)

Since the (B) and (Q) are different colored circles, the R68 and R68A cars with the (B) and (Q) signs won't confuse the riders.

The R40 slants may not be around next year.

The R68 and R68A have appeared on the (B) occasionally when the R40 R40M and R42 cars were still running full service. Now that about a third of the R42's and R40 slant cars are gone, more R68 and R68a subway cars are on the (B). I don't find this strange at all. Growing up in the Brighton line, the R68 and R68A's dominated the (D) (Q6) from 1990-1997 and I was just a little kid.

Anyways, the R40 and R40M cars have been in service regularly since April of 1997 when appearing on the (Q6), then in 2001 the (Qx) and then on the (B). It also ran on the (Q) Brighton Local as well.

The R68 and R68A have appeared on the (B) occasionally when the R40 R40M and R42 cars were still running full service. Now that about a third of the R42's and R40 slant cars are gone, more R68 and R68a subway cars are on the (B). I don't find this strange at all. Growing up in the Brighton line, the R68 and R68A's dominated the (D) (Q6) from 1990-1997 and I was just a little kid.

Anyways, the R40 and R40M cars have been in service regularly since April of 1997 when appearing on the (Q6), then in 2001 the (Qx) and then on the (B). It also ran on the (Q) Brighton Local as well.

That's true I did live by Newkirk from 1993-1998 (1-6 years old) and I saw many R68s (D) and (Q6) but for some reason it appeared on trains as (Q) but (Q6) on maps. But don't forget, the Brighton line wont fully be R68s, the (Q) is getting the 160s by Fall.

That's true I did live by Newkirk from 1993-1998 (1-6 years old) and I saw many R68s (D) and (Q6) but for some reason it appeared on trains as (Q) but (Q6) on maps. But don't forget, the Brighton line wont fully be R68s, the (Q) is getting the 160s by Fall.

There were no (Q6) designations on the rollsigns, hence; the (Q) and (Qx) was used. Before the Manhattan Bridge Switch in 2001, 90% of the front and side rollsigns on the R68/R68A fleet was updated.

R68 and R68A's currently compromise 50% of (B)'s fleet while the other 50% are R40 Slants and R40M's For some reason I have better chance of catching an R68 and R68A rather than R40 and R40m.

R40 cars have outlived their usefulness, 40 years of service is amazing. Sad, but yeah, people complain all the time that the R40 slants have to go.

So this means R40Ms are disappearing on the (:D already? Or R68 replacing the slants? Either way... :mad:

I don't notice a decrease in the R40M cars, I see more R68 and R68A cars. Now that you said it, the R40M's are dominating the (B) and none on (W).

Archived