Hypothetical Super-Express

Tokkemon

Trains skip platforms all the time.

Would sets of switches at those key stations help to alleviate this conundrum?

It could, but then that would put a lot more work on the tower operators..

As said before the best way to implement super express service is to give the super express its own separate track.

Let me preface by saying this is only conceptual and I'm not thinking of the MTA doing this in any near future. However, I'm making a fantasy map and I had an idea of super-express and express sharing the same tracks for a limited time during the day. Is this possible or would there be delays abound?

To illustrate more clearly let me introduce this abstract hypothetical situation:

superexpressconcept.png

Say I have stations A - G. Station A and G are "super-express" stations where all trains stop. Station D is an "express" station where express and local trains stop but super-express would skip. Stations B, C, E, and F are local where only local trains stop. My question is, could the Super-express (3) and Express (2) services share the same tracks? Local (1) would be on its own local track.

Thoughts?

I have created routes like this for trainz, using DeKalb Av and 135 St Station models to work off of. I also have an Island 6T. I have the pictures on my computer, I'll upload them when I get back to the US.

Well, nothing prevents T/Os from breaking the rule, like this:

It seems pretty safe in this location, because it's a straight track and the T/O knows it's unoccupied by other trains. But that's not always the case.

That "woo, SHIT!" at the end of the video is hilarious.

The ONLY place a Super-Express will work is on the (F) between Kew Gardens and 179th St. Then again, it's only skipping Parsons [which is an Express-ish Stop without Express Service now]. And don't know if there will be Express Service sprouting in action on that section anyways...

Guest Lance

That's not a super express. That's just a regular express. A good example of a super express would be the proposed Queens Blvd bypass. Just for the sake of illustration, let's use the current Queens Blvd line setup. The (E) would be the regular express, stopping at Queens Plaza, Roosevelt Av, 71 Av and continuing normally to JCPA. The (M) and (R) would remain the locals making their usual stops and the (F) would be the super express, only stopping at 21 St-Queensbridge and 71 Av before continuing to 179 St. That means 71 Av would be the transfer between the super express, normal express and the locals. Roosevelt Av would be the transfer point between only the normal express and locals.

@Q23 Central Term: Not that I'm aware of

Well, nothing prevents T/Os from breaking the rule, like this:

[media=]

[/media]

It seems pretty safe in this location, because it's a straight track and the T/O knows it's unoccupied by other trains. But that's not always the case.

this r142 is signed up as a (3)

That's not a super express. That's just a regular express. A good example of a super express would be the proposed Queens Blvd bypass. Just for the sake of illustration, let's use the current Queens Blvd line setup. The (E) would be the regular express, stopping at Queens Plaza, Roosevelt Av, 71 Av and continuing normally to JCPA. The (M) and (R) would remain the locals making their usual stops and the (F) would be the super express, only stopping at 21 St-Queensbridge and 71 Av before continuing to 179 St. That means 71 Av would be the transfer between the super express, normal express and the locals. Roosevelt Av would be the transfer point between only the normal express and locals.

@Q23 Central Term: Not that I'm aware of

I ask because I see (2) TRAINS STOP AT 59 STREET, and I've seen a lot of that. I would like to take one if one stops at 59 to see if It stops at 50 or 66 street

I ask because I see (2) TRAINS STOP AT 59 STREET, and I've seen a lot of that. I would like to take one if one stops at 59 to see if It stops at 50 or 66 street

G.O's or unplanned service changes probably. It's not possible without stopping at 50th & 66th...

G.O's or unplanned service changes probably. It's not possible without stopping at 50th & 66th...

With those G.Os it's kinda what's going on here. The (2) basically skips everything but 59 street between TSQ and 72 street but on the local track, while the "super express" the (3) runs express between 42 and 72 without the 59 street stop

Guest Lance

There is absolutely no demand for anything resembling the JFK Express. Anyone in midtown can easily hop on the (E) or (F) to Sutphin-Jamaica to connect to the AirTrain JFK, which would be a much faster ride than the meandering Fulton Street line in Brooklyn.

Archived