Subway Conductor Appears to Doze off on Train, MTA Investigating

mark1447

I've read this thread a few times and I'd like to throw this in if I may. Pelham Bay Dave, RTOman, Y2Julio, and FriedChikkin, are down there in train service and know what they're talking about. The C/R IS in charge of the train and operating the doors is only part of his/her job. There are rules that must be followed and if this person violated them the C/R will be dealt with. While reading this and similar threads it's obvious to me why there's animosity betwween railfans and some workers. I took my car in to be serviced recently and I waited in a waiting room while the mechanics did their thing. I never thought of peeping over their shoulders and filming them. To me, personally, the subway car is the waiting room in this case and the T/O or C/R is the person doing the work. Where does a person get the right to film another person doing his or her job, without permission? In this casr,IMO, only a TSS like Pelham Bay Dave has the right to oversee the train crews operation and behavior. The person doing the filming in this case had no clue what the C/R was doing, mentally or physically, but the filmer figured he had a "gotcha" clip and publicized it for some purpose.IF said C/R was physically ill who is to say that RCC wasn't already informed and a supervisor was going to meet the train enroute? That wasn't the case here but it has happened before. Let's say this was one of those scrape the wall runs where the C/R was clearing (going home) at the end of the line.. If the C/R or T/O was sick and couldn't make it to the end of the line the filmer would have been the first one crying when the train was discharged and there was a 20 minute wait 'til the next train. I know that I've personally relieved a T/O who fell ill on one of those wall scraper runs and operated for 3/4 of the way to the terminal so the riders weren't delayed on a midnight run AND I WASN'T on the payroll when I did it. Before condemning a person know that person's circumstances before doing so. Otherwise you risk coming off as petty or simply ignorant. BTW, to all my midnight RTO crews out here. Maybe a few "comfort reliefs" would put the ignorant ones among us in place or maybe they'd want to film that also. Just my opinion. Carry on.

Dan05979 have you been a Conductor long? Are you a Conductor? You've never gotten tired and really wanted to put your head down for a minute? That guy's old, too. I know, screw him, right? How was his day? Was the road screwed up and his interval was turned back? Did he have to make an extra trip?

WHAT DID THE CONDUCTOR DO THAT WAS DANGEROUS TO HIMSELF OR ANYONE ELSE? Yes I KNOW the Conductor's responsibilities and not everyone is at 100% all of the time. Go ahead and watch us ALL 100% of the time... we're not at 100% all the time!!! That goes for ANYone, ANY job. Did he yell at anyone? Call them names? Close the doors on them? Start watching a DVD? Was he operating the train???

You let me know where you're going to be working and I bet I can find Rule Book discretions in your operation before one round trip is done. How many crews do the MANDATORY radio check before leaving EVERY terminal? DO YOU?

You should be a comedian, thanks for the laugh. I bet if we were face to face you'd be coming at me differently, but its all good.

And if you've scraped the wall on the (A) to the Roc–which, last I worked it, is everything after the 22:05 out of 207th Street–you understand how tiring it is. Most people talking crap have no damn idea what a single day is like even if nothing goes wrong. Maybe they should stick to admiring trains and not putting in their worthless 2¢ regarding the job.

I watched the video a couple of times. I'd say he was resting his eyes. The fact that he gets up long before the train comes to a stop tells me that he's cognizant–had the train rolled in and come to a stop with his face pressed against the window because he's passed out is another story.

I don't expect anyone who's never had to hold his head outside of a train through all weather conditions a couple of hundred times a day as part of his job description to understand. You know what that's like in Spring if you have allergies? Besides the steel dust all the pollen and crap from the city gets blown through the tunnels.

I know, screw him, maybe he should dance for you, too. Some of you comment like being a Conductor's barely a job. Your magnanimity is astounding.

Well said. Being a conductor is one of the hardest jobs to have.

I've read this thread a few times and I'd like to throw this in if I may. Pelham Bay Dave, RTOman, Y2Julio, and FriedChikkin, are down there in train service and know what they're talking about. The C/R IS in charge of the train and operating the doors is only part of his/her job. There are rules that must be followed and if this person violated them the C/R will be dealt with. While reading this and similar threads it's obvious to me why there's animosity betwween railfans and some workers. I took my car in to be serviced recently and I waited in a waiting room while the mechanics did their thing. I never thought of peeping over their shoulders and filming them. To me, personally, the subway car is the waiting room in this case and the T/O or C/R is the person doing the work. Where does a person get the right to film another person doing his or her job, without permission? In this casr,IMO, only a TSS like Pelham Bay Dave has the right to oversee the train crews operation and behavior. The person doing the filming in this case had no clue what the C/R was doing, mentally or physically, but the filmer figured he had a "gotcha" clip and publicized it for some purpose.IF said C/R was physically ill who is to say that RCC wasn't already informed and a supervisor was going to meet the train enroute? That wasn't the case here but it has happened before. Let's say this was one of those scrape the wall runs where the C/R was clearing (going home) at the end of the line.. If the C/R or T/O was sick and couldn't make it to the end of the line the filmer would have been the first one crying when the train was discharged and there was a 20 minute wait 'til the next train. I know that I've personally relieved a T/O who fell ill on one of those wall scraper runs and operated for 3/4 of the way to the terminal so the riders weren't delayed on a midnight run AND I WASN'T on the payroll when I did it. Before condemning a person know that person's circumstances before doing so. Otherwise you risk coming off as petty or simply ignorant. BTW, to all my midnight RTO crews out here. Maybe a few "comfort reliefs" would put the ignorant ones among us in place or maybe they'd want to film that also. Just my opinion. Carry on.

Don't forget to bring Eric B and Andrew to the party.

Yeah, sick days that they don't want us using. Use more than 50% of it? Well, get ready to call TA every time you need to leave your house and have someone come down to see if you're home and really sick. Do they do that at your job? Do they bar you from promotions automatically if you've used too many sick days? If you getting only 5 sick days a year is so terrible, then quit then. Let someone else do your job.

RIMSHOT.....

Archived