Subway Conductor Appears to Doze off on Train, MTA Investigating

mark1447

So... After a few days ago of the MNCR Engineer caught reading a newspaper while operating an M7, now this...

The MTA tells NBC 4 New York it is investigating a subway conductor for allegedly dozing off in his cabin on an uptown 1 train late last week.

The probe comes after NBC 4 New York presented another video from a viewer showing a train worker not appearing to be alert while on the job.

Last week, NBC 4 New York broke the story of a Metro-North train engineer being investigated for reading a newspaper while driving a morning rush-hour train to Grand Central Terminal.

Days after the report aired, another viewer contacted the station, concerned after watching a conductor in his train car slumped in his seat, resting his head on his arms. It was at about midnight Friday.

Andrew Alpert, the chair of the New York City Transit Riders Council, an MTA oversight body, said the situation was nowhere as glaring or egregious as last week's incident because in that case, the engineer was actually driving the train.

In this case, Alpert explained, the subway conductor is responsible mainly for opening and closing train doors.

"We don't know for how long he was nodding off, if in fact he was nodding off," said Alpert. "We don't know for how many stations that was -- was it just one station, and the guy just happened to capture it on his cell phone? We just don't enough. So when you don't know enough, you give the gentleman the benefit of the doubt."

The MTA said in a statement Wednesday, "The video clearly shows that the conductor of this Number 1 Local did not appear to be alert, but it's unclear from this angle whether he was actually sleeping. We are investigating this incident and will take appropriate action."

Video / Source:

http://www.nbcnewyor...-158994615.html

I'm not taking sides, but what I have to say is that the conductor's pretty dumb for doing that BECAUSE everyone has cameras on their cell phones, and many people won't hesitate to take a video of a city worker dozing off. Especially with the Metro North one in recent news, the conductor in question should be thinking about that.

Now the conductor dozing off doesn't pose a serious threat to passenger safety, but if it was the train operator or the Metro North engineer, that's a completely different story and should be fired immediately if they're caught purposely taking their attention away from the tracks, especially that Metro North engineer for reading a newspaper and clearly not even looking up.

Railfan while you still can. Cameras are getting banned soon.

Because that's ALWAYS the solution. When faced with these situations, instead of making sure people do their jobs properly and professionally, enact regulations to prevent them from being held accountable. HAH.

Because that's ALWAYS the solution. When faced with these situations, instead of making sure people do their jobs properly and professionally, enact regulations to prevent them from being held accountable. HAH.

I'm just saying. Employees are more likely to have a problem with camears if they know even if they do so much as pee in a bottle it's getting recorded, on the news, and results in them possibly getting fired.

You can't blame the man. I would also find it hard to stay awake on a train where the lights constantly flicker on and off. Just saying is all...

Of course you can blame him. He chose to take the job, and if he can't handle it then he's more than welcome to quit.

Of course you can blame him. He chose to take the job, and if he can't handle it then he's more than welcome to quit.

lol... It's true... And what's even worse is we're becoming a society where no one accepts blame for their own actions. This is a side note but today's generation wonders why they can't find jobs... It's not just that folks aren't hiring. It's also the issue of many people not being qualified and on top of that no one takes their job seriously anymore. Rampid IRRESPONSIBILITY... If they screw up, instead of taking responsibility, they claim it isn't a big deal or it's always someone else's fault. I mean at the end of the day you are PAID to do a JOB. If you can't do it or don't want to do it, no one is forcing you to do that job. Find something else!! Work is hard and work isn't easy. That's life... I wish folks would stop making excuses already.

Did anybody ever accept blame for their own actions?

Some do and many don't. Unfortunately I think these sorts of incidents will continue for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Each generation seems to become lazier and the standards are further dimmed down. Everyone wants high salaries, but no one wants to work hard. I find it rather unbelievable that folks would excuse that conductor from reading the newspaper. Yes, people are nosy and yes no one is perfect, but still. His actions were inexcusable. Had either of these actions resulted in the loss of life or injuries, I doubt folks would be saying that wasn't a big deal. We all slack off from time to time at work, but some are worse than others AND they don't know when to slack off. In these two cases these guys should be on their game because you know you're in the public eye so why give anyone the opportunity to make an example of you??

I'm just saying. Employees are more likely to have a problem with camears if they know even if they do so much as pee in a bottle it's getting recorded, on the news, and results in them possibly getting fired.

Oh I know. I was just pointing out a fundamental flaw in society.

Each generation seems to become lazier and the standards are further dimmed down.

It's kind of funny to hear this from a 30 year old guy...

Yes, people are nosy and yes no one is perfect, but still. His actions were inexcusable. Had either of these actions resulted in the loss of life or injuries, I doubt folks would be saying that wasn't a big deal.

I don't disagree with you; all I tried to say was that some train operators who don't have anything to hide might want to work in privacy. I didn't see why that was wrong.

It's kind of funny to hear this from a 30 year old guy...

Well it's true of my generation as well... The sense of entitlement these days is amazing.

I don't disagree with you; all I tried to say was that some train operators who don't have anything to hide might want to work in privacy. I didn't see why that was wrong.

Well wanting to work in privacy is one thing and slacking off is another...

WTF cares, the conductor is generally "free" between stations.

Nope. Between stations according to "RULE" The conductor is supposed to be standing up looking out the cab window in view of the public in case something goes wrong or someone has a question. Also between stations C/R's are supposed to be looking at their door indication lights in case one section's doors suddenly open, conductor is supposed to warn the T/O to bring the train to a safe stop. And going between stations make sure the T/O is operating in a safe manner and dosen't take the "wrong line up"

Archived