Subway Conductor Appears to Doze off on Train, MTA Investigating

mark1447

That's not gonna happen,the state tried to ban it but they didn't even vote on it.

PATH has big military guys that have semi-automatic weapons. They also say "No pictures." Can't ban them my ass.

PATH has big military guys that have semi-automatic weapons. They also say "No pictures." Can't ban them my ass.

Ntm the military now has the authority to take anyone under their custody that they feel is a "terrorist" or "suspicious". They could send you out of the country if they wanted to. Your family doesn't even have to be notified...

Anyone wants to be a bad guy and think they can get away with it now? Have fun at Guatemala Bay :)

This is a side note but today's generation wonders why they can't find jobs.

The C/R in question looks like hes older than you...

Yes, people are nosy and yes no one is perfect, but still. His actions were inexcusable. Had either of these actions resulted in the loss of life or injuries, I doubt folks would be saying that wasn't a big deal.

IF hes was dozing off as you said before right?

Some of us just dont learn and it takes folks out here to remind us...

Ntm the military now has the authority to take anyone under their custody that they feel is a "terrorist" or "suspicious". They could send you out of the country if they wanted to. Your family doesn't even have to be notified...

Anyone wants to be a bad guy and think they can get away with it now? Have fun at Guatemala Bay :)

Guantanamo bay

PATH is between the state of NY and NJ. Thats a different story.

Guantanamo bay

On of the very few references to Guatemala and it's because someone confuses it with an American prison.

PATH is between the state of NY and NJ. Thats a different story.

Not to mention it's a much smaller system that also has its own policing force. It's much easier to enforce the photography rules there, although Constitutionally speaking, I doubt it's validity or legality.

This is a big deal the Conductor is in charge of the train. They are suppose to be alert look out for the safety of their customers. If the Train Operator fails to make a station stop they have to be alert to activate the emergency brake valve immediately. If a side door opens they have to be able to stop the train. Being a Conductor is more then just opening and closing doors.

Not to mention it's a much smaller system that also has its own policing force. It's much easier to enforce the photography rules there, although Constitutionally speaking, I doubt it's validity or legality.

A Small system with a HUGE population using it. But still fairly easy to go around and patrol, unlike NYCTA.

From what the C/R's on here have posted, it seems like listening to the radio, communicating with the T/O, etc, actually does not leave much time to doze off, even between stations. Now I'm sure that the C/R's here are probably more conscientious than some other C/R's out there, but I would guess that this is an aberration.

Dan05979 have you been a Conductor long? Are you a Conductor? You've never gotten tired and really wanted to put your head down for a minute? That guy's old, too. I know, screw him, right? How was his day? Was the road screwed up and his interval was turned back? Did he have to make an extra trip?

WHAT DID THE CONDUCTOR DO THAT WAS DANGEROUS TO HIMSELF OR ANYONE ELSE? Yes I KNOW the Conductor's responsibilities and not everyone is at 100% all of the time. Go ahead and watch us ALL 100% of the time... we're not at 100% all the time!!! That goes for ANYone, ANY job. Did he yell at anyone? Call them names? Close the doors on them? Start watching a DVD? Was he operating the train???

You let me know where you're going to be working and I bet I can find Rule Book discretions in your operation before one round trip is done. How many crews do the MANDATORY radio check before leaving EVERY terminal? DO YOU?

This is a big deal the Conductor is in charge of the train. They are suppose to be alert look out for the safety of their customers. If the Train Operator fails to make a station stop they have to be alert to activate the emergency brake valve immediately. If a side door opens they have to be able to stop the train. Being a Conductor is more then just opening and closing doors.

wow, if the conductor is such a big deal then the (MTA) needs to stop trying to take them off our trains

Dan05979 have you been a Conductor long? Are you a Conductor? You've never gotten tired and really wanted to put your head down for a minute? That guy's old, too. I know, screw him, right? How was his day? Was the road screwed up and his interval was turned back? Did he have to make an extra trip?

WHAT DID THE CONDUCTOR DO THAT WAS DANGEROUS TO HIMSELF OR ANYONE ELSE? Yes I KNOW the Conductor's responsibilities and not everyone is at 100% all of the time. Go ahead and watch us ALL 100% of the time... we're not at 100% all the time!!! That goes for ANYone, ANY job. Did he yell at anyone? Call them names? Close the doors on them? Start watching a DVD? Was he operating the train???

You let me know where you're going to be working and I bet I can find Rule Book discretions in your operation before one round trip is done. How many crews do the MANDATORY radio check before leaving EVERY terminal? DO YOU?

Holy crap.

So you're saying that having a bad day is a perfectly valid excuse for dozing off and not doing your job properly?

Guantanamo bay

Guatamala Bay... LMAO! :lol:

Holy crap.

So you're saying that having a bad day is a perfectly valid excuse for dozing off and not doing your job properly?

If they're doing that bad then take a sick day. Hell I'm sure they get more sick days than I get for the year. I get 5 sick days for the year (and haven't used one yet) and I worked almost an entire week under the weather with projects and such to finish. These guys are spoiled rotten and don't realize how good they got it. Like I said if the job is so terrible, quit and let someone else who wants the job do it.

I was just about to say that. Especially on the lines without NTTs like the (A).

And if you've scraped the wall on the (A) to the Roc–which, last I worked it, is everything after the 22:05 out of 207th Street–you understand how tiring it is. Most people talking crap have no damn idea what a single day is like even if nothing goes wrong. Maybe they should stick to admiring trains and not putting in their worthless 2¢ regarding the job.

I watched the video a couple of times. I'd say he was resting his eyes. The fact that he gets up long before the train comes to a stop tells me that he's cognizant–had the train rolled in and come to a stop with his face pressed against the window because he's passed out is another story.

I don't expect anyone who's never had to hold his head outside of a train through all weather conditions a couple of hundred times a day as part of his job description to understand. You know what that's like in Spring if you have allergies? Besides the steel dust all the pollen and crap from the city gets blown through the tunnels.

I know, screw him, maybe he should dance for you, too. Some of you comment like being a Conductor's barely a job. Your magnanimity is astounding.

And if you've scraped the wall on the (A) to the Roc–which, last I worked it, is everything after the 22:05 out of 207th Street–you understand how tiring it is. Most people talking crap have no damn idea what a single day is like even if nothing goes wrong. Maybe they should stick to admiring trains and not putting in their worthless 2¢ regarding the job.

I watched the video a couple of times. I'd say he was resting his eyes. The fact that he gets up long before the train comes to a stop tells me that he's cognizant–had the train rolled in and come to a stop with his face pressed against the window because he's passed out is another story.

I don't expect anyone who's never had to hold his head outside of a train through all weather conditions a couple of hundred times a day as part of his job description to understand. You know what that's like in Spring if you have allergies? Besides the steel dust all the pollen and crap from the city gets blown through the tunnels.

I know, screw him, maybe he should dance for you, too. Some of you comment like being a Conductor's barely a job. Your magnanimity is astounding.

Nobody's forcing you to do that though! You're well aware of what you're expected to do, and if you can't do it then by all means quit!

Wow, this is a controversial subject. This was definitely a case of somebody (the camera person) going overboard on account of an itty bitty instance of a tired conductor. I think everybody in this thread should cool it.

If it had not been for the loco engineer reading the newspaper, I am willing to bet that this conductor falling asleep would not have been such a big deal and perhaps the camera person never even would have recorded him. The camera person probably got it in his/her head to record the conductor mostly because of the loco engineer story.

Dan did a good job of clarifying and documenting all of the conductor's responsibilities, but FriedChikkin has a point. Humans will be humans, people get tired. Not much a body can do about that. Again my opinion is that if it had not been for the brazen loco engineer, nothing would have happened here with the conductor being overly scrutinized. The real kicker is that this was not even a case where the conductor stayed asleep until the train reached the next stop, which would have prevented him from opening the doors, delaying service. Then somebody might have gas to go on. But what this camera person did only deepens any existing divide between the workers and the riders for petty reasons. That was not right. A mistake is a mistake and service was not delayed, neither was anybody endangered here. It was not such a big deal.

What is meant by scraping the wall? Did FriedChikkin use that to describe trains that are express during daytime hours but "scrape the wall" during overnight hours since they run local and have to switch over to the wall-side track in order to do so? Can scraping the wall be used to refer to trains that normally run local since they are on the wall-side tracks at all times and thus scrape the wall in a figurative sense? Or just trains that have to switch from express to local since the slight turn that must be negotiated while taking the switch makes the train come close to "scraping the wall?"

Dave said it we gotta do our Jobs and yes we are human, so sometimes chit happens if we get busted we gotta pay the piper..

As for the "armchair" RTO folks here just remember what you are saying, if you ever come down here(doubt it) and you get caught up in something..

Let see how fast you sing to keep from getting days in the street....

On of the very few references to Guatemala and it's because someone confuses it with an American prison.

I was cracking up at both of these. :lol::lol::lol:

Damn. "You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day".

Good post, though.

Holy crap.

It's not a matter of having a bad day. He said that the reason he dozed off could've been work-related. Maybe they had him do an extra run or take a local run which takes longer and tires you out quicker when he's used to an express run.

In any case, there are plenty of people who come in, thinking they'll be able to make it through the day, and then they get tired or sick in the middle of the day. There were times when SI ferry had a run cancelled (and it's happened on the bus too) because somebody got sick because somebody thought they could make it through the day, as evidence of this.

There was a case of a conductor who got in trouble because he had to go to the bathroom in the middle of his run. Would it be better if he didn't have to do that? Of course, but what can you do? He made an effort to go at the end of the line, but sometimes, nature calls. It's the same case here, except involving sleep instead of ... well, you know.

Would you prefer that he be unable to focus at the station and potentially close the door on somebody or not stop the train if somebody falls, or cause a delay by not opening the door?

What is meant by scraping the wall? Did FriedChikkin use that to describe trains that are express during daytime hours but "scrape the wall" during overnight hours since they run local and have to switch over to the wall-side track in order to do so? Can scraping the wall be used to refer to trains that normally run local since they are on the wall-side tracks at all times and thus scrape the wall in a figurative sense? Or just trains that have to switch from express to local since the slight turn that must be negotiated while taking the switch makes the train come close to "scraping the wall?"

I think it's the former. I mean, on all-local lines, people talk about them "scraping the wall" as well.

"You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day".

Remind me to send you those thanks later. ;)

If they're doing that bad then take a sick day. Hell I'm sure they get more sick days than I get for the year. I get 5 sick days for the year (and haven't used one yet) and I worked almost an entire week under the weather with projects and such to finish. These guys are spoiled rotten and don't realize how good they got it. Like I said if the job is so terrible, quit and let someone else who wants the job do it.

Yeah, sick days that they don't want us using. Use more than 50% of it? Well, get ready to call TA every time you need to leave your house and have someone come down to see if you're home and really sick. Do they do that at your job? Do they bar you from promotions automatically if you've used too many sick days? If you getting only 5 sick days a year is so terrible, then quit then. Let someone else do your job.

As for the "armchair" RTO folks here just remember what you are saying, if you ever come down here(doubt it) and you get caught up in something..

Let see how fast you sing to keep from getting days in the street....

It's always a lot easier for them to comment but I'd like to see how well they'd fair down here.

Archived