Undercover cops patrolling Staten Island city buses for fare beaters

Via Garibaldi 8

Like I said, that was at your school. I'm telling you as a current student at my school that they don't give out letters. Whether they do it at other schools I don't know, but I doubt mine's the only school that doesn't give out letters.

In fact... I've never seen any H.S. kid w/one of those letters before... Only middle school & elementary school kids... My H.S. doesn't give them out either... They give out a lender metrocard (same capabilities as a regular student metrocard) until the new student metrocard arrives, that may be why there are no letters given in my school....

Where did I say anything about the S46 ? Please show me.

My commentary wasn't localized to any one route.... Don't mesh your debates with via, on me... Thanks.

I was using it as an example of a route where the farebeaters likely don't use the SIR. For that matter, I could've used the S54 in West Brighton, or the S57 in Port Richmond, or the S62 in Travis, or any other route that fits that description. But Mariners' Harbor is one of the furthest points on SI from the SIR, so I used that because it best proves my point.

In fact... I've never seen any H.S. kid w/one of those letters before... Only middle school & elementary school kids... My H.S. doesn't give them out either... They give out a lender metrocard (same capabilities as a regular student metrocard) until the new student metrocard arrives, that may be why there are no letters given in my school....

Wait, how does a lender MetroCard work? :wacko:

I was using it as an example of a route where the farebeaters likely don't use the SIR. For that matter, I could've used the S54 in West Brighton, or the S57 in Port Richmond, or the S62 in Travis, or any other route that fits that description. But Mariners' Harbor is one of the furthest points on SI from the SIR, so I used that because it best proves my point.

as for the ferry ?

You posted that as a retort to that reply of mine as if it invalidates what I said.....

You're grasping for straws by even bringing that up, where I made a very general statement....

Wait, how does a lender MetroCard work? :wacko:

Its a regular student metrocard that says "Lender" on it. You get the same 3 rides and all, but you must return it back to the school when you get your new student metrocard.. My school doesn't give out more than two metrocards per person per semester (probably b/c of the amt of student metrocards they receive) and i think they only have lender metrocards b/c at least 75% of the kids in the school (about 750 out of 1000) live more than 5 miles away with commutes that are from 1 hr 30 min to 2 hours and involve multiple transfers (Most live in Jamaica, South Ozone Park, Springfield Gardens, Cambria Heights, College Point and Rosedale; my school is in Astoria btw) and many cant afford to pay if they lose their metrocards... Idk if thats why there are lender cards but that seems to be a good reason....

Most of them don't ride it all the way out to St. George. Or else you'd be seeing a whole bunch of farebeaters who get on at the ferry terminal. Of course, there are some, but most of the farebeaters are traveling within SI.

I'm not disputing where most of the farebeaters emanate from, or what their commuting habits are... they're details I don't care about, quite honestly.... I was commenting on the mindstate - if the ferry is free & the SIR (outside of St. George) is free, then why would a farebeater be anymore apt to desist farebeating when it comes to public transportation by way of the bus (which is the mode of choice where the cops are patrolling for farebeaters, according to this story).... I didn't think that point was that complicated to comprehend....

You jumping in telling me about a situation where riders are less likely to use the SIR doesn't refute my main point.... It only thins the possible amt. of people that do farebeat on SI, using that method/mode..... I never questioned amount in that reply of mine in question......

Matter fact, I'll one up my own original point & say a potential farebeater don't even have to ride the ferry or the SIR to have the state of mind I'm attacking.....

I'm not disputing where most of the farebeaters emanate from, or what their commuting habits are... they're details I don't care about, quite honestly.... I was commenting on the mindstate - if the ferry is free & the SIR (outside of St. George) is free, then why would a farebeater be anymore apt to desist farebeating when it comes to public transportation by way of the bus (which is the mode of choice where the cops are patrolling for farebeaters, according to this story).... I didn't think that point was that complicated to comprehend....

You jumping in telling me about a situation where riders are less likely to use the SIR doesn't refute my main point.... It only thins the possible amt. of people that do farebeat on SI, using that method/mode..... I never questioned amount in that reply of mine in question......

Matter fact, I'll one up my own original point & say a potential farebeater don't even have to ride the ferry or the SIR to have the state of mind I'm attacking.....

Alright. I see what you're saying (especially with the last point).

Its a regular student metrocard that says "Lender" on it. You get the same 3 rides and all, but you must return it back to the school when you get your new student metrocard.. My school doesn't give out more than two metrocards per person per semester (probably b/c of the amt of student metrocards they receive) and i think they only have lender metrocards b/c at least 75% of the kids in the school (about 750 out of 1000) live more than 5 miles away with commutes that are from 1 hr 30 min to 2 hours and involve multiple transfers (Most live in Jamaica, South Ozone Park, Springfield Gardens, Cambria Heights, College Point and Rosedale; my school is in Astoria btw) and many cant afford to pay if they lose their metrocards... Idk if thats why there are lender cards but that seems to be a good reason....

I guess they figure that with the letter, there's the chance that the B/O or station agent won't let you on, and then you're stuck. With a MetroCard, there's nothing they could do. I mean, if the kid can't get on the bus/train to school (assuming it's a long trip like you said, and not something you could walk), they probably won't go.

I guess they figure that with the letter, there's the chance that the B/O or station agent won't let you on, and then you're stuck. With a MetroCard, there's nothing they could do. I mean, if the kid can't get on the bus/train to school (assuming it's a long trip like you said, and not something you could walk), they probably won't go.

That is a good thought actually... I have yet to see a bus driver NOT let someone w/a letter on the bus tho. The drivers on the Q85 are really cool and understanding (and most kids that get on the bus go really far) , but that may not be the case on other routes... I guess it really depends on the B/O

Now that that's settled...

As far as a lender metrocard is concerned, must be something new.... I remember (yes, I know... back when the dinosaurs roamed) you would have to show a letter (that came from the school IINM) to the b/o or s/a (well, token booth clerk, back then) when you didn't recieve your bus/train pass for w/e reason..... they eventually ceased having students do that & started issuing temp. passes to a select few (of which I think bias was involved, but that's neither here nor there).... Most kids didn't get those temp. passes when they didn't get their regular passes on time though; they'd have to come out of pocket.....

FWIW, you are having more kids nowadays traveling between boroughs to get to school.... It's amazing to me now how many kids 'round the way I know that go to HS's in Queens....

Now that that's settled...

As far as a lender metrocard is concerned, must be something new.... I remember (yes, I know... back when the dinosaurs roamed) you would have to show a letter (that came from the school IINM) to the b/o or s/a (well, token booth clerk, back then) when you didn't recieve your bus/train pass for w/e reason..... they eventually ceased having students do that & started issuing temp. passes to a select few (of which I think bias was involved, but that's neither here nor there).... Most kids didn't get those temp. passes when they didn't get their regular passes on time though; they'd have to come out of pocket.....

FWIW, you are having more kids nowadays traveling between boroughs to get to school.... It's amazing to me now how many kids 'round the way I know that go to HS's in Queens....

Indeed, many kids travel far to get to school... Mostly because they may live far from the school they wanted to go to when they applied in 8th Grade or they live far from the best schools.. I've noticed it a lot.. When I used to live In Manhattan, I lived near 6 different H.S.'s and the L Trains were packed going towards 1st Avenue in both directions w/school kids.. Now in Springfield Gardens, I live 2 stops away from Springfield Gardens H.S. campus, and Rosedale-bound Q85s in the AM are packed w/kids to go there nd not too many kids from springfield gardens actually go to the school either lol.. Normally teens don't go to their nearby H.S. (their zoned school) unless they have no other options

Indeed, many kids travel far to get to school... Mostly because they may live far from the school they wanted to go to when they applied in 8th Grade or they live far from the best schools.. I've noticed it a lot.. When I used to live In Manhattan, I lived near 6 different H.S.'s and the L Trains were packed going towards 1st Avenue in both directions w/school kids.. Now in Springfield Gardens, I live 2 stops away from Springfield Gardens H.S. campus, and Rosedale-bound Q85s in the AM are packed w/kids to go there nd not too many kids from springfield gardens actually go to the school either lol.. Normally teens don't go to their nearby H.S. (their zoned school) unless they have no other options

I notice that on Staten Island. You don't see a whole lot of people coming from the other boroughs (because there are only a few ways to get here and they're all a PITA), but you do have a lot of people who travel to schools on the other side of SI.

Most of the kids who go to my school are zoned for it, but then again, my school isn't considered a "desirable" school, so that's part of the reason why (and of course, by "undesirable", they mean there are a lot of Blacks and Hispanics, but of course, nobody'll come right out and say it). But even then, there are some people who take the S46 all the way from Tompkinsville (transferring from buses in Stapleton and Park Hill) to get here. I guess some people just like to travel for the hell of it. That's why when a lot of people go to college they say "I don't want to stay in NYC).

I notice that on Staten Island. You don't see a whole lot of people coming from the other boroughs (because there are only a few ways to get here and they're all a PITA), but you do have a lot of people who travel to schools on the other side of SI.

Most of the kids who go to my school are zoned for it, but then again, my school isn't considered a "desirable" school, so that's part of the reason why (and of course, by "undesirable", they mean there are a lot of Blacks and Hispanics, but of course, nobody'll come right out and say it). But even then, there are some people who take the S46 all the way from Tompkinsville (transferring from buses in Stapleton and Park Hill) to get here. I guess some people just like to travel for the hell of it. That's why when a lot of people go to college they say "I don't want to stay in NYC).

I like going to school far away personally, I love trains and buses, I love riding them and always have and its really relaxing to me taking the bus in the morning and just listening to music while it flies down the street (mostly on Merrick, lol) and its fun going home w/your friends on the train/bus and just hangin gout.. I can never imagine living by my school.. It may be the same for others lol.. But for college I wouldn't leave NYC unless I got a full scholarship somewhere out of state

I like going to school far away personally, I love trains and buses, I love riding them and always have and its really relaxing to me taking the bus in the morning and just listening to music while it flies down the street (mostly on Merrick, lol) and its fun going home w/your friends on the train/bus and just hangin gout.. I can never imagine living by my school.. It may be the same for others lol.. But for college I wouldn't leave NYC unless I got a full scholarship somewhere out of state

same here, I like to take a multitude of trains & buses....

I was NOT going to Erasmus, Tilden, or Wingate (3 HS of which I could've walked to).... also 3 of the worst HS in the borough at the time.....

As for college, I didn't want to go away, due to the fact that I would've have to share a room with some wackjob that lives in filth & uses the excuse of a strenuous college life as to why he can't pick up after himself..... That, and I simply refuse to deal with irresponsible people....

I was NOT going to Erasmus, Tilden, or Wingate (3 HS of which I could've walked to).... also 3 of the worst HS in the borough at the time.....

As for college, I didn't want to go away, due to the fact that I would've have to share a room with some wackjob that lives in filth & uses the excuse of a strenuous college life as to why he can't pick up after himself..... That, and I simply refuse to deal with irresponsible people....

Glad we see eye to eye lol... I used to live by Washington Irving H.S. and now I live near the Springfield Gardens campus (which I could've easily transferred too) which are not so good schools as well lol , and I would hate living w/a roomate ; I hate relying on ppl and I'm not the type to live w/someone like that either, especially someone I don't know....

Well, the thing is that when you're in a hurry, nothing sucks more than just missing the bus and having to wait another 10-15 minutes, or having to fight to fit on the bus when it comes because you're running late. Plus, if you live nearby, you get to do things like go home when you have breaks (I know a girl who lives right across the street, so if there's substitute teachers for 2 periods in a row or something like that, she just goes home, hangs out for a little while, and then goes back to school).

But yeah, overall, I think the way I have it now is pretty good: A 10-15 minute bus ride and 10-15 minutes of walking. I definitely wouldn't want to travel across the city to get to school. I had to do it for Cooper Union over the summer and I hated it. (I mean, if I have the whole day, then of course I'd like to spend time riding buses and trains, but if I have to deal with a day of school, then no dice).

Well, the thing is that when you're in a hurry, nothing sucks more than just missing the bus and having to wait another 10-15 minutes, or having to fight to fit on the bus when it comes because you're running late. Plus, if you live nearby, you get to do things like go home when you have breaks (I know a girl who lives right across the street, so if there's substitute teachers for 2 periods in a row or something like that, she just goes home, hangs out for a little while, and then goes back to school).

But yeah, overall, I think the way I have it now is pretty good: A 10-15 minute bus ride and 10-15 minutes of walking. I definitely wouldn't want to travel across the city to get to school. I had to do it for Cooper Union over the summer and I hated it. (I mean, if I have the whole day, then of course I'd like to spend time riding buses and trains, but if I have to deal with a day of school, then no dice).

Its really about personal preference if you think about it... I'm never in a hurry, I always leave early (I leave my house at 5:55 and get to school between 7:20 and 7:30, while class doesn't start till 8:15 so I have leeway).. I don't mind if I missed a Q85, I just have to wait 6 minutes, which isn't too bad... My school doesn't have breaks (but we get out kinda early so its okay), the only thing that sucks about living far away is if I'm really tired or sick (barely happens) and I just wanna go home nd it takes long... Your commute isn't very bad... I spend like 7 minutes walking to the Q85, spend 28-30 mins to get to Jamaica, 20 on the (E), then walk through Court Square to the (7), 2 min ride on the (7), then a 9min ride on the (N) or (Q) and finally a 10 min walk to school. I don't mind walking either, its good for you lol :)

Its really about personal preference if you think about it... I'm never in a hurry, I always leave early (I leave my house at 5:55 and get to school between 7:20 and 7:30, while class doesn't start till 8:15 so I have leeway).. I don't mind if I missed a Q85, I just have to wait 6 minutes, which isn't too bad... My school doesn't have breaks (but we get out kinda early so its okay), the only thing that sucks about living far away is if I'm really tired or sick (barely happens) and I just wanna go home nd it takes long... Your commute isn't very bad... I spend like 7 minutes walking to the Q85, spend 28-30 mins to get to Jamaica, 20 on the (E), then walk through Court Square to the (7), 2 min ride on the (7), then a 9min ride on the (N) or (Q) and finally a 10 min walk to school. I don't mind walking either, its good for you lol :)

Jesus Christ... Couldn't you just take the LIRR so far in?? I mean making that many transfers must mean that you have to pay an additional fare somewhere or farebeat no?? :ph34r:

LOL... Well there is a way around the whole roommate thing... Pay for a double as a single, which is what I did a few semesters. My first semester I had my room to myself, but then the second semester I had a roomate that was hardly there (Italian guy), so it was like having a single with an occasional visitor since he liked hanging out with his other guido buddies. lol Third semester I wasn't too lucky... I had a slob/hick move in... Did nothing but hang out and smoke weed all day. I went down to campus life and demanded a single room ASAP and as soon as one became available I paid the $500.00 for the double and moved the hell out. Funny thing was he actually helped me move some of my things and then dropped out after that semester. After that semester I shared a room with a Dominican guy who was okay and then for the last 3 semesters I had a single, but yeah sharing a room if the person is a slob can be a real PITA. In Italy though there were students sharing an apartment (4 & 5 people). I wanted no part of that... I paid a ton for my place but it was great to have the entire place to myself.

Jesus Christ... Couldn't you just take the LIRR so far in?? I mean making that many transfers must mean that you have to pay an additional fare somewhere or farebeat no?? :ph34r:

Nope, not at all...

I use one ride on the Q85, then I use the transfer on the (E)

As you may know, recently the (E)(G)(M) were connected w/the (7) at court square. Before the connection was built, one had to exit the station, and reenter as a transfer to go between them. I just walk through the mezzanine and up an escalator now lol. The (7) and the (N)(Q) are across the platform from each other at Queensboro Plaza.. I do all that on one ride and a transfer :D and the LIRR isn't practical for me, I'm only a kid and I wouldn't want to pay for it every day lol and I still would have to transfer to the (7) at Woodside anyways. (The Laurelton station is 7 blocks from my house)

Holy crap! I'm not even up at 5:55 and you're already out the door. :o My school starts at 8:00, so I wake up around 7:00, leave home at about 7:35, get a 10 minute bus ride, and then a 10 minute walk (I used to transfer to the S46, but then I gave up and started walking). Of course, if I leave late, then the clock is ticking and I have to run to the bus, hope that if I missed the bus that another one will be there shortly, and then run to school at the other end. Now, I have a medical condition so I can't run the way I used to, so I just have to try harder to leave at 7:35.

And yeah, it's definitely an advantage when you're tired or sick and just want to get home.

LOL... Well there is a way around the whole roommate thing... Pay for a double as a single, which is what I did a few semesters.

Blaspemy! I would never pay that extra money. ;) That's why I'm probably going to stay in NYC, so I could live at home and maybe commute (I'm considering going to CSI because it's about a 20 minute walk to the entrance, but I might possibly get a job in Queens while I'm going to college, so since I'd probably have to buy an Express Bus Plus MetroCard anyway, I might go to Cooper Union or maybe Columbia if I can get a scholarship there). I mean, it's possible to get a scholarship that also covers room & board, especially with my grades (I don't think I'll have a problem getting the classes covered), so I guess we'll see what happens. If I don't get a job, I'll try to cram as many classes into my schedule as possible and get out quickly so I can start working.

Holy crap! I'm not even up at 5:55 and you're already out the door. :o My school starts at 8:00, so I wake up around 7:00, leave home at about 7:35, get a 10 minute bus ride, and then a 10 minute walk (I used to transfer to the S46, but then I gave up and started walking). Of course, if I leave late, then the clock is ticking and I have to run to the bus, hope that if I missed the bus that another one will be there shortly, and then run to school at the other end. Now, I have a medical condition so I can't run the way I used to, so I just have to try harder to leave at 7:35.

And yeah, it's definitely an advantage when you're tired or sick and just want to get home.

I only leave early because I want to get to school early and relax w/my friends. I can leave at 6:30 the latest, but also my route can be delay prone (whether its the bus, the 7 train or the N/Q trains) so its kinda necessary for me.. I can't run either, when I broke my wrist, I hurt my leg and it feels like something is pulling it when I run, then I get a charley horse, idk how that happened tbh. It only sucks if the Q85 is early (which it is a lot), I end up limp running across N Conduit Avenue just to catch the bus with the light about to change and 10 cars waiting behind me lol

Wow, I commute from Flatbush to Harlem every day, but MTAFanBoy512 your commute makes mine look a short stroll.

You don't like transferring at Roosevelt Av? Of course, I dunno how much time that would save over Court Square.

Lol Flatbush to Harlem seems long too.. How many trains do you take?

And I don't transfer at Roosevelt, because it takes longer than Court Square, the (7) is packed heading to Queensboro from there, while its empty coming from Court Square and the (7) coming from 74th-Roosevelt is unreliable and something always happens from there (a delay, etc..) I feel better going to court square as if there is a delay on the (7), at least I can take the Q69 bus straight to school or walk to Queensboro from there.

I see. That makes sense. My commute is long, but it's not as long as it seems. I only take two trains, and I usually go one of three ways, the (2) to the (1), the (5) to the (A) or to the (5) to the (D). They're all pretty much around 65 minutes (longer in the afternoon), but the (5) to the (D) is probably the fastest by a slight margin, depending on how long I have to wait at Atlantic. If I get into a special program next year at school, I'll be going to Mt. Sinai Hospital (5th Avenue and 100th St) in the morning so my commute will be a little shorter, and then I'll have to take the bus to school from the hopsital.

I see. That makes sense. My commute is long, but it's not as long as it seems. I only take two trains, and I usually go one of three ways, the (2) to the (1), the (5) to the (A) or to the (5) to the (D). They're all pretty much around 65 minutes (longer in the afternoon), but the (5) to the (D) is probably the fastest by a slight margin, depending on how long I have to wait at Atlantic. If I get into a special program next year at school, I'll be going to Mt. Sinai Hospital (5th Avenue and 100th St) in the morning so my commute will be a little shorter, and then I'll have to take the bus to school from the hopsital.

My stepfather's sister works at Mt. Sinai Hospital! I want to do a special medical internship or program at a hospital before I graduate.. And your commute seems long but 65 minutes isn't bad.. And at least you don't have to go through Jamaica, which is always packed.. I think the only reason my commute is long is because of the bus and it is an indirect route in general... My commute on average is 105 minutes (longer in the afternoon, where it would take 120 mins)

I know. It must suck having to go through Jamaica just to go anywhere. My commute is long, but it's straightforward. I think I can get into the Mt. Sinai program, there aren't that many spots but even less people applied than there are spots available. Traveling between school and the hospital and having to make up gym hours outside school for the 1st time (because kids in this program don't take gym, it's a new policy) is a big turn-off. My terribad Trigonometry grade this semester is the only thing holding me back, but I don't know if that's being considered. It's a long story.

I love how on-topic we are...

Archived