Undercover cops patrolling Staten Island city buses for fare beaters

Via Garibaldi 8

1)The reason is partially because of the SI politicians but also D.A. Dan Donovan. He decided to take police resources and put them undercover on several routes. It's clear that you didn't read the article. Here's a quote from him from the article:

"When Rudy Giuliani was mayor and they started to go after 'turnstile jumpers' on the subway, they discovered that the scofflaws they stopped often had open warrants or criminal records," Donovan said. "We are finding the same circumstances exist when police arrest fare beaters on Staten Island buses. It's Broken Windows Theory 101: If you fix the problems when they are small, or show little tolerance for low-level, quality-of-life crimes, you will prevent or solve the more serious crimes."

Also, some politicians may be taking funds to put to the program, so that's another reason as well. The other boroughs will have it too eventually, as noted in the two links I posted.

2) The other issue, is that there has been an increase in thefts particularly of electronic goods on Staten Island buses and the thinking is that a lot of the thefts come from farebeaters.

3) I'm sorry, but coming from Brooklyn, Staten Island has to be the borough with the highest amount of farebeaters if not a close second to the Bronx. You have no idea how bold these folks are out on Staten Island. Just walk on the bus and take a seat. No begging or pleading or excuses. They really think they're entitled to a free ride. Utterly disgusting. <_< And yes this will be expanded citywide, per the links that I posted.

4) Forget about the newspaper. Even Allen Cappelli believes it. This is a quote from him from the NY1 link I posted earlier:

"I estimate it to be in the tens of millions if not the hundreds of millions of dollars," said MTA board member Allen Cappelli. "It's a serious amount of money that has caused service in the region and the city to be cut."

Link: http://www.ny1.com/c...us-fare-jumpers

So that right there shows that farebeating is costing the (MTA) and it is hurting riders by having their service cut. He is one board member that actually has a clue about what is going on and he should especially should know seeing that he uses the buses on Staten Island and lives on the island. He would have to be dumb blind and stupid not to know what is going on and the (MTA) knows it too. They have just been turning a blind eye to it for years. You can be denial if you want but it is pretty evident what is happening.

5) You need to stop with this nonsense about so many farebeaters being high school kids because there are plenty of adults AND young adults beating the fare. Aside from that the facts are there. I quote Dan Donovan:

"When Rudy Giuliani was mayor and they started to go after 'turnstile jumpers' on the subway, they discovered that the scofflaws they stopped often had open warrants or criminal records," Donovan said. "We are finding the same circumstances exist when police arrest fare beaters on Staten Island buses."

Yet again you are in denial.

The other issue is these kids not dipping. I would have the cops yank them off of the bus and fine them because too many of them are not dipping their cards and don't think that they won't go after them because the cops most certainly will. When Giuliani was in office, they went after all farebeaters, regardless of whether they were schoolkids or not. They are given Metrocards for a reason.... To USE them... I want a crackdown on that too and I plan on writing Dan Donovan about that as well. The politicians on Staten Island are acting because folks have brought it to their attention that they are outraged about it and rightfully so.

6) The S40 has been constantly noted as being one of the worst on the island and the source is the B/Os. They also mention the S46 as well and the S48. Are you going to sit here and say that you know better than they do when they drive the buses all day long?? If so then that is a pretty arrogant comment to make.

1) Don't give me that "Oh, you didn't read it" crap. I read it and my comment had nothing to do with anything the DA said.

2) Yeah, and what do you do in the case that it's a bunch of them coming on at once? I remember a friend of mine got robbed and there were like 7 or 8 people involved (and think they got on the bus for the sole purpose of robbing because they got off a few stops later once they had what they wanted).

My point is that if somebody has that thugged-out look about them or if they have an attitude or whatever, then they should be taken off. But if they look harmless and they thank the driver for letting them ride, then I don't see a problem with it. All I'm saying is that I hope they don't waste time with the latter when there's a ton of the former available to choose from.

3) Yeah, and in Brooklyn, they come in through the back door.

4) I'm not denying that it's in the "tens of millions of dollars" (though I doubt it's in the "hundreds of million"). I'm just saying that the $328 million is a made-up figure.

And yeah, I doubt that he's a regular user of the SI buses. You said yourself "Oh, people in that area don't want to be bothered with that local bus crap" (referring to S44 ridership along Henderson Avenue).

5) Yeah, and there are plenty of them who are schoolkids. And referring specifically to the schoolkids, I doubt they are all criminals.

But I never said that they shouldn't be dipping. I just said that it won't make a difference. I dip in my Student MetroCard but it doesn't make a difference because I use the transfers to complete all my trips so 3 rides is enough. And aside from that, there are some who only get a 1/2 fare MetroCard. So they'll end up walking and the MTA won't get the money anyway.

6) When did I deny anything about the S46? And Cait Sith said that the S48 doesn't get a whole lot of farebeaters, and outside of a few times of day, I think that's true. And for the S40, obviously there are some, but it's not the same percentage as the S46.

What attitude?? I was simply stating the facts, no attitude attached nor my opinion. The NY1 video clip clearly shows the black lady talking about how she doesn't feel like paying. You don't like my attitude because the individuals in my example happen to be black? Too bad. I've seen black farebeaters, white ones and Latino ones, but I will say that majority of the ones that I see are black. Not my fault if they happen to be the majority. The truth hurts I guess, but I just state things the way that they are and let the chips fall where they may. I mean hey, I'm mixed and I don't think I should pay $7.50 for MetroNorth because IMO it is overpriced considering that often times I have to stand from Spuyten Duyvil to Grand Central, plus I pay $2.25 for the Hudson Rail Link (which I sometimes don't get a seat on either) when I use it to get to the Spuyten Duyvil station, but I pay it because it isn't free and that is $9.75 one way and these folks complain abou $2.25. Give me a break.

You stated yourself that you dip in an Express Bus Plus MetroCard on the Hudson Rail Link, and aside from that, you always have the option of the subway or the express bus, so you're not forced to pay $7.50 either.

What attitude?? I was simply stating the facts, no attitude attached nor my opinion. The NY1 video clip clearly shows the black lady talking about how she doesn't feel like paying. You don't like my attitude because the individuals in my example happen to be black? Too bad. I've seen black farebeaters, white ones and Latino ones, but I will say that majority of the ones that I see are black. Not my fault if they happen to be the majority. The truth hurts I guess, but I just state things the way that they are and let the chips fall where they may. I mean hey, I'm mixed and I don't think I should pay $7.50 for MetroNorth because IMO it is overpriced considering that often times I have to stand from Spuyten Duyvil to Grand Central, plus I pay $2.25 for the Hudson Rail Link (which I sometimes don't get a seat on either) when I use it to get to the Spuyten Duyvil station, but I pay it because it isn't free and that is $9.75 one way and these folks complain abou $2.25. Give me a break.

For one thing, you're not stating the facts. You're stating your opinion, which is that people think they're entitled to free rides. That's what this argument started about.

Secondly, maybe most farebeaters are black, I don't know. But it's the fact that you choose to mention it each time (and it's not just about farebeaters, it's whenever anybody bothers you, you make sure to say what race they are) that makes it seem like race is really important to you. You don't just randomly say, "I saw a black guy yesterday doing x, y, z..." without making it seem like there's a reason why you bothered to mention the person's race. I'm white, and if someone saw me farebeat (I don't do it; this is a hypothetical scenario), I wouldn't like it if the guy said, "I just saw a white person jump the turnstile." It's pretty clear what I'm trying to say here.

For one thing, you're not stating the facts. You're stating your opinion, which is that people think they're entitled to free rides. That's what this argument started about.

Secondly, maybe most farebeaters are black, I don't know. But it's the fact that you choose to mention it each time (and it's not just about farebeaters, it's whenever anybody bothers you, you make sure to say what race they are) that makes it seem like race is really important to you. You don't just randomly say, "I saw a black guy yesterday doing x, y, z..." without making it seem like there's a reason why you bothered to mention the person's race. I'm white, and if someone saw me farebeat (I don't do it; this is a hypothetical scenario), I wouldn't like it if the guy said, "I just saw a white person jump the turnstile." It's pretty clear what I'm trying to say here.

No, the fact was when I talked about the two black individuals that were farebeating, that was the fact. I'm sorry but that's how I am and I am not changing for anyone. My posts are always like that and have been since I started posting here over a year ago and I'm not going to start posting any differently because the subject happens to be about farebeating (a negative topic). My posts are descriptive and yes they include the person's race (regardless of what their race is) and they will remain that way especially since there is nothing offensive or vulgar about them. Hell I even included my racial background when discussing the topic so please.

Well I'm sorry but that's how I am and I am not changing for anyone. My posts are always like that and I'm not going to start posting any differently because the subject happens to be about farebeating (a negative topic).

Why are you like that? It doesn't make any sense to randomly say that someone is a black guy or a white guy or whatever, when the issue that you're talking about has nothing to do with race. I don't know how you can simply be "stating the facts"; when a fact doesn't make sense (saying the person's race), there's usually a reason why you'd be saying it.

Yes, it's just "a fact" that the person was black, but it requires a certain perspective on your part to bother to include the fact in your description of the person.

Why are you like that? It doesn't make any sense to randomly say that someone is a black guy or a white guy or whatever, when the issue that you're talking about has nothing to do with race. I don't know how you can simply be "stating the facts"; when a fact doesn't make sense (saying the person's race), there's usually a reason why you'd be saying it.

Yes, it's just "a fact" that the person was black, but it requires a certain perspective on your part to bother to include the fact in your description of the person.

Why are people the way they are? That's just how I am. It has to do with me as a person, my own cultural background and experiences living in Europe. In Europe it is common to mention someone's ethnicity or race and it is done regularly and no one even thinks twice about it. Here in the U.S. a big to do is made of it when it really isn't a big deal. The difference in Europe is that you have many countries that border each other and here that is less of an issue, so there is a need to be more detailed with ethnicity and race. Quite frankly I don't even think about it when I do it. It is just a habit as I do it regardless of whether the topic is good or bad and regardless of race or ethnicity. Now let's continue with the discussion at hand. <_<

Why are people the way they are? That's just how I am. It has to do with me as a person, my own cultural background and experiences living in Europe. In Europe it is common to mention someone's ethnicity or race and it is done regularly and no one even thinks twice about it. Here in the U.S. a big to do is made of it when it really isn't a big deal.

I didn't know that. In Europe, is it actually common for people to be referred to by race as a matter of course?

Yet again I add, it takes over a month to replace student metrocards.

And if you expect me to walk five miles to get to school, well then your'e talking out of your ass.

For all you know half of them are waiting on replacement cards.

And if you expect me to walk five miles to get to school, well then your'e talking out of your ass.

TBH, it only takes a couple of days at my school, but I have heard of people waiting for a few weeks to get their Student MetroCard replaced (at other schools). In any case, there are those who barely make the cutoff for receiving a free Student MetroCard (I know a couple of kids who get a 1/2 fare MetroCard and the person across the street gets a full fare MetroCard, and some B/Os perfer if you don't dip anything at all, instead of dipping it in and not putting in the $1.10)

As so what if they are? I've used student Metrocards as well and I could've sworn that they made accommodations when there were problems with the Metrocards. It wasn't that long ago that I was in high school. You should be thankful that you even get them because for a while I only had a 1/2 fare. Furthermore, Student Metrocards are not a right. Therefore they should be used accordingly and NOT abused.

1) Don't give me that "Oh, you didn't read it" crap. I read it and my comment had nothing to do with anything the DA said.

Clearly it didn't... <_<

2) Yeah, and what do you do in the case that it's a bunch of them coming on at once? I remember a friend of mine got robbed and there were like 7 or 8 people involved (and think they got on the bus for the sole purpose of robbing because they got off a few stops later once they had what they wanted).

My point is that if somebody has that thugged-out look about them or if they have an attitude or whatever, then they should be taken off. But if they look harmless and they thank the driver for letting them ride, then I don't see a problem with it. All I'm saying is that I hope they don't waste time with the latter when there's a ton of the former available to choose from.

LOL... You just don't get it... Unless their Metrocard has a problem they should be paying, period. No ifs ands or buts.

3) Yeah, and in Brooklyn, they come in through the back door.

I never denied that Brooklyn doesn't have farebeaters. I just find the ones to Staten Island to be the boldest.

4) I'm not denying that it's in the "tens of millions of dollars" (though I doubt it's in the "hundreds of million"). I'm just saying that the $328 million is a made-up figure.

Well if you doubt that it's in the hundreds of millions, it doesn't really matter if $328 million is spot on or not. It's obvious that it is an estimate. The real issue here is that the (MTA) doesn't even know, but like I said a guy like Allen Cappelli would have an idea, so even if it isn't $328 million and instead maybe it is $100 or $200 million, it is still a large sum of money that could be used to restore service cuts. The fact is that farebeaters do indeed rob customers of service, as noted by Allen Cappelli because the rampid farebeating has contributed to some of the cuts due to lost revenue.

And yeah, I doubt that he's a regular user of the SI buses. You said yourself "Oh, people in that area don't want to be bothered with that local bus crap" (referring to S44 ridership along Henderson Avenue).

Yeah well he has stated that he uses the buses regularly on Staten Island. If he didn't he wouldn't have a clue about routes like the S79 for example, which he noted has seen significant growth and that midday service should not have been cut. Face it, the guy uses the buses and knows what he's talking about. He's been living on Staten Island longer than the two of us have so he knows what he is talking about.

5) Yeah, and there are plenty of them who are schoolkids. And referring specifically to the schoolkids, I doubt they are all criminals.

No one said all. You said all... <_< The facts are the facts whether you want to accept them or not.

But I never said that they shouldn't be dipping. I just said that it won't make a difference. I dip in my Student MetroCard but it doesn't make a difference because I use the transfers to complete all my trips so 3 rides is enough. And aside from that, there are some who only get a 1/2 fare MetroCard. So they'll end up walking and the MTA won't get the money anyway.

It costs money for the (MTA) to provide and produce those Student Metrocards, so quite frankly if they didn't supply them it would be cheaper for them anyway even if said student walked, so there's your "cost analysis" right back at you.

6) When did I deny anything about the S46? And Cait Sith said that the S48 doesn't get a whole lot of farebeaters, and outside of a few times of day, I think that's true. And for the S40, obviously there are some, but it's not the same percentage as the S46.

What you're saying is that you know which routes has higher amounts of farebeating than the actual B/Os that drive along the route. If anyone knows, they would know the best, that's the point, so you can continue to make your "doubts" as usual.

You stated yourself that you dip in an Express Bus Plus MetroCard on the Hudson Rail Link, and aside from that, you always have the option of the subway or the express bus, so you're not forced to pay $7.50 either.

Uh not always... Occasionally I do use a Pay-Per-Ride when I want to start my Express Bus Plus MetroCard on another day. Furthermore, I am forced to pay $7.50 if I want a really quick and punctual commute because MetroNorth is faster than the Express Bus and extremely punctual, even if only by 5-10 minutes and certainly much quicker than taking the local bus to the (1) train, which is extremely unreliable, but I would NEVER do that anyway.

1) As so what if they are? I've used student Metrocards as well and I could've sworn that they made accommodations when there were problems with the Metrocards. It wasn't that long ago that I was in high school. You should be thankful that you even get them because for a while I only had a 1/2 fare. Furthermore, Student Metrocards are not a right. Therefore they should be used accordingly and NOT abused.

2) Clearly it didn't... <_<

3) LOL... You just don't get it... Unless their Metrocard has a problem they should be paying, period. No ifs ands or buts.

4) Well if you doubt that it's in the hundreds of millions, it doesn't really matter if $328 million is spot on or not. It's obvious that it is an estimate. The real issue here is that the (MTA) doesn't even know, but like I said a guy like Allen Cappelli would have an idea, so even if it isn't $328 million and instead maybe it is $100 or $200 million, it is still a large sum of money that could be used to restore service cuts. The fact is that farebeaters do indeed rob customers of service, as noted by Allen Cappelli because the rampid farebeating has contributed to some of the cuts due to lost revenue.

5) It costs money for the (MTA) to provide and produce those Student Metrocards, so quite frankly if they didn't supply them it would be cheaper for them anyway even if said student walked, so there's your "cost analysis" right back at you.

6) What you're saying is that you know which routes has higher amounts of farebeating than the actual B/Os that drive along the route. If anyone knows, they would know the best, that's the point, so you can continue to make your "doubts" as usual.

7) Uh not always... Occasionally I do use a Pay-Per-Ride when I want to start my Express Bus Plus MetroCard on another day. Furthermore, I am forced to pay $7.50 if I want a really quick and punctual commute because MetroNorth is faster than the Express Bus and extremely punctual, even if only by 5-10 minutes and certainly much quicker than taking the local bus to the (1) train, which is extremely unreliable, but I would NEVER do that anyway.

1) Yeah, maybe when you went to school back when the dinosaurs still roamed the Earth. :P Seriously, I have yet to see them make accomodations when you didn't have a MetroCard.

2) Exactly. It didn't. I said "I guess the SI politicians were also the most vocal, so that's why they were focused on." That has nothing to do with what the DA said. I didn't say anything about whether the DA was right or wrong or anything.

3) Like I said, they're not going to catch all the farebeaters anyway. I know everybody should be paying and yadda yadda yadda, but wouldn't you prefer that the stubborn, obnoxious ones be the first to be caught?

4) Yeah, but there's a big difference between $100 million and $328 million.

5) First of all, it costs like 7 cents to produce a MetroCard and they give them out every 6 months. That's a whopping 14 cents a year. (Not even enough for 2 bowls of oatmeal. ;) )

Second of all, even if the student doesn't use it, they still give it to them. I know somebody who gets driven everywhere. I don't even know if he's ever even taken a bus. And yet he still gets a Student MetroCard (I'm not saying he shouldn't, but the point is that they're spending the money anyway)

6) You're telling me the S46 doesn't have the most farebeaters? After you specifically mentioned it yourself? And the drivers have mentioned it as well, so I don't know what you're talking about.

7) Good, then don't. But then don't mention how you're forced to pay $9.75.

*southern accent*

Well, it's 'bout time they did that! With all those hanky-panky stories VG8 telling 'bout dem farebeaters!

LOL.

There should be a thing out there saying kids with student Metrocards should carry $2.25 in quarters or have a regular Metrocard. Therefore, there won't be anymore of this "Oh, m************g s***t I don't have anymore ride credits, oh well I'll just sneak on who cares about the (MTA) losing $2.25" stuff. I say it's better to explain the situation to the B/O and get a free ride under jurisdiction of the bus operator than risk sneaking aboard.

1) Yeah, maybe when you went to school back when the dinosaurs still roamed the Earth. :P Seriously, I have yet to see them make accomodations when you didn't have a MetroCard.

Very funny... I recall them handing out letters or something so that students could ride until they Metrocards arrived.

2) Exactly. It didn't. I said "I guess the SI politicians were also the most vocal, so that's why they were focused on." That has nothing to do with what the DA said. I didn't say anything about whether the DA was right or wrong or anything.

And I'm telling you that your hypothesis isn't necessary correct and provided the reasons why. Case closed.

3) Like I said, they're not going to catch all the farebeaters anyway. I know everybody should be paying and yadda yadda yadda, but wouldn't you prefer that the stubborn, obnoxious ones be the first to be caught?

Yeah everybody should be paying but you keep making excuses to support farebeating... Nothing is perfect and that isn't the point. The point of the program isn't just to get all of the farebeaters. This is also a quality of life issue. Getting more of the farebeaters off of the bus could lead to the (MTA) recouping more revenues which could help restore some of the lost cuts. It will also make the buses safer because these cops can also arrest folks for fights and so on, which do occur on trippers and such.

4) Yeah, but there's a big difference between $100 million and $328 million.

The point is that even if it is $100 million dollars that is money that could be used to improve service.

5) First of all, it costs like 7 cents to produce a MetroCard and they give them out every 6 months. That's a whopping 14 cents a year. (Not even enough for 2 bowls of oatmeal. ;) )

First of all, regardless of how much it costs, it is still coming out of the (MTA)'s pocket and tax payers pockets and it could be used for something else. Production of them may not cost much, but it certainly costs the (MTA) money to provide you with your 3 rides a day during the week which you think should be unlimited. Spoiled brat says what? <_<

Second of all, even if the student doesn't use it, they still give it to them. I know somebody who gets driven everywhere. I don't even know if he's ever even taken a bus. And yet he still gets a Student MetroCard (I'm not saying he shouldn't, but the point is that they're spending the money anyway)

Yes and that's exactly why that whole argument about so many students being so dependent on them is a bunch of crappola and why many folks wanted them taken away.

6) You're telling me the S46 doesn't have the most farebeaters? After you specifically mentioned it yourself? And the drivers have mentioned it as well, so I don't know what you're talking about.

No, what I'm telling you is that you can't possibly know which routes has more farebeaters on it than the actual B/Os that drive the routes themselves.

7) Good, then don't. But then don't mention how you're forced to pay $9.75.

No, I will mention it because the point is whether or not I agree with the cost of it, if I want to use it, I MUST pay the fare or I could be a moron and risk getting arrested. <_<

I'm sorry, but coming from Brooklyn, Staten Island has to be the borough with the highest amount of farebeaters if not a close second to the Bronx.

This is a case of comparing shear numbers to (higher) percentages.....

No question in my mind that SI has the highest percentage of riders farebeating..... as far as what borough has the most farebeaters, I would think it's either Bk or Bx based on population density (of those utilizing mass transit, that is)....

Neither of which is a good thing, obviously.....

I don't think it's that they feel "entitled" to a free ride; I think they're just selfish idiots who don't care about the system and know they can get away with stealing.

Oh it's entitlement alright - They're so used to boarding freely on the SIR & on the ferry that they think the buses are free also..... The feeling is, all forms of transportation are deemed as being free.....

Oh it's entitlement alright - They're so used to boarding freely on the SIR & on the ferry that they think the buses are free also..... The feeling is, all forms of transportation are deemed as being free.....

Well said, friend.

That's interesting. I never thought of that before. I guess it's a kind of subconscious feeling of entitlement behind the "careless" farebeaters. I think it's often that people don't recognize the power of the fare. The subways, SIR, ferry and buses have been running their entire lives, and so they assume that they just automatically run. Mass transit feels like such a concrete thing that people don't realize that it won't last long if nobody pays for it. Yes, there are actually people and management behind the system that they think is just "there".

Imagine if you were a farebeater. Think that you believed that you could go ahead and think that mass transit is free. But if you get caught by the security camera, bus operator, or police, learn you lesson. You deserved it. Mass transit feels to many people as a thing that is never going to be taken away, like a fixed tripper on the subway. But the thing is, the money has to be paid. Where does the money for station renovation come from? Fares. Maintence? Fares. New cars/buses? Some from fares. Now imagine a crappy subway/bus system where the vehicle you are on is old and dirty, you have a cranky operator, and the quality of service is horrible. Think about if you were the one who sparked the farebeater revolution that caused all that bad service.

It takes one day at my school...we have a lot of them nd my school only has like 1000 ppl so its not very big

Very funny... I recall them handing out letters or something so that students could ride until they Metrocards arrived.

Yes... I've seen many elementary and middle school kids on the Q85 with those white letters recently... Seems that many kids lose their metrocards during the end part of the school year nd it makes more sense for them to get the letter than try to give them a metrocard (if there's a shortage) since there is only like a week of school left....

Yes... I've seen many elementary and middle school kids on the Q85 with those white letters recently... Seems that many kids lose their metrocards during the end part of the school year nd it makes more sense for them to get the letter than try to give them a metrocard (if there's a shortage) since there is only like a week of school left....

Yeah I thought those existed... In any event, it just shows that there is really no excuse for boarding without a Metrocard because even they are lost they can get those letters. In fact I believe I have even used them when they were delayed at the beginning of the year with the Metrocards.

1) Very funny... I recall them handing out letters or something so that students could ride until they Metrocards arrived.

2) The point is that even if it is $100 million dollars that is money that could be used to improve service.

3) First of all, regardless of how much it costs, it is still coming out of the (MTA)'s pocket and tax payers pockets and it could be used for something else. Production of them may not cost much, but it certainly costs the (MTA) money to provide you with your 3 rides a day during the week which you think should be unlimited. Spoiled brat says what? <_<

4) Yes and that's exactly why that whole argument about so many students being so dependent on them is a bunch of crappola and why many folks wanted them taken away.

5) No, what I'm telling you is that you can't possibly know which routes has more farebeaters on it than the actual B/Os that drive the routes themselves.

1) Well, they don't. Not at my school anyway...

2) Yeah, and all I'm saying is that that figure is definitely not as high as they claim. That's all.

3) First of all, I said it would be nice if they offered unlimited rides, but I didn't say I thought they should actually do it. Like I said, I use the transfers and get by with 3 rides. Second of all, you're so "affluent", and yet I'm the spoiled one. Yeah, OK. Says the one who couldn't stand all that "poverty" in Port Richmond. <_< And asking for empty buses to run around just because you happen to benefit from them isn't spoiled at all. :rolleyes:

4) I know one kid who gets driven. There are 585,000 kids who don't get driven and use those MetroCards. That's like saying you're a habitual farebeater because of that one time you were in Italy and almost got caught by an inspector, or those times when you covered the farebox so you could get away with getting on with a 1/2 fare MetroCard. So please, cut the crap.

5) First of all, there's nothing saying that B/Os have driven every route on SI. You could drive the S40 and think that it gets a lot of farebeaters, but that doesn't mean the S46 doesn't get more.

And come to think about it, I actually have heard B/Os say the S46 is worse than the S40. I remember after a bunch of kids got on the S46, another B/O was talking to the one that was driving, and he said "this is why I won't drive any route with a 40 in it", and the B/O driving said "Actually, the 40 isn't bad". So there you go. <_<

There are a large percentage of them who don't use the ferry and SIR. I doubt somebody farebeating on the S46 in Mariners' Harbor uses the SIR too often.

@All farebeaters: Go ahead and think that mass transit is free. But if you get caught by the security camera, bus operator, or police, learn you lesson. You deserved it.

Yeah, OK. They're so afraid of being caught by a little camera. And for being caught by the B/O, unless you're coming in through the back door on a crowded bus, you're obviously going to get caught. It's just a matter of whether the B/O wants to let you ride.

Yeah I thought those existed... In any event, it just shows that there is really no excuse for boarding without a Metrocard because even they are lost they can get those letters. In fact I believe I have even used them when they were delayed at the beginning of the year with the Metrocards.

Like I said, that was at your school. I'm telling you as a current student at my school that they don't give out letters. Whether they do it at other schools I don't know, but I doubt mine's the only school that doesn't give out letters.

Imagine if you were a farebeater. Think that you believed that you could go ahead and think that mass transit is free. But if you get caught by the security camera, bus operator, or police, learn you lesson. You deserved it. Mass transit feels to many people as a thing that is never going to be taken away, like a fixed tripper on the subway. But the thing is, the money has to be paid. Where does the money for station renovation come from? Fares. Maintence? Fares. New cars/buses? Some from fares. Now imagine a crappy subway/bus system where the vehicle you are on is old and dirty, you have a cranky operator, and the quality of service is horrible. Think about if you were the one who sparked the farebeater revolution that caused all that bad service.

Very well said. If only everyone could realize this...

There are a large percentage of them who don't use the ferry and SIR. I doubt somebody farebeating on the S46 in Mariners' Harbor uses the SIR too often.

Where did I say anything about the S46? Please show me.

My commentary wasn't localized to any one route.... Don't mesh your debates with via, onto me... Thanks.

Archived