Undercover cops patrolling Staten Island city buses for fare beaters

Via Garibaldi 8

"STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Fare beaters, beware: The next time you try taking a free ride on a city bus, your destination could be a jail cell.

Undercover police officers are now riding Metropolitan Transportation Authority buses on Staten Island targeting fare beaters in an attempt to stop the financial bleeding these cheats are causing the system.

"It's a police initiative that started on Staten Island in the past four or five weeks," said MTA board member Allen Cappelli. "This is a case of Staten Island taking the lead."

The Advance

first broke the story on May 13, when after days of counting passengers on various bus routes throughout the Island, it was observed that 18 percent of passengers did not pay -- a figure many bus drivers and passengers interviewed at the time said was conservative.

On the MTA website, the official number of bus riders, citywide, in 2011 was 665,314,040. But that includes only paying customers. Extrapolating from the Advance's figures, the total ridership on MTA buses system-wide would be more than 811 million. Taking the difference and multiplying it by the regular fare of $2.25 brings the estimated losses to the MTA, citywide, to about $328 million.

The MTA press office originally refused to furnish its estimates of loses through fare evasion for the story, but later disputed the Advance's findings, saying losses totaled about $40 million.

"They're not just stealing a small amount of money, in the aggregate they're stealing service," Cappelli added. "Prosecution is important because it sends a message."

Cappelli said fare beaters caught with no prior record will face a fine, but others with a criminal history could spend a night in jail.

A spokesman for the district attorney's office said usually a fine and/or community service is sought for fare beaters charged with theft of service, petit larceny or non-payment of fare.

District Attorney Daniel Donovan said there's a good reason to go after the fare evaders:

"When Rudy Giuliani was mayor and they started to go after 'turnstile jumpers' on the subway, they discovered that the scofflaws they stopped often had open warrants or criminal records," Donovan said. "We are finding the same circumstances exist when police arrest fare beaters on Staten Island buses. It's Broken Windows Theory 101: If you fix the problems when they are small, or show little tolerance for low-level, quality-of-life crimes, you will prevent or solve the more serious crimes."

Link: http://www.silive.co...html#incart_mce

----

Hmm... A few comments for certain individuals that support farebeating and dismiss how much the (MTA) is losing... $328 million a year lost in farebeating... That's more than a quarter of a billion dollars a year... Even if it is $40 million that could be used to restore service cuts.

Other arguments made have been that farebeaters are just innocent people in need of a ride home... Apparently that isn't true either, as the majority are thugs that do other crimes. All in all this is a great thing that should've happened a while ago. My question is has anyone seen any busts on the local buses on Staten Island and have there been busts in any of the other boroughs? We need this citywide ASAP to stop the rampid theft of services. I hope someone from the (MTA) is reading this because I plan on writing to some folks at the (MTA) to express my support for this plan and hope that they expand it and keep it in place. It will not only deter farebeating, but also make the buses safer from riff raff and such.

Seen cops on a few buses yesterday and the day before on the S53, S40 and S48 and saw one dude get nabbed right out of the same S48! I should've gotten a damn video of it! :(. We sat at Forest & Broadway for a good 15 minutes while the situation was getting dealt with. Dude was resisting, grabbing onto the door and then got taken down.

But it seems like they are really taking it seriously after seeing some sort of presence on the buses as of late

Seen cops on a few buses yesterday and the day before on the S53, S40 and S48 and saw one dude get nabbed right out of the same S48! I should've gotten a damn video of it! :(. We sat at Forest & Broadway for a good 15 minutes while the situation was getting dealt with.

But it seems like they are really taking it seriously after seeing some sort of presence on the buses as of late

And it seems like they know exactly which routes suffer the most... The S40 and S46 are said to the be the worst on the island, but the S48 and S53 has its fair share as well.

As for them taking it seriously, I think they are because even some of the politicians have joined in to show their disgust at the situation and when they get involved then you know that this may go on for a while. The D.A. is now involved too so it should be interesting to see how this plays out.

---

Found another link on this issue:

http://www.ny1.com/c...us-fare-jumpers

I like the comment from the S44 rider that got on without paying... When asked why she didn't pay, she said "I don't feel like paying". So that right there shows that some of the farebeaters have the money and just simply don't want to pay.

This is great this is will become a city wide plan once the (MTA) gets things together.

And it seems like they know exactly which routes suffer the most... The S40 and S46 are said to the be the worst on the island, but the S48 and S53 has its fair share as well.

As for them taking it seriously, I think they are because even some of the politicians have joined in to show their disgust at the situation and when they get involved then you know that this may go on for a while. The D.A. is now involved too so it should be interesting to see how this plays out.

As a person who often rides the 40 I can definitely agree with that. The 40 in either direction you can see farebeaters every 3-4 stops or less! Every ride I get on the 53, its always a good number of them getting on. I don't touch the S46, did that once and never did it again! The 48 I use every once in a while and its not often that you see a farebeater, and if you do, its mostly teens/folks in their low-20s.

The best thing about it though, the majority on the bus are plain-clothes cops. That was the case on my S48 yesterday!

As a person who often rides the 40 I can definitely agree with that. The 40 in either direction you can see farebeaters every 3-4 stops or less! Every ride I get on the 53, its always a good number of them getting on. I don't touch the S46, did that once and never did it again! The 48 I use every once in a while and its not often that you see a farebeater, and if you do, its mostly teens/folks in their low-20s.

The best thing about it though, the majority on the bus are plain-clothes cops. That was the case on my S48 yesterday!

Yep, they're going to be all undercover cops on Staten Island, as the D.A. has vowed to use the resources necessary to nip this in the bud. The NY1 link that I posted stated that this will be implemented citywide eventually so this rampid farebeating situation will finally be dealt with and maybe the monies taken in from it will help to restore some service cuts. I will be writing to a few representatives when I have the time this week to personally thank them for taking a stand as this is long overdue.

1) Hmm... A few comments for certain individuals that support farebeating and dismiss how much the (MTA) is losing... $328 million a year lost in farebeating... That's more than a quarter of a billion dollars a year... Even if it is $40 million that could be used to restore service cuts.

2) Other arguments made have been that farebeaters are just innocent people in need of a ride home... Apparently that isn't true either, as the majority are thugs that do other crimes. All in all this is a great thing that should've happened a while ago. My question is has anyone seen any busts on the local buses on Staten Island and have there been busts in any of the other boroughs? We need this citywide ASAP to stop the rampid theft of services. I hope someone from the (MTA) is reading this because I plan on writing to some folks at the (MTA) to express my support for this plan and hope that they expand it and keep it in place. It will not only deter farebeating, but also make the buses safer from riff raff and such.

1) Yeah, OK. I'm going to believe a number set forth by the same newspaper that thinks the S54 starts at Castleton & Broadway, and that thinks a 0.1% fare evasion rate on the M15 is the same as a (supposed) 18% fare evasion rate on Staten Island. I guess 82 + 15 = 100 now, and there have been "Three +SBS+ routes running since 2008". <_< (Only the Bx12 started in 2008)

No way is it $328 million. That's all I'll say for that.

2) Yeah, OK. The majority are thugs. I highly doubt that. Yeah, some are loud and obnoxious, but I doubt they're actually wanted for other crimes. Take any tripper and you'll see a ton of high school students who didn't bother to dip in their MetroCard. Yeah, all the kids at Tottenville HS are thugs. <_<

1) And it seems like they know exactly which routes suffer the most... The S40 and S46 are said to the be the worst on the island, but the S48 and S53 has its fair share as well.

2) I like the comment from the S44 rider that got on without paying... When asked why she didn't pay, she said "I don't feel like paying". So that right there shows that some of the farebeaters have the money and just simply don't want to pay.

1) The S40 isn't bad in that sense (at least from what I've seen). The S46 is the worst and I have yet to see a bust.

2) Yeah, some do and some don't.

Was the guy who was taken off the only farebeater or what? Or did he just happen to be the most obnoxious one? (Please tell me there weren't a bunch of loud, obnoxious ones, or some who came on with a phone in their hand and they took off one who was just leaving everybody alone)

checkmate that's bullshit most fare beaters are not just teens many are bums(losers with wrong priorities) on the welfare and are grown. you have to use several lines throughout the city to know the real demographics of most fare beaters because they're not just teens many are thugs and or grown a**holes you can't tell me that you can afford cigarettes at 12 dollars when you can't even afford to pay $2.25 for bus fare so I call BS. MTA RAPE THOSE FAREEVADERS WITH $500 FINES HARD!!!!!

I don't get why Staten Island is being focused..... There is a LOT more farebeating going on in the outer boroughs then there on the bus. While there are cops SOMETIMES stopping the farebeaters outside, I still don't see enough being done.

Hopefully this situation is expanded across the city.

I don't get why Staten Island is being focused..... There is a LOT more farebeating going on in the outer boroughs then there on the bus. While there are cops SOMETIMES stopping the farebeaters outside, I still don't see enough being done.

The newspaper that wrote the article was based out of Staten Island. I guess the SI politicians were also the most vocal, so that's why they were focused on.

Was the guy who was taken off the only farebeater or what? Or did he just happen to be the most obnoxious one? (Please tell me there weren't a bunch of loud, obnoxious ones, or some who came on with a phone in their hand and they took off one who was just leaving everybody alone)

He was the only guy, he walked on and didnt say anything, walked to the back and then the cop got to him.

While I do agree with this. If you take a ride on routes like the S40 or S46, you'll see that those lines along with a number of others are high in farebeating. The Bronx got it really bad especially with the articulated routes, but I dont think the entire borough has it bad as Staten Island with every route in that borough. But that's just me and my opinion.

He was the only guy, he walked on and didnt say anything, walked to the back and then the cop got to him.

While I do agree with this. If you take a ride on routes like the S40 or S46, you'll see that those lines along with a number of others are high in farebeating. The Bronx got it really bad especially with the articulated routes, but I dont think the entire borough has it bad as Staten Island with every route in that borough. But that's just me and my opinion.

Your right about the S46. I went on it once about 3 weeks ago during the Rush hour. Nothing but kids entering the front and back, passing the driver. The Question is, how many under covers plan to be on the bus... Knowing a bunch of kids get on at once.

Your right about the S46. I went on it once about 3 weeks ago during the Rush hour. Nothing but kids entering the front and back, passing the driver. The Question is, how many under covers plan to be on the bus... Knowing a bunch of kids get on at once.

Dunno, but there were 2 on my S48 yesterday when they nabbed that dude.

I have a feeling that they wouldn't bother if it was a ton of kids going on by a school (like say, by that stop right after St. George) because they know they're going home from school (not saying it's right not to dip in a Student MetroCard, but whatever). Now, if it was near a random major stop, then I guess they'd just pull off a couple just to intimidate everyone else (Like I said, hopefully the most obnoxious ones)

Like I said before, I've seen buses get so crowded that people have no choice but to enter through the back (I don't think anybody wants to wait another 15 minutes for the next bus, which could be just as crowded), but I doubt they'd put them on buses like that.

I have a feeling that they wouldn't bother if it was a ton of kids going on by a school (like say, by that stop right after St. George) because they know they're going home from school (not saying it's right not to dip in a Student MetroCard, but whatever). Now, if it was near a random major stop, then I guess they'd just pull off a couple just to intimidate everyone else (Like I said, hopefully the most obnoxious ones)

Even with that, the MTA will lose cash. What the NYPD SHOULD do, is at major stops (even Terminals), is have an Officer stick to the front and see who dips what and IF they do. Maybe even restore that box in the back of the driver seat that says which is dipped to help lower the amount of evasion.

For St. George, do that and on top of that, don't open the back door. Thats what bus drivers should do at major stops, Force everyone to exit the front and enter the front, that way you are forced to pay, unless you pass the driver.

Even with that, the MTA will lose cash. What the NYPD SHOULD do, is at major stops (even Terminals), is have an Officer stick to the front and see who dips what and IF they do. Maybe even restore that box in the back of the driver seat that says which is dipped to help lower the amount of evasion.

For St. George, do that and on top of that, don't open the back door. Thats what bus drivers should do at major stops, Force everyone to exit the front and enter the front, that way you are forced to pay, unless you pass the driver.

I thought they still had those different indicator lights. Maybe it's not on the newer buses (I haven't been paying attention TBH)

And as far as a bunch of people getting on at once, that's the point: If you only have a couple of cops, how many people could you realistically take off?

And they don't open the back door at St. George anyway. As for major stops, that'll just make it harder for everybody else to get off and cause delays.

The newspaper that wrote the article was based out of Staten Island. I guess the SI politicians were also the most vocal, so that's why they were focused on.

The reason is partially because of the SI politicians but also D.A. Dan Donovan. He decided to take police resources and put them undercover on several routes. It's clear that you didn't read the article. Here's a quote from him from the article:

"When Rudy Giuliani was mayor and they started to go after 'turnstile jumpers' on the subway, they discovered that the scofflaws they stopped often had open warrants or criminal records," Donovan said. "We are finding the same circumstances exist when police arrest fare beaters on Staten Island buses. It's Broken Windows Theory 101: If you fix the problems when they are small, or show little tolerance for low-level, quality-of-life crimes, you will prevent or solve the more serious crimes."

Also, some politicians may be taking funds to put to the program, so that's another reason as well. The other boroughs will have it too eventually, as noted in the two links I posted.

The other issue, is that there has been an increase in thefts particularly of electronic goods on Staten Island buses and the thinking is that a lot of the thefts come from farebeaters.

I'm sorry, but coming from Brooklyn, Staten Island has to be the borough with the highest amount of farebeaters if not a close second to the Bronx. You have no idea how bold these folks are out on Staten Island. Just walk on the bus and take a seat. No begging or pleading or excuses. They really think they're entitled to a free ride. Utterly disgusting. <_< And yes this will be expanded citywide, per the links that I posted.

1) Yeah, OK. I'm going to believe a number set forth by the same newspaper that thinks the S54 starts at Castleton & Broadway, and that thinks a 0.1% fare evasion rate on the M15 is the same as a (supposed) 18% fare evasion rate on Staten Island. I guess 82 + 15 = 100 now, and there have been "Three +SBS+ routes running since 2008". <_< (Only the Bx12 started in 2008)

No way is it $328 million. That's all I'll say for that.

Forget about the newspaper. Even Allen Cappelli believes it. This is a quote from him from the NY1 link I posted earlier:

"I estimate it to be in the tens of millions if not the hundreds of millions of dollars," said MTA board member Allen Cappelli. "It's a serious amount of money that has caused service in the region and the city to be cut."

Link: http://www.ny1.com/c...us-fare-jumpers

So that right there shows that farebeating is costing the (MTA) and it is hurting riders by having their service cut. He is one board member that actually has a clue about what is going on and he should especially should know seeing that he uses the buses on Staten Island and lives on the island. He would have to be dumb blind and stupid not to know what is going on and the (MTA) knows it too. They have just been turning a blind eye to it for years. You can be denial if you want but it is pretty evident what is happening.

2) Yeah, OK. The majority are thugs. I highly doubt that. Yeah, some are loud and obnoxious, but I doubt they're actually wanted for other crimes. Take any tripper and you'll see a ton of high school students who didn't bother to dip in their MetroCard. Yeah, all the kids at Tottenville HS are thugs. <_<

You need to stop with this nonsense about so many farebeaters being high school kids because there are plenty of adults AND young adults beating the fare. Aside from that the facts are there. I quote Dan Donovan:

"When Rudy Giuliani was mayor and they started to go after 'turnstile jumpers' on the subway, they discovered that the scofflaws they stopped often had open warrants or criminal records," Donovan said. "We are finding the same circumstances exist when police arrest fare beaters on Staten Island buses."

Yet again you are in denial.

The other issue is these kids not dipping. I would have the cops yank them off of the bus and fine them because too many of them are not dipping their cards and don't think that they won't go after them because the cops most certainly will. When Giuliani was in office, they went after all farebeaters, regardless of whether they were schoolkids or not. They are given Metrocards for a reason.... To USE them... I want a crackdown on that too and I plan on writing Dan Donovan about that as well. The politicians on Staten Island are acting because folks have brought it to their attention that they are outraged about it and rightfully so.

1) The S40 isn't bad in that sense (at least from what I've seen). The S46 is the worst and I have yet to see a bust.

The S40 has been constantly noted as being one of the worst on the island and the source is the B/Os. They also mention the S46 as well and the S48. Are you going to sit here and say that you know better than they do when they drive the buses all day long?? If so then that is a pretty arrogant comment to make.

You have no idea how bold these folks are out on Staten Island. Just walk on the bus and take a seat. No begging or pleading or excuses. They really think they're entitled to a free ride. Utterly disgusting. <_<

I don't think it's that they feel "entitled" to a free ride; I think they're just selfish idiots who don't care about the system and know they can get away with stealing.

I don't think it's that they feel "entitled" to a free ride; I think they're just selfish idiots who don't care about the system and know they can get away with stealing.

What is being selfish if it isn't a sense of entitlement? In fact some of them use the excuse that service is so bad now and yada yada yada so they're not paying as if they're taking it upon themselves to help themselves to a free ride. You heard that black lady on the S44 in that NY1 link I posted talking about how she didn't feel like paying. <_< They will use any excuse to justify not paying and it is disgusting. Yeah they don't have to pay, but they don't have a right to a free ride. You don't feel like paying?? Then you can walk to your destination.

The sense of entitlement is that many of them walk on the bus and just have a seat as if they're entitled to a free ride when they know very well that the fare is $2.25. One B/O had a talk with this young black guy on the S53 I was on because he clearly felt disrespected that the guy got on his bus for a mere two stops to go to the YMCA when he could've walked. He wasn't destitute. Just lazy and felt entitled. That right there is abuse.

What is being selfish if it isn't a sense of entitlement? In fact some of them use the excuse that service is so bad and yada yada yada so they're not paying as if they're taking it upon themselves to help themselves to a free ride. You heard that black lady on the S44 in that NY1 link I posted talking about how she didn't feel like paying. <_<

I guess you're right about the people who actually argue that they shouldn't have to pay; e.g. the people who say that the MTA doesn't deserve the money. They do think they're entitled to a free ride, but I guess who I was referring to is just the stupid kids/teenagers for the most part who sneak on the bus without thinking.

What I mean is that what you think of as "feeling entitled", I think is often just carelessness. That doesn't make it less wrong, it's just that I don't think it's a problem with our society as you claim (that people feel entitled to everything). If you give people an opportunity to steal and get away with it, some people will take it.

I guess you're right about the people who actually argue that they shouldn't have to pay; e.g. the people who say that the MTA doesn't deserve the money. They do think they're entitled to a free ride, but I guess who I was referring to is just the stupid kids/teenagers for the most part who sneak on the bus without thinking.

With the school kids they're getting into the habit of thinking that it is okay to get on and not dip their Metrocards or if they run out of rides that it is okay to just sneak on. This is absolutely WRONG because it is teaching these kids that there are no consequences for their actions and some of them will grow up with this attitude and they'll be just like that black lady on the S44 who clearly has come to believe that she's entitled to services that she should be paying for. That is why the cops need to get tough on all farebeaters like they were when Giuliani was in office. The thing with Giuliani is that he was a former D.A. so he understood the importance of cracking down on petty thefts like farebeating. It improves the quality of life because often times the folks doing petty crimes are doing more serious crimes as I noted earlier in my quote of the D.A. of Staten Island (Dan Donovan).

If you think I'm arguing that it's okay for people to steal bus rides, you are completely wrong. I'm in support of what the police is doing; that's why I clicked the "like" button on your post. I just don't like your attitude that the "black lady" or the "young black guy" think that the bus should be free. People don't like spending money; some people have such bad morals that they think they should never spend money when they don't have to (when the police aren't watching). Some guy who steals food from the grocery store doesn't think he's entitled to free food; he just realizes that he can have it easily, and doesn't care that it's wrong to take it.

If you think I'm arguing that it's okay for people to steal bus rides, you are completely wrong. I'm in support of what the police is doing; that's why I clicked the "like" button on your post. I just don't like your attitude that the "black lady" or the "young black guy" think that the bus should be free. People don't like spending money; some people have such bad morals that they think they should never spend money when they don't have to (when the police aren't watching). Some guy who steals food from the grocery store doesn't think he's entitled to free food; he just realizes that he can have it easily, and doesn't care that it's wrong to take it.

What attitude?? I was simply stating the facts, no attitude attached nor my opinion. The NY1 video clip clearly shows the black lady talking about how she doesn't feel like paying. You don't like my attitude because the individuals in my example happen to be black? Too bad. I've seen black farebeaters, white ones and Latino ones, but I will say that majority of the ones that I see are black. Not my fault if they happen to be the majority. The truth hurts I guess, but I just state things the way that they are and let the chips fall where they may. I mean hey, I'm mixed and I don't think I should pay $7.50 for MetroNorth because IMO it is overpriced considering that often times I have to stand from Spuyten Duyvil to Grand Central, plus I pay $2.25 for the Hudson Rail Link (which I sometimes don't get a seat on either) when I use it to get to the Spuyten Duyvil station, but I pay it because it isn't free and that is $9.75 one way and these folks complain about $2.25. Give me a break.

Archived