Another Bus Driver attacked while on duty on the Bx10

mark1447

My condolences to the B/O for having to go through that, and best wishes for a speedy recovery. I have to say, this is surprising and disturbing, especially since the Bx10 is my home line and I'm generally at or near the stop where this happened at least two to three times a week. I agree with VG8; (MTA) needs to either get shields retrofitted to most if not all of its buses or relax the rules for B/Os regarding physical contact with passengers (preferably by allowing B/Os to use matching force in the event of an assault as a stopgap measure until shields can be fully installed).

• 3 weeks later...

You know what I find really funny: These deranged idiots can swing at us; but if we retaliate, we become the bad guys. Things were sure different when my old man was a bus operator, back in the mid 80's someone was dumb enough to put their hands on you- you COULD turn around and make it where THAT ANIMAL WON'T BE WALKING EVER AGAIN (let alone WALKING OFF THAT BUS)

You know what I find really funny: These deranged idiots can swing at us; but if we retaliate, we become the bad guys. Things were sure different when my old man was a bus operator, back in the mid 80's someone was dumb enough to put their hands on you- you COULD turn around and make it where THAT ANIMAL WON'T BE WALKING EVER AGAIN (let alone WALKING OFF THAT BUS)

Not true, you can defend yourself at any given time but there are certain things you must do to ensure that you have a job the next day. Never and i say never get off the bus. Once you step off the bus you are now pursuing the fight and abandoning your bus. You can get fired for abandoning a bus. Second is only to use the force that is necessary to stop the threat. You cant hammer the person to a pulp and the last thing is don't strike first. You can never strike first, after you been hit then its game on. A word of advice, remember that fare beat that you let on the bus, well that person might hang around to tell what happen in your favor because you were so kind, also be kind to your regulars by giving them a smile everyday because they will stick up for you when management comes swinging scythe.

Not true, you can defend yourself at any given time but there are certain things you must do to ensure that you have a job the next day. Never and i say never get off the bus. Once you step off the bus you are now pursuing the fight and abandoning your bus. You can get fired for abandoning a bus. Second is only to use the force that is necessary to stop the threat. You cant hammer the person to a pulp and the last thing is don't strike first. You can never strike first, after you been hit then its game on. A word of advice, remember that fare beat that you let on the bus, well that person might hang around to tell what happen in your favor because you were so kind, also be kind to your regulars by giving them a smile everyday because they will stick up for you when management comes swinging scythe.

That line is 100% correct. I know of one driver that let the passenger drag her off the bus then beat the crap after the passenger and the company couldn't say anything because the camera's showed that the passenger hit the operator first.

A word of advice, remember that fare beat that you let on the bus, well that person might hang around to tell what happen in your favor because you were so kind, also be kind to your regulars by giving them a smile everyday because they will stick up for you when management comes swinging scythe.

I wish more ops thought you like you... I can tell you as a rider with a few ops that I'm a regular with, I've always got their back when it comes to incidents and in general. My man on the M2 got into an accident once while I was on the bus, wasn't his fault at all but the MTA will try to string you up for that easy. So a bunch of us made sure all the right phone numbers got traded just in case he needed backup about the scene, and thanks in part to that he ended up staying out of trouble. I've also ended up making a few phone calls for Apple Awards over the years too, probably doesn't do anything, but you hope that eventually it does get through to their supervisors and some of the ops who really do their jobs well get rewarded. NYC may be known for being an impersonal city, but all that means is that when you do make it personal people have got your back.

Archived