Another Bus Driver attacked while on duty on the Bx10

mark1447

Another MTA bus driver attacked as passenger breaks Jose Rondon's nose aboard Bx10

A rider pummeled a Bronx bus driver, breaking his nose in a random attack Monday two days after a woman was charged with smacking a Brooklyn bus driver with a cane.

Fernando Lopez, 31, was arrested on felony assault charges in the noontime attack on Bx10 driver Jose Rondon at W. 231st St. and Broadway.

Rondon said the assault came completely without warning as he was discharging passengers.

“He was getting off the bus and just started wailing on me,” Rondon, 58, said. “No words were exchanged. I was caught off guard.”

There were about 30 riders on the bus.

“People were screaming and yelling at him, getting on their cell phones and calling the police,” Rondon said. "It was a weird situation. I was bleeding and disorientated. I finally realized I was being hit and I grabbed for his arm.”

Lopez, who police said is mentally disturbed, suddenly stopped swinging, Rondon said.

“He just walked out the door and left like nothing happened,” Rondon said.

The veteran driver, who survived a heart attack two years ago, said he was so startled by the surprise assault he initially thought he was having another heart attack.

Lopez fled the scene, but police drove around the area with one of the passengers who pointed him out to cops.

“The passengers played a role in apprehending this guy,” Rondon said.

Read the rest: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx/mta-bus-driver-attacked-passenger-breaks-jose-rondon-nose-aboard-bx10-article-1.1115759#ixzz20tbTg6Xp

Well this guy had mental problems so that's all this was. Still though, if they had the shields up (a hum... <_< ) perhaps this guy couldn't have done what he did. This was just an unfortunate situation. YoungBlaze does the Bx10 from Riverdale to Kingsbridge and he can attest that there probably isn't much riff raff and if anything it would be from Kingsbridge. Just not that type of crowd. I'm sure that was one reason why the B/O was so surprised.

Oh and for all of the folks out there that don't think B/Os should have something to protect themselves... Well seems like no one else is doing anything.

It's out of control these deranged folk hop on the bus and think they are entitled to do whatever they want to us. Not to long ago a lady petty slapped me while I was adjusting my mirror and ran off the bus it didn't hurt or anything but it's like damn these people cross the line in The Bronx way to quickly.

Well this guy had mental problems so that's all this was. Still though, if they had the shields up (a hum... <_< ) perhaps this guy couldn't have done what he did. This was just an unfortunate situation. YoungBlaze does the Bx10 from Riverdale to Kingsbridge and he can attest that there probably isn't much riff raff and if anything it would be from Kingsbridge. Just not that type of crowd. I'm sure that was one reason why the B/O was so surprised.

Oh and for all of the folks out there that don't think B/Os should have something to protect themselves... Well seems like no one else is doing anything.

I was completely shocked just from reading the tittle of the thread I was like what? The Bx10? Can't be. But then again it can happen any where as anyone can get on the bus at anytime.

--

Oh and VG8 your right we should be allowed to defend ourselves because nobody else does anything the superintendent even stated that if I would have hit her back I would have been fired immediately and don't even get me started on what the police who were dispatched to the scene said...they thought it was a big joke talking about how could I let somebody hit me if it was them they would have body slammed the person etc... That's when I realized that I'm really on my own out here. Regarding what happened that day I just happened so quick I was like wow no way I could have done anything anyways, regardless I returned to work that same day because I wasn't in anyway hurt and don't believe in cheating the system.

Dear Lord why. I know who that bus op is too. Never spoke to him but I know of him. This is very bad. I was also a bit shocked when I saw Bx10 in the thread title.

MTA really needs to accelerate the installation of the shields.

young, I would not call it a Bronx thing so much. I still go by anything can happen anywhere. Funny thing is that a couple of years ago a Bx10 bus op told me he was at Kappock & Knolls Cres and some kids came and broke the windows in his front door.

These are some of the reasons why I often prefer reclusiveness to gregariousness. Although it does depend on a range of factors.

I was completely shocked just from reading the tittle of the thread I was like what? The Bx10? Can't be. But then again it can happen any where as anyone can get on the bus at anytime.

Yeah so was I. I mean it's not exactly a ghetto type of bus, but as you said folks can get on anywhere. The good thing is that they caught the guy and the type of action that the passengers took exemplifies what type of folks live in Riverdale. Everyone looks out for each other here, so at least the guy was caught.

Dear Lord why. I know who that bus op is too. Never spoke to him but I know of him. This is very bad. I was also a bit shocked when I saw Bx10 in the thread title.

MTA really needs to accelerate the installation of the shields.

young, I would not call it a Bronx thing so much. I still go by anything can happen anywhere. Funny thing is that a couple of years ago a Bx10 bus op told me he was at Kappock & Knolls Cres and some kids came and broke the windows in his front door.

These are some of the reasons why I often prefer reclusiveness to gregariousness. Although it does depend on a range of factors.

I agree, anything can happen anywhere. Yeah, the op is apart of the union here at KB.

I'm not going to post here, because the last time we had one of these threads, sh*t went down... :ph34r:

You just did :P

Mentally ill or not, these attacks are becoming the new trend for these folk. It somewhat saddens me that the passengers would rather get on their cell phones than to restrain the offender or even help out the B/O in these type of situations...

It somewhat saddens me that the passengers would rather get on their cell phones than to restrain the offender or even help out the B/O in these type of situations...

Because if I do that how do I know they are not going to just drag my ass away in handcuffs and then cite me for inappropriate physical contact!?

Because if I do that how do I know they are not going to just drag my ass away in handcuffs and then cite me for inappropriate physical contact!?

I mean, you do have witnesses on the bus, and of course the B/O you are trying to help.....lol

Mentally ill or not, these attacks are becoming the new trend for these folk. It somewhat saddens me that the passengers would rather get on their cell phones than to restrain the offender or even help out the B/O in these type of situations...

I can kind of understand though. I mean put yourself in their situation. A guy is getting off of the bus and then suddenly out of nowhere, for no reason, starts attacking the B/O. They were probably in shock like the B/O. Also from what I see most of the passengers that ride the Bx10 tend to be females so they may have been afraid to get involved with a crazed man like that. If someone starts attacking another person for no reason, then clearly they're not right in the head and they can do anything at that point. If passengers decide to get involved they are risking their own lives to do so and quite frankly I think what they did was pretty good because if they had tried to restrain him that could've led to the situation escalating.

I mean, you do have witnesses on the bus, and of course the B/O you are trying to help.....lol

So? What about the wonderful defense attorney who is appointed for the scum of the earth defendant and legal mumbo jumbo that occurs once you involve yourself in sticky situations? What about me being held for questioning at the precinct and not being able to work or study until I get out? Or somebody else who needs to get home because they need to feed their kids?

Please do not be facetious. You are making it seem much more black-and-white than it is. There is no way, even if I am with a group of friends, that I can fully expect to go out of my way to physically restrain or disable a criminal and get off Scott-free when court rulings are determined based on "proper evidence" and the caliber of the attorneys and the judge has no way of knowing exactly what happened.

And, even if I do end up Scott-free, how do I know that will happen without my spending an exorbitant amount of time and money (in both legal fees and salary losses if I have to miss work to go to court) to fight the accusations? Even trying to get video evidence from MTA using those security cameras in the buses is no easy job.

The more I think about it the more I realize something:

Carrying a readily available camera at all times is a damn good idea. :)

See crime in progress, whip out camera and snap away, and then report to nearest precinct. Non-physical vigilantism is the way to go.

So? What about the wonderful defense attorney who is appointed for the scum of the earth defendant and legal mumbo jumbo that occurs once you involve yourself in sticky situations? What about me being held for questioning at the precinct and not being able to work or study until I get out? Or somebody else who needs to get home because they need to feed their kids?

Please do not be facetious. You are making it seem much more black-and-white than it is. There is no way, even if I am with a group of friends, that I can fully expect to go out of my way to physically restrain or disable a criminal and get off Scott-free when court rulings are determined based on "proper evidence" and the caliber of the attorneys and the judge has no way of knowing exactly what happened.

And, even if I do end up Scott-free, how do I know that will happen without my spending an exorbitant amount of time and money (in both legal fees and salary losses if I have to miss work to go to court) to fight the accusations? Even trying to get video evidence from MTA using those security cameras in the buses is no easy job.

See crime in progress, whip out camera and snap away, and then report to nearest precinct. Non-physical vigilantism is the way to go.

This isn't the old days anymore and sometimes folks have been sorry for trying to be helpful so now folks tend to be a bit more apprehensive in getting involved. This is why I think more needs to be done to protect B/Os. They are truly on their own out there and if not tasers then at least put up the shields. The (MTA) is talking about service improvements. If they're anywhere as slow as they've been in putting up these shields, we have a long wait ahead of us.

Points noted.

But that last one though, while people do that. There are others that uses that footage to get their internet fame going by posting on YT or WSHH.

You just did :P

I'm thinking that part of the reason is because other passengers are afraid of getting charges themselves or getting sued for intervening. Being a good samaritian comes at a cost. I've been there, after assisting a passenger who had a heart attack on the train....

Amazing thing was the EMTs saw that I was responding to a medical emergency correctly. (AHA CPR certified) -- And the passenger *still* was threatening to sue, idiot. I was trying to help you so you don't atrophy on me while I was going to school ....

Points noted.

But that last one though, while people do that. There are others that uses that footage to get their internet fame going by posting on YT or WSHH.

True, but recording is important. I once caught a cop shoving and then beating up a guy whose only fault was trying to help his arrested friend, I knew that video wouldn't do anything at the NYPD so I sent that ish straight to CNN and they aired it. I've haven't heard much about the case since it was years ago, but I hope it helped. Certainly got a whole lot of people to understand the situation.

--

This scene is disgusting. Poor guy, hope he's alright.

Before i start my comments, let me express my hope and prayers to the driver on the Bx10 as well as the driver on the B/65 who was also assaulted earlier this week that they will be well. My statement also applies to all the other bus drivers who have been victims as well.

Let me ask one question and that is what are District Attorneys doing about these assaults on the very people that help us to go about our daily business and who we are thankful for every single day. Are these individuals being allowed to postpone their cases until the time is exahusted or the hope that someone gets tired of pursuing the case? I could not care less about their mental problems or any other problems either real or imagined. The fact is once you assault a bus driver or subway motorman or conductor, it is a felony and you earned yourself a trip upstate period. If you want to keep doing it, you will be pursued as a second time felony offender and if you do it a third time as a third time felony offender. Then the message will get through to these individuals, loud and clear.

Archived