MTA to bring back subway, bus and commuter rail service slashed in 2010

Shortline Bus

"THE MTA will spend nearly $30 million to increase bus, subway and commuter train service in an effort to ease the pain caused by the 2010 budget cuts, the Daily News has learned.

A majority of the allocation — which amounts to about one-third of the money saved in the 2010 moves — will be used to run buses more frequently and extend some existing routes into new neighborhoods, sources said.

Metro-North and Long Island Rail Road riders also should see less crowding and shorter waits, sources said. Half-hour intervals between trains — the norm for the morning and evening rush hours — will be employed during off-peak travel times and weekends, sources said. Cars also will be added to commuter trains that were shortened in length in 2010, sources said."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mta-bring-back-subway-bus-commuter-rail-service-slashed-2010-budget-crisis-article-1.1117419#ixzz214hus7jl

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mta-bring-back-subway-bus-commuter-rail-service-slashed-2010-budget-crisis-article-1.1117419

So what lines of LIRR/Metro North should have restored service levels pre-2010?

I can see Atlantic Terminal late nights being restored ,especially with the opening of the Barclay center.

It should. At least run the Hempstead line every 90 minutes between 2-5am. It already runs as a shuttle between Jamaica and Far Rock.

And what would great on MNRR on my 'home' line the Hudson Line is the following.

All Poughkeepsie/Upper Hudson Line trains run non-stop express between Croton-Harmon and 125th/GCT all trips weekdays 5am-Midnight and weekends 8am-11pm.

30-minute headways on Stamford-GCT local on New Haven until 10pm Monday-Saturdays and 9pm Sundays.

Here's what's going to happen apparently (as per http://www.mta.info/mta/2012_13_investment.html):

Metro-North: Line Proposed Investment Investment Goal Implementation

Hudson

• Adjust train capacity based on ongoing rider load evaluation to reduce customer crowding

Respond to ridership increases

October 2012

Harlem

New Haven

Hudson

• Restructure off-peak/weekend service pattern similar to Harlem/New Haven lines
  • Upper Hudson trains operating express between Croton-Harmon & GCT, all connecting with local trains at Croton-Harmon
  • Half-hourly semi-express service between Croton-Harmon & GCT.
  • One additional AM Reverse Peak outbound and one additional inbound off-peak train between GCT and Poughkeepsie.

Improve service connections

April 2013

Harlem

• Adjust weekday Upper Harlem service to relieve crowding
  • Add 30 min headway service between Southeast and GCT at key off-peak periods

April 2013

• Provide 30 min headway service between Southeast and GCT at key weekend times

October 2012

• Provide 30 min headway service between N White Plains and GCT at key times on Sunday

• Provide 30 min headway service between N White Plains and GCT at other times on Sunday

April 2013

New Haven

• Provide 30 min headway service between Stamford and GCT at key times on Sundays

October 2012

• Provide 30 min headway service between Stamford and GCT at other times on Sundays

April 2013

• Provide 30 min headway service btwn New Haven and GCT at key times on Sat/Sun

October 2012

Pascack Valley

• Add one AM peak and one PM peak train between Hoboken and Spring Valley

Service level restoration

October 2012

LIRR:

Branch Proposed Investment Investment Goal Implementation

Ronkonkoma

• Increase from hourly to half-hourly service between NYC and Farmingdale on weekends
  • 9 AM – 12 PM westbound
  • 4 PM – 7 PM eastbound

Increase service frequency

November 2012

• Increase from hourly to half-hourly westbound service on weekdays between Farmingdale and NYC during post-AM peak

March 2013

Long Beach

• Restore one AM peak train from Long Beach to Penn

Service restoration

March 2013

Atlantic Term

• Provide late night service between Downtown Brooklyn and Jamaica

Service restoration

March 2013

Port Jefferson

• Restore one PM Peak train from Hunterspoint to Port Jefferson

Service Restoration

March 2013

Montauk

• Restore three evening scoots between Babylon and Patchogue/Speonk
  • Restore hourly service to Patchogue until midnight

Service restoration

March 2013

• Restore one PM peak train from Hunterspoint to Montauk during summer seasonal months

Service restoration

May 2013

While I'm happy that late night service to Atlantic Terminal is being restored (especially after the opening of the Barclays Center), I am still waiting for weekend service to be restored to the West Hempstead Branch and the Greenport Branch in the winter...

While I'm happy that late night service to Atlantic Terminal is being restored (especially after the opening of the Barclays Center), I am still waiting for weekend service to be restored to the West Hempstead Branch and the Greenport Branch in the winter...

Why restore West Hempstead weekend service? Most of the posters would disagree and think it's not enough ridership. maybe weekend service on nearby main line, Hempstead and others.

Seems LIRR is getting the short end of the stick with this, as always. :rolleyes:

The Port Wash line took a big hit in ridership, especially on weekends, with the reduction of service to hourly. And having no weekend Greenport trains in winter leaves ppl out there at the mercy of the overpriced snob jitney.

I wonder if (MTA) LI Bus was still around, what, if any routes they'd restore.

Seems LIRR is getting the short end of the stick with this, as always. :rolleyes:

The Port Wash line took a big hit in ridership, especially on weekends, with the reduction of service to hourly. And having no weekend Greenport trains in winter leaves ppl out there at the mercy of the overpriced snob jitney.

I wonder if (MTA) LI Bus was still around, what, if any routes they'd restore.

Pine Power a few LIRR lines will get 30 minute service weekends/weekday middays and early evenings.

Pine Power a few LIRR lines will get 30 minute service weekends/weekday middays and early evenings.

I know, but I'm suprised Port Washington will still be only hourly on weekends. From what I hear (and see at Penn) those weekend PW trains are packed, they really could use service every 30 min, even if it's from no further than Great Neck.

I know, but I'm suprised Port Washington will still be only hourly on weekends. From what I hear (and see at Penn) those weekend PW trains are packed, they really could use service every 30 min, even if it's from no further than Great Neck.

I would never advocate for additional service that only goes as far as Great Neck. 2/3 of the Port Washington Branch ridership is from stations Great Neck and eastward.

I don't like the half hourly Farmingdale proposal. A train that only makes Farmingdale-Bethpage-Hicksville-Mineola-Jamaica-NYP on the weekends won't be anywhere near full. In my opinion, it would be better to run as follows:

Huntington #1: Jamaica, all stops to Huntington

Farmingdale: Jamaica, HSF, NHP, Mineola, Westbury, Hicksville, Bethpage, Farmingdale

Huntington #2: Jamaica, Mineola, Hicksville, Syosset, CSH, Huntington

Ronkonkoma: Jamaica, Bethpage, all stops to Ronkonkoma

Schedule it such that Port Jeff connectors are always Huntington 2.

When the Farmingdale's aren't running the current stopping pattern should work.

I would never advocate for additional service that only goes as far as Great Neck. 2/3 of the Port Washington Branch ridership is from stations Great Neck and eastward.

I don't like the half hourly Farmingdale proposal. A train that only makes Farmingdale-Bethpage-Hicksville-Mineola-Jamaica-NYP on the weekends won't be anywhere near full. In my opinion, it would be better to run as follows:

Huntington #1: Jamaica, all stops to Huntington

Farmingdale: Jamaica, HSF, NHP, Mineola, Westbury, Hicksville, Bethpage, Farmingdale

Huntington #2: Jamaica, Mineola, Hicksville, Syosset, CSH, Huntington

Ronkonkoma: Jamaica, Bethpage, all stops to Ronkonkoma

Schedule it such that Port Jeff connectors are always Huntington 2.

When the Farmingdale's aren't running the current stopping pattern should work.

I agree, the Farmingdale trains should make a stop in Westbury. But I think the PW half hourly service is more important than the extra Farmingdale service. Most of the Ronk branch ridership comes from east of Farmingdale, doesn't it?

Bethpage and Farmingdale are decently used stops, im glad they increased service to Bethpage.

as for West Hempstead, I was hoping theyd bring that back, for all you know it could be next to be restored in the 2014 timeframe if the MTA continues to do well. If you live in Malverne or Lynbrook or one of the other towns, write to your town or village representative about restoring weekend service on that line.

Why restore West Hempstead weekend service? Most of the posters would disagree and think it's not enough ridership. maybe weekend service on nearby main line, Hempstead and others.

When the new apartment complex (at the site of the former Courtesy Hotel) opens up, I'm sure that will drive up ridership on the West Hempstead branch. I don't know what exactly the ridership figures will look like, but I'm positive it will be significantly more than 350 on weekends (the figure quoted by MTA back in 2009-10). Plus, the increased availability of transit service near the apartment complex will help it sell/rent quicker. As such, I expect weekend service to be back on the West Hempstead branch no later than shortly after that new apartment complex opens up.

When the new apartment complex (at the site of the former Courtesy Hotel) opens up, I'm sure that will drive up ridership on the West Hempstead branch. I don't know what exactly the ridership figures will look like, but I'm positive it will be significantly more than 350 on weekends (the figure quoted by MTA back in 2009-10). Plus, the increased availability of transit service near the apartment complex will help it sell/rent quicker. As such, I expect weekend service to be back on the West Hempstead branch no later than shortly after that new apartment complex opens up.

If gets close to 1,000 daily weekend riders then maybe by 2014 a "weekend shuttle" between West Hempstead and Jamaica could be created. However not enough IMO for full time weekend service to Penn Station or Brooklyn.

And Pine Power, i agree the LIRR has been short changed with these so called service investments. The Pt Washington as a compromise should have 30-minute headways at least on saturdays (appx. 8am-8pm). I am thrilled that now almost every trip on the MNRR Hudson Line all Upper Hudson/Poughkeepsie trains will now 'express' between GCT and Croton Harmon 7 days a week.

If gets close to 1,000 daily weekend riders then maybe by 2014 a "weekend shuttle" between West Hempstead and Jamaica could be created. However not enough IMO for full time weekend service to Penn Station or Brooklyn.

And Pine Power, i agree the LIRR has been short changed with these so called service investments. The Pt Washington as a compromise should have 30-minute headways at least on saturdays (appx. 8am-8pm). I am thrilled that now almost every trip on the MNRR Hudson Line all Upper Hudson/Poughkeepsie trains will now 'express' between GCT and Croton Harmon 7 days a week.

What if they restored the West Hempstead to Valley Stream route, instead of sending it all the way to Jamaica?

Bethpage and Farmingdale are decently used stops, im glad they increased service to Bethpage.

as for West Hempstead, I was hoping theyd bring that back, for all you know it could be next to be restored in the 2014 timeframe if the MTA continues to do well. If you live in Malverne or Lynbrook or one of the other towns, write to your town or village representative about restoring weekend service on that line.

I still think Westbury is almost as busy as Bethpage on weekends. I know since I take it all the time. The (MTA) once again is playing favorites. I've complained to the (MTA) for years about too many trains skipping Westbury, but it's like talking to a brick wall. Say what you want about Veolia/NICE but at least they listen and corrected alot of their mistakes fairly quickly.

This is why I'm no fan of the (MTA). For some reason they've always given LI the short end of the stick. Like I said it'd have been real interesting if LIB was still around if any of the routes had been brought back. The MTA always plays favorites with Metro-North and X-Bus riders for some reason, since they are getting the majority of the benefits here. I guess that's part of the reason Mangano fired the (MTA), but he should've still allocated more $$ for the buses. Since so many trains skip Westbury I often have to take the n22 to Hicksville to catch a train. And I'm not the only one that does that.

If it was up to me, the Farmingdale trains would stop at Westbury and New Hyde Park. Having only Farmingdale, Bethpage, Hicksville, and Mineola will not fill up even 70% of the train. Have the Farmingdale trains make those stops, and the Huntington/Port Jeff connection trains stop only at Hicksville and Mineola. Restore half hourly service for Saturdays on the Port Wash line, and keep Greenport service in the winter. Run West-Hempstead-Jamaica shuttles on weekends.

Also the 4:05pm Port jeff train on weekdays needs to run to Jamaica again. With it ending at Huntington, it's mayhem when SUNY is in session. I stopped taking that train when they made the change.

And they pretty much told Riverhead and the East End of LI to get lost....though I have my theories, and Hampton Jitney is a very well connected company...

I still think Westbury is almost as busy as Bethpage on weekends. I know since I take it all the time. The (MTA) once again is playing favorites. I've complained to the (MTA) for years about too many trains skipping Westbury, but it's like talking to a brick wall. Say what you want about Veolia/NICE but at least they listen and corrected alot of their mistakes fairly quickly.

For all we know the extra Farmingdale trains will make local main line stops, I cant see them running a train that just does Jamaica, Hicksville, Bethpage, Farmingdale on weekends.

For all we know the extra Farmingdale trains will make local main line stops, I cant see them running a train that just does Jamaica, Hicksville, Bethpage, Farmingdale on weekends.

No, the MTA has specifically said that the Farmingdale trains will only make NYP, Jamaica, Mineola, Hicksville, Bethpage, Farmingdale.

How well does 12 cars work on the Port Wash? IIRC, every platform on that line is 10 cars long, and off peak travelers tend not to walk to other cars for seats. I was on a weekend NEC train and I was one of around 15 people in the first car, judging by the crowds on the platforms the 9 cars behind me were probably SRO.

Archived