What is your favorite New York City Subway line, route, and car?

RollOver

Routes: (1) and (A) Fun rides from Washington Heights and Columbia to the Lower West Side; the (L) is interesting between Williamsburg and Union Square

Equipment: R142A and R143's, despite the strip maps (I'm a FIND fan, myself).

Favorite Section: Over any of the East River Bridges, regardless of the line.

As to my reason why, I love transit, and as a tourist, you get to see a lot (despite not much in Manhattan). The (1) and (A) were the trains of choice, but for sightseeing I fancied the (7) / <7>

• 4 weeks later...

My favorite A division car would without a doubt be the R62/A. (Some) have the classic half width cabs (although I confess I have yet to ride one such car leading a train, if any still exist), they have bucket seats (which are the standard in Toronto and I prefer them over benches) and they are the only non-R142 style cars on the A division lines. The R142s look cool but when there's so much of them I get tired of them rather quickly.

B division car would be the R32. They have the classic boxy look prominent in Toronto (yes, I like it when there are similiarites with Toronto cars) and they are close to 50 years old and still going strong (I will not deny that they are plagued with problems at such an age but they managed to last this long without as much issues as cars like the R44s, so you have to give them some credit). Here in Toronto we generally retire cars before they reach 40 years of age (our oldest managed to make it to 37 years before being retired in January) so I always love riding a car that manages to surpass the 40 year mark.

R40 Slants would be second on the list. I never was fortunate enough to ride them but I was glad to get photos of the school cars at Beach 116th. They are really quite unique cars. That being said I quite like the R44s as well, because if it wasn't for them I wouldn't have gotten a chance to ride an R32.

My favorite A division route is the (1), as it's the only one I've ridden, but the (7) looks nice and I hope to check it out next time I'm in New York. Favorite B division route would be either the (A) for the nice scenery in the Rockaways or the (C) for playing host to the R32s. :) Favorite line would be the Rockaway line.

R40 Slant on the (B) via West End Line. Every Friday i alway need to take this route to Manhattan for therapy. Always in RFW.

Redbird on the (7) with Express to Shea Stadium.

Also the old version of R40M (1969) on the (B) vis Wes End Line.

The (M) shuttle mode or Broad Street bound. I was in control tower near Metropolitan Avenue. Close to LIRR underpass.

• 6 months later...

Favorite Line: (D)

Route: CPW/Grand Concouse

Car: Anything as long as it's in service. Working A/C is a plus.

Reason(s): It actually gets me to friggin work on time. Taking the (4) during rush hours is the equivalent of standing in front of a firing squad.

I take this back. I'm starting to like the (A) on the IND Fulton Street line better at the moment, but I'll always have a dear place in my poor little heart for the (E) and (F) on the IND Queens Blvd Line. Reason: because I've cycled from :angry: straphanger mode to    :drool:  mode now so deal with it.  :P

Archived