Question about N/Q

Jdog14

There are. See www.JoeKorner.com and click on train assignments for the IND/BMT. R160B1 = Alstoms and R160B2 = Siemens. That website has all official NYCS car assignment and Joe Korner is a former MTA transit worker.

im always on the (N) and (Q) whenever i have work or school and to tell u the truth, the (Q) uses more Alstoms while the (N) is mostly siemens

Yes that's how the official rush hour NYCS line-by-line roster is nowdays. The (N) has more Siemens than Alstoms and the (Q) has more Alstoms than Siemens.

Since the (N)(Q) are based out of the Coney Island Yard and use the same car fleet. Any R160's can be sent to either the (N)(Q) randomly regardless if it's an Alstom or Siemens. The number of Alstoms and Siemens on the (N)(Q) vary everyday and also they both share train assignments for morning/evening/midday. The (N) runs 23 trains in morning, 16 trains midday, and 22 trains afternoon. The (Q) runs 23 trains in morning, 16 trains midday, and 22 trains afternoon. Since they both terminate at Astoria and share the same fleet and yard they can swap cars with no problem at any time. Sometimes a (N) arrives at Astoria northbound can become a southbound (Q) or a northbound (Q) arrives at Astoria northbound and becomes a southbound (N).

Since the (N)(Q) are based out of the Coney Island Yard and use the same car fleet. Any R160's can be sent to either the (N)(Q) randomly regardless if it's an Alstom or Siemens. The number of Alstoms and Siemens on the (N)(Q) vary everyday and also they both share train assignments for morning/evening/midday. The (N) runs 23 trains in morning, 16 trains midday, and 22 trains afternoon. The (Q) runs 23 trains in morning, 16 trains midday, and 22 trains afternoon. Since they both terminate at Astoria and share the same fleet and yard they can swap cars with no problem at any time. Sometimes a (N) arrives at Astoria northbound can become a southbound (Q) or a northbound (Q) arrives at Astoria northbound and becomes a southbound (N).

Yes! Alstom or Seimens. It does not matter at all. It can be totally random.

I have a better question. why is it, that siemens where put only onto the (N) & (Q)?

coney is the only yard that maintains them... jamaica is alstom only.

Yeah, and it's generally better to keep a particular type of train centralized to one yard (when possible). I really don't understand why the MTA ordered Siemens motors in the first place. Why wouldn't they want to streamline things and order all R160s with Alstom propulsion? Were the Siemens motors just available at a better price?

Yeah, and it's generally better to keep a particular type of train centralized to one yard (when possible). I really don't understand why the MTA ordered Siemens motors in the first place. Why wouldn't they want to streamline things and order all R160s with Alstom propulsion? Were the Siemens motors just available at a better price?

I never understood why more Alstom sets were ordered, but ehh guess there is a reason for some things.

Dunno IF that was the case here, but generally Siemens is a cheap-ass company with decent products. So yeah, it could very well be the case that they were cheaper at the time of building the R160's.

one thing for sure is that the 9803-9942 bacth were supposed to come with the semens system as well but they changed it to alstom and sent these to Jamaica, ALSO these R160's were supposed to go to the (A) line but that changed due to the TA not wanting to fix that power issue (to me its Bullshit) and by default they went to Jamaica yard

Archived