How to improve the 4th Avenue Local During Rush Hours?

alekr

I feel bad for those 4th avenue local riders having to wait for the slow R coming to the station. How can the MTA improve the 4th avenue line since the M is not running to Bay Parkway. Why can't they extend the J to give riders other options. The J could run during AM/PM rush hours.

We've already discussed this (a lot). Before people start debating the hell out of it again, could you please use the search engine to find the old threads about this?

Also, it's worth mentioning that the 4 Avenue Local isn't the only line with 6 minute headways at rush hour (which aren't so terrible).

The (M) was eliminated in Lower Manhattan and South Brooklyn due to very lower ridership. Many (D)(N) riders go to Midtown Manhattan. Those boarding the (R) at the local stops transfer to the (D)(N) at Atlantic-Barclays or (B)(Q) at DeKalb.

The R is infrequent due to the 60th-59th Street Tube being two tracks (sharing two Astoria services N/Q and Queens Blvd service R) as well as the Broadway local tracks above 34th Street - Herald Square. All trains there must run at 10 minute headways to avoid delays and service increases. If the W were to come back, it will still be the same as before. As understood, the R does NOT need a supplement but a service increase. Many Fourth Avenue as well as West End and Sea Beach residents want Midtown Manhattan service. The (J)(Z) and (W) won't help them...

The new (M) gives both Queens Blvd and Myrtle Avenue/Broadway-Brooklyn riders direct acess to Midtown Manhattan (with the (V) being no need anymore) without having to transfer for the (L) at Wyckoff Avenue, (F) at Essex-Delancy Streets, (6)(N)(Q)(R) at Canal Street, and/or (2)(3)(4)(5)(A)(C) at Fulton Street.

That said.

Nope. The (R) runs every 6 minutes during rush hours. As I said, the (R)'s headways aren't that bad. The problem with the (R) is that it's a slow route and many riders depend on it alone (and can't use other lines).

Then that's how delays result on the Broadway Line above both Canal Street and 34th Street - Herald Square...

We might as well have a thread saying, "The whole system sucks because you might have to wait 10 scheduled minutes for a train!!!" rather than all of these individual threads acting like problems are specific to particular lines. It's part of what I like about the subway; it's a system that generally takes advantage of it's imperfect infrastructure in the best way possible. That's what makes these threads annoying; unlike with buses for example, it's really hard to think of a better way to run the trains.

the only option i have in mind to help the rush hours is have the (R) from 95 street to Whitehall Street. This service should be run every 3 trains that head to 71Avenue Continental Avenue.

Ie: 71 Ave bound, 71 Ave bound, Whitehall Street bound, 71 Avenue bound, 71 Avenue bound, Whitehall Street bound.. That should give enough time to do turnaround at Whitehall Street.

Can somebody please explain why we even need to help the (R) during rush hours? People act like everything's wrong with the (R) just because it's so slow. And BTW, turning (R) trains at Whitehall is going to create uneven headways.

Because we need a faster line to supplement it. The fact that it's slow creates delays...

Faster line, like what? Slow and delay-prone aren't the same. The (R) is slow as heck, but it's more or less on-schedule. I know that you disagree, but a T/O on NYCTF has confirmed it.

I will always disagree about that. I'm not going to name the line, as you and I know what it is, but something has to be done.

Because we need a faster line to supplement it. The fact that it's slow creates delays...

Yeah but they don't have enough cars to do it. Plus, ridership doesn't merit a supplement of Lower Manhattan-South Brooklyn service on Fourth Avenue, West End, and Sea Beach lines.

Nope.avi

:lol:

Let's leave it at this lol

Yeah but they don't have enough cars to do it. Plus, ridership doesn't merit a supplement of Lower Manhattan-South Brooklyn service on Fourth Avenue, West End, and Sea Beach lines.

I'm not discussing this whole cars business with the you-know-what. Let's leave it alone, I'm sorry I brought it up...

Then that's how delays result on the Broadway Line above both Canal Street and 34th Street - Herald Square...

If the (N) didn't switch to the local tracks above Canal Street and ran express all the way to 57th, there would be fewer delays on the Broadway Line. Problem is, the (Q) alone can't handle rush hour Astoria line ridershio, so the (N) has to switch. And the switches between Times Square and 34th can't handle both the (N) and (Q), the (N) has to switch somewhere else.

We might as well have a thread saying, "The whole system sucks because you might have to wait 10 scheduled minutes for a train!!!" rather than all of these individual threads acting like problems are specific to particular lines. It's part of what I like about the subway; it's a system that generally takes advantage of it's imperfect infrastructure in the best way possible. That's what makes these threads annoying; unlike with buses for example, it's really hard to think of a better way to run the trains.

Exactly. You have a ton of bus routes that run every 10 minutes (or more), and you don't see a ton of threads complaining about "The Q88 should be improved". If ridership doesn't warrant better headways, then what can you do? Yeah, you should try to make sure the trains remain on schedule, but aside from that, what else can be done? Maybe a little frequency improvement if it's a long enough line with enough standalone segments, but that's it.

Archived