In Texas It Will Soon Be Legal to Drive at a Category 1 Hurricane Speed

mark1447

The thing that speed limits are in place is because that it is to prevent drivers from going nuts and decide to go at a speed probably uncomfortable for the younger rookies and experienced but a bit clumsy elderly people (no offense) driving in the lanes by them. My plans are going to be a fair and balanced approach. As much as we want to get from point A to point B in a snap of the finger, we have to consider in safety and fellow motorists and passengers on the road. I don't have a driver's license just yet, but I am 100% sure that I'll have the same exact opinion if I have a driver's license.

There are a few issues with "speed limits". And there should be a re-education of American motorists, law enforcement and politics.

-The LIE has a Speed "Limit" of 55 MPH. It was designed to interstate standards which is a 70-80mph DESIGN SPEED.

-The General consensus of the meaning of "speed limit" is that you should drive no lower or no higher than 55MPH unless there is traffic. That's not a "limit", that's an absolute speed.

-The speed of traffic is 70-75mph unless there are slowpokes slowing the entire roadway down, especially in the left lane. Slow traffic needs to stay to the right.

-Research shows that when speed limits are raised, accidents decrease.

They should perhaps have a "recommended speed"and enforce that slow drivers stay to the right.

people do 70-75 on the LIE all thru nassau and i rarely see any fender benders. Only the Parkways arent designed for people to go that fast.

People travel on the LIE, 135, and the parkways at 70-75 without much problems. Obviously you let off the gas for certain curves on the Southern State, etc., for example. So following what I said above, The "recommended speed" on the Southern State can be 65MPH, while those who can drive at 70 can stay to the left and not have to worry about slowpokes in their way.

Didn't NJDOT proposed a new 70 MPH limit on I95/NJTP before?

I sure hope they raise it. I was on the NJT yesterday, the the flow of traffic was75-80MPH. I'ts a long boring road, the first step NJ made in the right direction was raising it from 55MPH. But they have to take another step or two. Maybe once they finish widening it.

There are a few issues with "speed limits". And there should be a re-education of American motorists, law enforcement and politics.

-The LIE has a Speed "Limit" of 55 MPH. It was designed to interstate standards which is a 70-80mph DESIGN SPEED.

-The General consensus of the meaning of "speed limit" is that you should drive no lower or no higher than 55MPH unless there is traffic. That's not a "limit", that's an absolute speed.

-The speed of traffic is 70-75mph unless there are slowpokes slowing the entire roadway down, especially in the left lane. Slow traffic needs to stay to the right.

-Research shows that when speed limits are raised, accidents decrease.

They should perhaps have a "recommended speed"and enforce that slow drivers stay to the right.

People travel on the LIE, 135, and the parkways at 70-75 without much problems. Obviously you let off the gas for certain curves on the Southern State, etc., for example. So following what I said above, The "recommended speed" on the Southern State can be 65MPH, while those who can drive at 70 can stay to the left and not have to worry about slowpokes in their way.

I sure hope they raise it. I was on the NJT yesterday, the the flow of traffic was75-80MPH. I'ts a long boring road, the first step NJ made in the right direction was raising it from 55MPH. But they have to take another step or two. Maybe once they finish widening it.

I dunno about the Southern State, that highway is a bit too twisty and turny to have a 65mph limit, in Suffolk yes, since its much straighter out there but in Nassau its a bit too curvy to go that fast.

I dunno about the Southern State, that highway is a bit too twisty and turny to have a 65mph limit, in Suffolk yes, since its much straighter out there but in Nassau its a bit too curvy to go that fast.

But most traffic is going 70MPH anyway.

For LIE foxie it should be 65mph from Hicksville-End of Highway in Riverhead area. Never 70mph though.

Never 70? The speed of traffic is already 70..

theres a whole section between Glen Cove and Route 106/107 with very little exits that can easily be done at 65

In fact, it's done at 70-75 LOL

Still, set things at 65MPH on the LIE (I-495) between Exit 39 Glen Cove Rd./Glen Cove and Exit 73 Riverhead/Eastern Terminus for the sake of motorists safety. I had gone on the LIE for so many times, (not drive), yet I see people do 55MPH and up to 80MPH. but our family usually do a 67.5MPH average on the LIE, however I'd suggest setting at 65 so the 55MPH folks (who are usually careful rookies or elderly/disabled people) could have a better time.

Most people will drive a the speed they're comfortable at, it depends on their vehicle, the road, etc. If the speed limit was raised to 100MPH you're not going to get people going 110mph. They will still go the speed they travel at now. Cars are more stable and control better, older cars used to shake when you got into the 60's -70s range.

Most people will drive a the speed they're comfortable at, it depends on their vehicle, the road, etc. If the speed limit was raised to 100MPH you're not going to get people going 110mph. They will still go the speed they travel at now. Cars are more stable and control better, older cars used to shake when you got into the 60's -70s range.

But that's a very extreme example. We're talking 5-10MPH here, not 30.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived