Possible Bx41 SBS Extension to Laguardia Airport

GreatOne2k

Just putting this out there...

While 125th Street is the biggest PITA in all of Upper Manhattan, remember that all of the express stations are along there, and you'd severely sever this vital connection for the M60. Ridership would plummet.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During the Holiday/ Long Weekend, the friday before it is a parking lot, you want SBS buses getting stuck there.

Guess what that is not everyday so your argument is BS. So you are saying a bus shouldn't run via the highway cause it gets jammed a few times a week utter BS under that logic then why run express buses at all . Sit down invalid point not everyday is friday so 1 day a week is a reason not to run a bus what a joke. Guess what people will use it and love it so fail.

Guess what that is not everyday so your argument is BS. So you are saying a bus shouldn't run via the highway cause it gets jammed a few times a week utter BS under that logic then why run express buses at all . Sit down invalid point not everyday is friday so 1 day a week is a reason not to run a bus what a joke. Guess what people will use it and love it so fail.

Calm down, valid point on his part... and for example, the Go-Nowhere is always jammed.

Just putting this out there:

96th Street is an express stop for the (1)(2)(3). There are many people who wouldn't even think about taking the (2)(3) to 125th Street and waiting in the middle of Harlem for a bus with all their luggage for fear that they'll get robbed/attacked, but 96th and Broadway is still within their safe zone. (It's not a racial thing, it's just that they associate Harlem with guns and violence in general.)

Then they're stupid. I don't think many people still have that association, and the few who do can transfer to the 1 train to 110th or 116th.

I would have to agree with assessment. Quite frankly it starts to get sketchy after 96th street unless you're around 5th Av or Madison or so because Mount Sinai is there, so that is tolerable, but after 99th street forget it.

When were you last on Broadway between 99th and 122nd? Because you frankly don't know what you're talking about.

I don't think so. 96th for one is a bit less congested than 125th and you could have it run non-stop down 1st and 2nd Ave to and from 96th st.

And miss out on connections with the A, D, 4, and 5 trains, not to mention Columbia University?

125th is congested because too much space is taken up by legal and illegal parking (including double parking), in an area with very low car ownership rates and with a huge quantity of transit service. Replace the curb parking lanes with camera-enforced bus lanes and nearly everybody benefits tremendously.

sorry if I came off as such fyi gonowhere does not involve BQE north of LIE thus invalidating his point.

I've been on the BQE north of there, it's just as bad...

Then they're stupid. I don't think many people still have that association, and the few who do can transfer to the 1 train to 110th or 116th.

You just realized this...

When were you last on Broadway between 99th and 122nd? Because you frankly don't know what you're talking about.

I'm by Harlem on a daily basis and I stand by my comment. Just because people don't agree with your assessment of things doesn't mean they don't know what they're talking about. Clearly you have different standards than Gorgor and myself so what looks like a dump to us may look like gold to you. Quite frankly you couldn't pay me to get off of the subway and wait at 125th street. I don't care how the area is changing. Parts of Harlem is still quite run down and dumpy. The most attractive areas are parts of 5th Avenue with the charming brownstones and even some of those are boarded up.

I'm by Harlem on a daily basis and I stand by my comment.

I asked you about Broadway between 99th and 122nd. Broadway between 99th and 122nd is not Harlem. I'll ask again: "When were you last on Broadway between 99th and 122nd?"

Just because people don't agree with your assessment of things doesn't mean they don't know what they're talking about. Clearly you have different standards than Gorgor and myself so what looks like a dump to us may look like gold to you.

Gorgor said that they feared that they'd get robbed or attacked, not that it looks like a dump. I never said that 125th Street was pretty - I don't think it is - but the three subway transfer points along 125th to the M60 aren't dangerous.

Quite frankly you couldn't pay me to get off of the subway and wait at 125th street.

Good, because I'm not offering to pay.

I don't care how the area is changing. Parts of Harlem is still quite run down and dumpy. The most attractive areas are parts of 5th Avenue with the charming brownstones and even some of those are boarded up.

Again, the issue Gorgor raised is safety/security/crime, not attractiveness.

I'm frankly not surprised you wouldn't dream of waiting for a bus on 125th Street - you might encounter someone of a different socioeconomic status, and we all know how you feel about that possibility.

I'm frankly not surprised you wouldn't dream of waiting for a bus on 125th Street - you might encounter someone of a different socioeconomic status, and we all know how you feel about that possibility.

Well, not only that, but he might run into individuals of a certain race that he doesn't seem to be too fond of. :ph34r:

I asked you about Broadway between 99th and 122nd. Broadway between 99th and 122nd is not Harlem. I'll ask again: "When were you last on Broadway between 99th and 122nd?"

Okay, fine so if you want to be technical then call it Morningside Heights...

Different name same *ish as far as I'm concerned. Some would still at least part of that Harlem, but as you wish.

Gorgor said that they feared that they'd get robbed or attacked, not that it looks like a dump. I never said that 125th Street was pretty - I don't think it is - but the three subway transfer points along 125th to the M60 aren't dangerous.

Again, the issue Gorgor raised is safety/security/crime, not attractiveness.

lol... Seedy is seedy... There are dumps all over the city and they draw bums and folks looking to scam and rob. There are parts of the city like Hell's Kitchen for example that are supposedly yuppified that I would call utter dumps, so how an area looks certainly plays a part and usually run down areas have the crime element attached to them. There are even grimy areas of Midtown that I avoid, so like I said, it is clear that our standards for what is safe and what isn't are far different. As far as I'm concerned scam artists and thieves can be of any color and I see them every day so the skin color thing is immaterial to me. I'm just not putting myself in a compromised situation unnecessarily.

Different name same *ish as far as I'm concerned. Some would still at least part of that Harlem, but as you wish.

Morningside Heights is more similar to the UWS than it is to Harlem. Just sayin'

lol... Seedy is seedy... There are dumps all over the city and they draw bums and folks looking to scam and rob. There are parts of the city like Hell's Kitchen for example that are supposedly yuppified that I would call utter dumps, so how an area looks certainly plays a part and usually run down areas have the crime element attached to them. There are even grimy areas of Midtown that I avoid, so like I said, it is clear that our standards for what is safe and what isn't are far different. As far as I'm concerned scam artists and thieves can be of any color and I see them every day so the skin color thing is immaterial to me. I'm just not putting myself in a compromised situation unnecessarily.

Key word: Usually, not always. Chinatown is grimy, but it isn't unsafe.

Do not take his bait calm down.

And miss out on connections with the A, D, 4, and 5 trains, not to mention Columbia University?

125th is congested because too much space is taken up by legal and illegal parking (including double parking), in an area with very low car ownership rates and with a huge quantity of transit service. Replace the curb parking lanes with camera-enforced bus lanes and nearly everybody benefits tremendously.

125th should become manhattan's fulton mall basically.

Morningside Heights is more similar to the UWS than it is to Harlem. Just sayin'

lol.... I'd disagree with that... I don't hear about random shootings on the Upper West Side. I have with Morningside Heights and even with the hipsters flocking there they still treat it like they're in the ghetto.

Key word: Usually, not always. Chinatown is grimy, but it isn't unsafe.

lol... As far as I'm concerned, a place that's grimy is just as bad as a place ravaged with crime. Both equally depressing and I don't want to be in either.

lol.... I'd disagree with that... I don't hear about random shootings on the Upper West Side. I have with Morningside Heights and even with the hipsters flocking there they still treat it like they're in the ghetto.

lol... As far as I'm concerned, a place that's grimy is just as bad as a place ravaged with crime. Both equally depressing and I don't want to be in either.

Via 8 just stop do not talk more about this grimy stuff save it for city-data

Broadway between 99th and 110th isn't typically considered Morningside Heights - it's simply the Upper West Side. Although these days even Morningside Heights proper, north of 110th, is often considered part of the Upper West Side.

Not anybody who's at all familiar with the area.

I've already asked you twice: when were you last on Broadway between 99th and 122nd?

You are welcome to travel to whichever parts of the city you choose, for whatever reasons you choose. But if we're discussing whether an area is crime-ridden, then I would suggest that crime statistics are more relevant than your feelings about what looks run down. The fact is that the risk of being a crime victim while transferring at 125th and Lenox is very low.

I think you have your geography mixed up. If you're thinking of the area east of Morningside Park, that isn't Morningside Heights (it's in the valley!).

Morningside Heights is dominated by Columbia University and a cluster of smaller educational institutions. Much of the housing in the area is occupied by students and faculty.

As for the Upper West Side, shootings can happen anywhere:

http://www.wpix.com/...0,6451124.story

http://www.dnainfo.c...beef-up-patrols

Then don't go. But "grimy" and "crime-ravaged" don't mean the same thing. (And, for the record, Morningside Heights is neither, as you would know if you were at all familiar with the area.)

Broadway between 99th and 110th isn't typically considered Morningside Heights - it's simply the Upper West Side. Although these days even Morningside Heights proper, north of 110th, is often considered part of the Upper West Side.

Not anybody who's at all familiar with the area.

I've already asked you twice: when were you last on Broadway between 99th and 122nd?

You are welcome to travel to whichever parts of the city you choose, for whatever reasons you choose. But if we're discussing whether an area is crime-ridden, then I would suggest that crime statistics are more relevant than your feelings about what looks run down. The fact is that the risk of being a crime victim while transferring at 125th and Lenox is very low.

I think you have your geography mixed up. If you're thinking of the area east of Morningside Park, that isn't Morningside Heights (it's in the valley!).

Morningside Heights is dominated by Columbia University and a cluster of smaller educational institutions. Much of the housing in the area is occupied by students and faculty.

As for the Upper West Side, shootings can happen anywhere:

http://www.wpix.com/...0,6451124.story

http://www.dnainfo.c...beef-up-patrols

Then don't go. But "grimy" and "crime-ravaged" don't mean the same thing. (And, for the record, Morningside Heights is neither, as you would know if you were at all familiar with the area.)

Excuse me but I've lived in New York almost all of my life and I'm very familiar with Manhattan. I travel all over the place so I don't need you giving me a lecture about what areas I know and don't know. The fact still remains that just because you view the place one way doesn't mean that I have to agree with you. You can cite all of the stats you want. I don't give a ****. My stance still remains. Like I said I pass by the area regularly and whatever the hell you want to call it, I consider it a dump and that's my opinion, which I'm entitled to. You sound like some sort of real estate agent trying to make this place out to be more than what it is. Why am I not shocked... :lol:

Yeah and while some would consider that to be the Upper West Side, many wouldn't.

When I went up to Columbia, I found it to be very much like the Upper West Side. I guess I might as well break out some stats:

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Morningside-Heights-New-York-NY.html

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Upper-West-Side-New-York-NY.html

The one for Harlem included East Harlem, so I'll just put up a few Harlem zip codes:

http://www.city-data.com/zips/10026.html

http://www.city-data.com/zips/10030.html

http://www.city-data.com/zips/10039.html

Morningside Heights is more similar to the UWS than it is to Harlem, especially once you factor out the Columbia students who bring down the median income.

But of course, it's like talking to a wall because you'll never get him to change his mind. (The same way he ademantly insisted he was right about the pickup/drop-off rules on the express buses, and the same way he ademantly insists that riding some routes one time makes him more of an expert than a daily rider).

Excuse me but I've lived in New York almost all of my life and I'm very familiar with Manhattan. I travel all over the place so I don't need you giving me a lecture about what areas I know and don't know. The fact still remains that just because you view the place one way doesn't mean that I have to agree with you. You can cite all of the stats you want. I don't give a ****. My stance still remains. Like I said I pass by the area regularly and whatever the hell you want to call it, I consider it a dump and that's my opinion, which I'm entitled to. You sound like some sort of real estate agent trying to make this place out to be more than what it is. Why am I not shocked... :lol:

Yeah and while some would consider that to be the Upper West Side, many wouldn't.

I am quite familiar with Morningside Heights and the upper Upper West Side, and checkmatechamp13 obviously is as well. You clearly are not.

You still have not told me when you were last in the area, and this is my fourth time asking. I take that to mean "never."

When I went up to Columbia, I found it to be very much like the Upper West Side. I guess I might as well break out some stats:

http://www.city-data...ew-York-NY.html

http://www.city-data...ew-York-NY.html

The one for Harlem included East Harlem, so I'll just put up a few Harlem zip codes:

http://www.city-data...zips/10026.html

http://www.city-data...zips/10030.html

http://www.city-data...zips/10039.html

Morningside Heights is more similar to the UWS than it is to Harlem, especially once you factor out the Columbia students who bring down the median income.

But of course, it's like talking to a wall because you'll never get him to change his mind. (The same way he ademantly insisted he was right about the pickup/drop-off rules on the express buses, and the same way he ademantly insists that riding some routes one time makes him more of an expert than a daily rider).

Wow, that's fantastic resource - thanks!

So, west of Amsterdam (south of 110th) or Broadway (north of 110th), here are the median 2009 incomes by block group:

90-94: $77,921

94-98: $69,548

98-102: $71,832

102-106: $74,261

106-110: $73,425

110-112: $83,131

112-114: $90,191

114-116: $80,755

116-122: $116,619

Household incomes tend to go up, not down, moving north into Morningside Heights. Getting back to the M60, and using median household income as a very rough proxy for desirability of transferring, how is 96th ($69,548) a preferable transfer point compared to 110th (border of $73,425 and $83,131) or 116th (border of $80,755 and $116,619)? West of Amsterdam/Broadway, the block group containing 96th is the lowest-income block group between 66th and 122nd!

Archived