Should Department stores be open on major holidays i.e Thanksgiving X-MAS?

Shortline Bus

Guys. Now we in another holiday season, here an important question? Should Department Stores even be on days such as Thanksgiving and Christmas Day? Now that long ago, on those festive days particuarly *no major department stores* were open on those days. Now in this era of a 24/7/365 society, a growing number of department stores are now requiring their employees to work (some cases no extra "holiday" pay)on Thanksgiving. Almost all of the big box stores i.e Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, etc are now open on Thanksgiving. Is Christmas Day next? What you guys think? Here story of employees view of working on Thanksgiving Day.

http://www.huffingto...nk3&pLid=237351

That's what I mean. No holiday pay as it is for many people that work in retail. I can't possibly be in support of retail companies compelling their wage earning employees to work on holidays without holiday pay. Which is exactly what these employers are trying to push if they are to open on holidays.

In itself if a company sees it to remain open on major holidays is one thing. But most likely if some get their way they will be not paying their employees who work holidays their due.

That's what I mean. No holiday pay as it is for many people that work in retail. I can't possibly be in support of retail companies compelling their wage earning employees to work on holidays without holiday pay. Which is exactly what these employers are trying to push if they are to open on holidays.

In itself if a company sees it to remain open on major holidays is one thing. But most likely if some get their way they will be not paying their employees who work holidays their due.

True. At least for instance working for the (MTA) or EMS Services such as NYPD, FDNY, etc. they get holiday pay (and descent extra/overtime wages as well). This is example where unions are needed at the box stores. I am sure if Sam Walton was still alive, *none of his Walmarts* would be open on Thanksgiving. What concern me is that next in near future, Christmas Day, stores will be open. Even if you dont celebrate Christmas, there should be a day or two in a year, where employees can spend time with their families and stores (other than maybe seven-elevens lol). In a sense the CEO's of these multi-billion dollar box/department stores are becoming this. :angry:

I'm split between this issue, If I was employed by anyone of these retailers, I would enjoy the extra holiday pay. Hell, even if I didn't recieve extra pay I would still want to earn some money. Even as a consumer I enjoy the convenience of just having the ability to say, run into Kmart on Thanksgiving and pick up some essentials. On the other hand as was mentioned, holiday pay is becoming increasingly rare, and it's come to the point where if you don't come in on a holiday, you're out of here.

I'm honestly in favor of stores being open the holidays, due to the reasons I stated above. Also, keep in mind that I'm a 16 year old single male that is practically begging for employment, so I would have different priorities than say a 46 year old female that has been employed for 13 years and just wants a day of with her family.

There's no reason for stores to be open on major holidays such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. People need time to rest and be with their families.

However, I have worked on Christmas before but I didnt care because im Jewish and dont celebrate christmas so to me its just another day ;)

There's no reason for stores to be open on major holidays such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. People need time to rest and be with their families.

However, I have worked on Christmas before but I didnt care because im Jewish and dont celebrate christmas so to me its just another day ;)

I agree on Department Stores being closed the whole day on Thanksgiving and X-Mas. I like Best Buy approach to this situation by having a 1201AM Blockbuster movie type opening on so called "Black Friday." This way, it gives the employees the entire day off.

On supermarkets and mega box stores like Wal Mart and Target(which most of their stores now also have supermarkets), I can understand opening for a few hours on Thanksgiving and shut down by 12 Noon. However for Christmas Day ideally all supermarkets/box and department stores should be shut. If on Christmas Morning you need milk for X-mas Dinner, go to a bodega lol if you live in NYC. Or rest of America go to a local 7 Eleven, Wawa, etc.

Great for you Joe! Problem is now sadly most of the box/department stores do not pay overtime to work Thanksgiving.

where I used to work (big box retail store), they do as well as christmas, new years day, labour day, july 4th and i think one other day i cant remember.

where I used to work (big box retail store), they do as well as christmas, new years day, labour day, july 4th and i think one other day i cant remember.

Well that was then, this is now. Especially Wal-mart, they don't feel obligated to give these employees overtime.

Well that was then, this is now. Especially Wal-mart, they don't feel obligated to give these employees overtime.

I worked for one of Wall Mart's competitors up until a month ago, and where I worked they still gave extra pay for those holidays. It was time and a half just those few days the store was open on a holiday.

Easter.

I worked for one of Wall Mart's competitors up until a month ago, and where I worked they still gave extra pay for those holidays. It was time and a half just those few days the store was open on a holiday.

To be honest with you, Target is a much more tolerable workplace for many reasons in comparison to Walmart.

Way I see it, everyone doesn't celebrate the same holidays, so I see no reason why dept. stores should be closed.... There's nothin saying all dept. stores should be closed on said holidays.... I hate to sound like a nig' here, but - get money however & whenever you can..... That goes for business owners & employees..... Supermarkets being closed on christmas sounds asinine to me... At that rate, you may as well close gas stations & hospitals too..... Don't tell people where to spend their money.....

Great for you Joe! Problem is now sadly most of the box/department stores do not pay overtime to work Thanksgiving.

True, but that's a totally different issue in regards to the question you originally asked though.....

Way I see it, everyone doesn't celebrate the same holidays, so I see no reason why dept. stores should be closed.... There's nothin saying all dept. stores should be closed on said holidays.... I hate to sound like a nig' here, but - get money however & whenever you can..... That goes for business owners & employees..... Supermarkets being closed on christmas sounds asinine to me... At that rate, you may as well close gas stations & hospitals too..... Don't tell people where to spend their money.....

Finally someone who understands. Now if I could use that arguement in a letter to my local TA regarding the lack of sevice on holidays.

Having the stores be closed on holidays like this is good for those who actually believe in spending the holidays with loved one. I say keep em closed on the major holidays. They're what...3-5 days outta the year? I don't see the importance. Now....for the people that have to work these days or like working these days; more power to you. Hope you're getting your pay differentials. The way I see it is nobody gets me on a holiday without paying me the extra rate and too many of these companies look for a way around it for god knows why.

Now it is true that not everybody celebrates the same holidays. But from what I've seen Jewish places of business are closed on most Jewish holidays. If they can do that there's no reason why other places of business who's customers and employees majorly celebrate things like Christmas and Thanksgiving can't close on said days.

Way I see it, everyone doesn't celebrate the same holidays, so I see no reason why dept. stores should be closed....

Yeah but the thinking is that these are American holidays and American companies with American workers.... Do you see a pattern here? It's more about tradition and culture than anything else.

Yeah but the thinking is that these are American holidays and American companies with American workers.... Do you see a pattern here? It's more about tradition and culture than anything else.

Thank You. In a country where still 75% of the citizens call themselves "Christian" at least 1 day (ideally too Thanksgiving)the major box stores and departments stores should close on Christmas. Up until last couple of years particuarly *all box stores was closed on both Thanksgiving and Christmas.*

About police/fire/nurses/ems workers that an apples and oranges issue as they aware taking the job they prepared to work 365 days a year.

Thank You. In a country where still 75% of the citizens call themselves "Christian" at least 1 day (ideally too Thanksgiving)the major box stores and departments stores should close on Christmas. Up until last couple of years particuarly *all box stores was closed on both Thanksgiving and Christmas.*

About police/fire/nurses/ems workers that an apples and oranges issue as they aware taking the job they prepared to work 365 days a year.

We're one of the few countries doing this nonsense. It seems like we're becoming so obsessed with making a few dollars that we're fine throwing away any traditions and values that we have in this country. I was really surprised to see how many places were open when I went to dinner in the city on Thanksgiving. What's really pathetic about all of this is we've turned into a country that's obsessed with living to work rather than working to live.

Replace "American" with traditional Caucasian culture and you hit the nail on the head.

What does traditional "Caucasian" culture have to do with anything?? Americans of various backgrounds celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas. These are holidays centered around family and people regardless of race or ethnicity.

Man this is turning into do you celebrate christmas or not debate(which i did not mean to)lol. Was making my take that IMO it would be nice if almost all of the national box/department stores was closed for 2 days of year i.e Thanksgiving and Christmas like it was until a couple of years.

Even Sam Walton until he passed would order his wal mart stores (including 24/7 ones)closed on Christmas and by 12 Noon on Thanksgiving.

That my asking your views.

We're one of the few countries doing this nonsense. It seems like we're becoming so obsessed with making a few dollars that we're fine throwing away any traditions and values that we have in this country. I was really surprised to see how many places were open when I went to dinner in the city on Thanksgiving. What's really pathetic about all of this is we've turned into a country that's obsessed with living to work rather than working to live.

What does traditional "Caucasian" culture have to do with anything?? Americans of various backgrounds celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas. These are holidays centered around family and people regardless of race or ethnicity.

Taking away the "Christian" angle of Christmas (turbo seems to forget many people are not "Casucasian" are Christian)and Culture issue of Thanksgiving. Liberals like Turbo don't appreicate culture and tradition of this nation(i.e not slavery either) Plus even on a non secular isssue, we in America are overworked and suffering from huge health problems from being overworked. There a reason people in South America and Europe have among the world's longest life spans. That another point of why for 2 days IMO, Thanksgiving and Christmas it would be great to give their employees off, to close for most or all of the day.

Archived