Train Simulator 2013

Now i know that here in the forums that-basically due to multiple subway mods available-Sims like Trainz and BVE are very popular. But me, i do have a soft spot for railroads. Ten years ago, i purchased Microsoft Train Simulator so ill be able to run Acela Express and The HHP-8 engine along the NEC between Philly and DC. Ive used it so much that the discs got damaged. Yesterday, I installed Train Simulator 2013 and 2 add-on packs(Acela Express and Northeast Corridor) and i must say......WHOA!!!!!

This on by far is one of the most realistic and detailed of them all!. The NEC covers NYC to Philly-buildings, stations and all-pretty frakkin accurately! Penn Station has all 21 tracks! every stop along the line is there! Youre able to run Acela Express and also trains pulled by AEM-7's in the "Phase 5" scheme(waiting for a possible HHP-8 add on). Even weather conditions are detailed(during rain, using your wipers are a MUST!). Youre even able to attach an XBox controller to your comp. I wanna know if anyone else has tried this simulator out? Heres 2 screenshots i took:

2012-12-29_00002_zpsbe74ca29.jpg

2012-12-29_00001_zpsf7af55d8.jpg

and yes, when in a station, doors do open and close with working exterior indication lights!

• 5 weeks later...
I just learned how to repaint engines!!

2013-02-01_00003_zps3ea0733f.jpg

I took the Amtrak AEM-7 and made these two. I still have a lot to detail, and i really want Comet coaches(Comet II's and higher) and EMUs (Like NJT's Arrows and SEPTA's Silverliner V's) But maybe down the road ill learn how to make rolling stock from scratch.

And if you go onto the Steam Railworks forums, theres a post (started by me "9of13") where a few postst down someone posted a link to a Download for Genesis P42 NJT repaints (must have the Amtrak Genesis P42DC download add-on) and NJT painted coaches. 

@ Kentsfield, true on the lack of Commuter sets, but the service can be simulated and all the stations for such simulation is there. As you see from my pic, users like us are able too add those on whether from dl's created by others or us. Personally, i literally started repainting yesterday and still have a lot to detail to those two AEM-7 engines.  

I just learned how to repaint engines!!

2013-02-01_00003_zps3ea0733f.jpg

I took the Amtrak AEM-7 and made these two. I still have a lot to detail, and i really want Comet coaches(Comet II's and higher) and EMUs (Like NJT's Arrows and SEPTA's Silverliner V's) But maybe down the road ill learn how to make rolling stock from scratch.

And if you go onto the Steam Railworks forums, theres a post (started by me "9of13") where a few postst down someone posted a link to a Download for Genesis P42 NJT repaints (must have the Amtrak Genesis P42DC download add-on) and NJT painted coaches. 

@ Kentsfield, true on the lack of Commuter sets, but the service can be simulated and all the stations for such simulation is there. As you see from my pic, users like us are able too add those on whether from dl's created by others or us. Personally, i literally started repainting yesterday and still have a lot to detail to those two AEM-7 engines.  

You could make NJT EMU's from the Class 380s or any of the British DMUs.

You could make NJT EMU's from the Class 380s or any of the British DMUs.

See the thing is, theres a huge difference in performance between Diesel and Electric. I wouldnt even use one of the German electric engines to model the ALP-46s (besides the difference in couplers). Something closer enough-like using the AEM7 in place of the APL44, is something more along the lines im looking for.

I would, however, edit something slightly and create a scenario making that set a "demo". Like a Class 377 demo-ing for NJT. 

It is a great program. I stopped playing though, once I started playing with the real things. Eventually I'll get back to it; I love freight trains. 

The Horseshoe Curve and Altoona scenarios are great. 

I'm starting to love the London-Brighton. Still getting use to operation from the left side of the cab, but its operation is the closest I've found outside the NEC scenarios to operation a commuter rr line.

I'm a passenger train man myself. never really got into freight.

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Dont mean to bump an old thread, but i gotta give an update on my experience.

I recently got an XBOX controller-well, one officially licensed 3rd party one- and with the exception of the AEM-7's Alerter system not functioning at all (reported this to RailWorks)-using it is pretty fun! You cant map the buttons yourself, nor have every single feature for any engine available, but its made playing this a little more fun for me. Whatever isnt mapped on the controller can still be used on the keyboard(like activating Acela's tilt or destination signs for example).

The controller i have is sweet! its smaller that the actual XBOX one-which is very comfortable-but also lights up. 

Little things like this amuse me kinda. LOL

• 3 months later...

I finally convinced myself to spend the money needed for the NEC expansion, and boy can I say it was well worth it =). I haven't played any of the scenarios yet, as I have been busy screwing around on Free Roam mode, but let me say that making trains a lot longer than they are in real life is fun:

More to come soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived