1 wounded in California school shooting; student in custody

BM5 via Woodhaven

(CNN) -- One student was wounded Thursday in a shooting at a Southern California high school and another student, believed to be the shooter, was in custody, authorities said.
Investigators recovered a shotgun they believe was used in the incident at Taft High School in Taft, said Ray Pruitt of the Kern County Sheriff's Office.
Pruitt didn't know whether there was any relationship or connection between the shooter and the victim, he told CNN.
The victim was airlifted to a hospital in Bakersfield, Pruitt said.

The shooting occurred in the science building, but Pruitt said he did not know if it took place in a classroom or the hallway.

Authorities were still in the process of searching and securing the school.

"There are still some students on campus," Pruitt said late Thursday morning. "We're still searching from building to building because we want to make sure we don't have suspects outstanding."

U.S. Rep. Kevin McCarthy expressed sympathies to the Taft community, which is in his district.

"I am deeply saddened and troubled by news of the shooting," the Republican lawmaker said.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

My Opinion: SMH......

Condolences to the family and hoping for a speedy recovery to the victim. As for this either this was an argument that lead to the shooting or it had something to do with drugs or owing money. That's my guess.

Apparently the shooter had been suspended from campus for carrying a hit list.

UPDATED, 12:37 p.m. PT: At least one student was shot when a classmate opened fire at a high school in California on Thursday.

The shooting occurred in the science building at Taft Union High School in Taft, Calif., at approximately 9 a.m. local time, a Kern County Sheriff's official told Yahoo News.

The suspected shooter—a 16-year-old male student at the school—did not show up for the start of first period, police say. He entered the school with a 12-gauge shotgun and interrupted his first-period class, shooting one student police say he was targeting.

The victim, also 16, was airlifted to Kern Medical Center in Bakersfield, Calif., with a shotgun wound to the upper right chest. He's in critical but stable condition.

The gunman then called a second student's name in the 28-person class and fired again, but missed, Kern County Sheriff Donny Youngblood said. A teacher and a campus supervisor engaged the shooter in conversation inside the classroom, school officials said, and were able to persuade him to put down the shotgun. The shooter was then taken into police custody.

The teacher was treated at the scene for a pellet wound to the head. (It's unclear whether the wound was from birdshot, Youngblood said.) Another student who was near the shotgun when it was fired was taken to a local hospital, where she was treated for hearing loss.

During a press briefing outside the school on Thursday afternoon, reporters asked police whether the suspected shooter had been suspended from school last year for carrying what parents told them was a "hit list." Police would not confirm those reports.

According to the school's website, "two campus supervisors and a Kern County Sheriff monitor the campus before, during, and after school." But officials said the armed officer who is normally on campus was "snowed in" and not on duty at the time of the shooting. About 1,000 students attend the high school.

ABC's Kero-Bakersfield affiliate said it received calls from students who were hiding in closets inside the school, located about 120 miles north of Los Angeles.

The school was evacuated while sheriff and fire personnel conducted room-to-room searches. One student told the network that he was in another building participating in an "active shooter drill" when the shooting occurred.

Read More: Source

Rev up those fryers, 'cause I am sure hungry for all the "I like having the government's hand up my ass, and that includes guns" arguments to start flying.

You forgot the "The government is gonna take over the world and we'll lose America to libbies".

I went to Junior High School and HIgh school in the 1990s in NYC where there were one or two armed cops who would occasionally hang out in the school and patrol the outside because so many students had guns, there were shootings, and kids getting kicked out getting caught with guns in school. They would have their girlfriends smuggle the guns in because they would be searched alot but not their girls, or they would hide the guns outside of the school in close proximity to the exits.Kids shot other kids often over beef. This isnt anything foreign to our culture, people just havnt been used to it being so common as it used to be. Wasnt there a good amount of high schools in NYC back then that had metal detectors as well?

See, that's why I don't get this uproar against cops/retired cops/veterans patrolling the schools and being armed. This is far more sensible than 'arming everyone'. If the gun grabbers wants better measures against campus/school shootings, then have armed guards to deter the kids from bringing in the guns.

So sorry to make this a political issue, but it is the government going overboard and yes, exploiting these incidents as reasons to further deny us from our rights to own a gun legally. (again ftr: I support background checks and mental evaluations of the person before being allowed to own a gun and a ban on the super huge 100 round drum magazines. And also all this does nothing if criminals still find ways to get their guns Illegally.)

Archived