New York City Police Department TMC RTS #9598 (NYCT #8400)

rtsbusman1997

Hello there. I havent talked much but I thought that my first topic would be about something that has peeved me for a while: #8400. I really havent been able to find out much other than that it went immeadly to the Housing Police and later the NYPD.  Anyone know why? What about the specs or its purpose?

Also, does anybody have more than just the pics that you can find on the net? Thanks.

Is #9598 the only RTS that the NYPD has, or has had for many years? Because I have a photo of one from the 2004 Columbus Day Parade.

No, they have/had a few. They do use some for training at Floyd Bennett Field and others to carry officers around. Some got scrapped over the years, I think.

1991 actually. Funny how this bus never saw a day in TA service.

I remember someone said years ago that it had a perimeter seating arrangement. I didnt even know RTS'es had that layout. Never seen one, either.

Bus was delivered in '90 and went straight to police. As of now, it is on lease.

Ordered by the NYPD, i'd guess? That's the only new city bus I've ever seen them with.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Eric B" data-cid="636376" data-time="1358995010"><p>

So if that's from '91, then was it the end of the 80-8300 series? (and not the beginning of the 8400 series, which were from '93).<br />

I used to follow the UTC roster back then, and don't remember hearing of that one.</p></blockquote>

The '90-'91 order was 8000-8400. 8397 was the one delivered as the methanol powered bus and 8398-99 were the 2 CNG units

The 1993 TMC RTS order was #8401-8567 (#8567 being another CNG unit).

So if that's from '91, then was it the end of the 80-8300 series? (and not the beginning of the 8400 series, which were from '93).

I used to follow the UTC roster back then, and don't remember hearing of that one.

UTC must not have included 8400, then. I remembered 8399 as the last one of that order. UTC usually lists buses that were given to the Police or whoever after running in passanger service; so if this one went straight to the police, it was probably left off. Or maybe on a side note somewhere, under the other number.

Archived