Legislator Solages Ride the Bus in Response to Compliants

You think that is bad if you want the true meaning of unreliable try buses in manhattan.

I feel your pain they don't get to major points directly. So other than bad lights what makes the buses slow really slow? you never really explained what would make the buses quicker at all.

I have. Never had to wait long, its just they are very slow, sometimes walking is quicker. But sometimes you'd rather take the bus to not have to deal with the heat or cold, at least the climate control is always on and the drivers have control of their vehicle. :D

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think school bus drivers recieve more training.

Well they do transport CHILDREN!  You still haven't told me what you do for a living?  I know you are buddy buddy with Houd who feels school bus drivers aren't "real bus drivers" but I'm not concerned with a bitter old man's opinions.  On the other hand, why is it you think highly trained people who are trusted with "the most precious cargo on the road" are some sort of hacks.  Get real, stop bashing drivers when you don't have the training ANY of them have.

The rest of your post (as well as in the other thread) are just your classic nice sucks, combined with assumptions.

@Pinepower Even here in The Netherlands Veolia does train their drivers to drive as fast possible within the speed limit. That includes slamming the brakes at stopping lights. But does that have anything to do with less is more? No. Because a few high standard and highly ranked bus companies here that are about as expensive as (MTA) when it comes to subsidies train their drivers exactly the same (and in Belgium and Germany all companies train like that too). They do that to spruce up the timeliness as much as possible because of heavy traffic. If they can get as fast as possible (and sometimes that means trying to get through the traffic lights if still possible) then they win some time they'd otherwise lose because of the normally accepted slower driving method. I mean, sometimes it can save up to 10 minutes (depending on the length of the route) to drive like companies like Veolia do. Also, on roads without (much) traffic lights it speeds up the driving time b/w bus stops.

But of course, I'm not trying to suck up to them or anything. Every company has a few really sh*tty drivers or rotten apples as we call them here. It happens, that's life. And of course I do agree that Veolia provides better service here than on LI.

I'm curious, does anyone know what training EBT or Suffolk Bus drivers get before they let experienced drivers do transit?  Considering they both have school bus operations and both train people "off the street" with no CDL.

It's funny that PinePower says School Bus drivers might recieve more training than school bus drivers as I think about that comment comment this morning.  Veolia only hires people with a CDL according to their job ads.  So anyone going into Veolia already either went to a CDL school or were trained by a school bus company (and probably have expereince because the school bus companies I know make you pay them back for training if you don't stay a year).  Drivers coming into NICE already have a certain amount of driving time and NICE's program is sort of a "finishing school."  As much as Hound would like you to believe school bus drivers "aren't real bus drivers" it's a crock of shit, probably something he started telling himself over the years to feel better about whatever was going on in his life. The truth is there is not much difference between driving a transit bus and a school bus, it's just a learning curve.

People want to compare NICE training with (MTA) LIB training but the thing they fail to see is (MTA) LIB drivers went through the same training all (MTA) drivers did which took drivers in off the street and got them their CDL, NICE drivers already have a CDL and that portion of the training was done somewhere else.  Sure NICE could have 6 or 8 week training like they put (MTA) LIB drivers with a CDL and a years experience (isn't that the requiremnents LIB had?), the same training drivers off the street without a CDL go through but NICE seems to be doing a great job not following the inefficiencies (MTA) LIB had.

Of course if someone is really desperate to get there on time...

manganocabs_zps2b613aeb.jpg

Can we expect to see Suozzi ads on the MTA? B-):D

Maybe it was Veolia's plan to run bus service into the ground so they can buy the cab company and make people rely on their cab service? :D

Actually I think people liked (MTA) LIB because there were more standards. They knew drivers were being trained just like NYC bus drivers were

Actually, I don't think people knew or cared where LIB drivers were trained. lol  NYC Is a different animal than Nassau County so who cares if the drivers were trained for work they wouldn't be doing with a little bit of Long Island Bus training thrown for a fraction of the training class.

They knew drivers were being trained just like NYC bus drivers were (and often were trained in NYC facilities) and felt they were part of a Regional Bus System (which was supposed to be formed until Mangano decided to f*k it up).

Again I don't think your average rider knew or cared about that.  What's your obsession with wanting to be part of the MTA?  The regional system didn't go through, it's time to get over it!  (MTA) So, you say people liked being part of a regional system that never went through?  That's stupid, again I don't think the average rider knew or cared.  Besides, know they're part of a worldwide company!  LMAO!

Fact is had he paid the (MTA) their reasonable subsidy, we'd still be receiving more service hours, with a higher standard and professionalism of service.

For the love of god, really?  How long are we going to whine about this? 

Let's say you've been getting your coffee at the same place every morning would for the past decade, the price goes up every year until now it's $6 for a cup.  It's great coffee but not worth $6, so you ask the manager what is up?  He's got 3 daughters in college, just bought a new summer home, the guys behind the counter make over a $100 grand a year pouring coffee etc etc, someone's got to pay for it.  You tell him $6 is insane, you're paying a dollar, that's all you can afford and other places are charging around what you can afford.  The gets very defensive and tells you that he told you what it costs and if you want it for a dollar, he can only have one guy pouring coffee in the morning and can afford only one bag of beans because of his expenses.  If you want coffee everyone will get a small cup and wait in a long line, hopefully you get in line before the coffee is gone.

You think that is ridiculous, you think the coffee shops prices are out of control and he refuses to cut prices or is incompetent.  Remeber you cannot afford anymore than $1 a morning for coffee  so you price 3 other coffee shops on the block for your 20oz coffee, one says $1.20, another $1.30, but you find the 3rd who says they can give you a 16oz for $0.89, you might be giving up a little bit but you still get your coffee in the morning and a lot more than at your original coffee shop?  What do you do?  Find the $6 a morning you don't have to pay the reasonable for morning coffee?

So yes Mangano has "saved" bus service for saying no to the MTA's plan of cutting half the service. But what kind of service are we actually getting?

Not a skeleton service?

Today, another incident. Explain this. I'm waiting at the n35 bus stop on Grand Ave, by Sunrise. The 7:45pm out of Baldwin Harbor (last bus of the light) is sitting in traffic some distance away (at least 3-4 bus lengths). The light turns green, I put my hand up to flag the bus just in case, and she KEEPS ON GOING. I guess she didn't feel like being stuck at the light. I run across Sunrise screaming, she pulls into the LIRR bus stop to pick up someone, then KEEPS GOING. Bus 1705. A kind young man saw what happen and gave me a lift to catch up to the bus. I asked her whyy she didn't stop, no response. 

She proceeded to miss another guy's stop when he was trying to exit the rear door. This is beyond unacceptable. 

I've never seen such unprofessional drivers in my life. And very nasty too. Definitely far from "nice".

Can we expect to see Suozzi ads on the MTA? B-):D

Maybe it was Veolia's plan to run bus service into the ground so they can buy the cab company and make people rely on their cab service? :D

Actually, I don't think people knew or cared where LIB drivers were trained. lol  NYC Is a different animal than Nassau County so who cares if the drivers were trained for work they wouldn't be doing with a little bit of Long Island Bus training thrown for a fraction of the training class.

Again I don't think your average rider knew or cared about that.  What's your obsession with wanting to be part of the MTA?  The regional system didn't go through, it's time to get over it!  (MTA) So, you say people liked being part of a regional system that never went through?  That's stupid, again I don't think the average rider knew or cared.  Besides, know they're part of a worldwide company!  LMAO!

For the love of god, really?  How long are we going to whine about this? 

Let's say you've been getting your coffee at the same place every morning would for the past decade, the price goes up every year until now it's $6 for a cup.  It's great coffee but not worth $6, so you ask the manager what is up?  He's got 3 daughters in college, just bought a new summer home, the guys behind the counter make over a $100 grand a year pouring coffee etc etc, someone's got to pay for it.  You tell him $6 is insane, you're paying a dollar, that's all you can afford and other places are charging around what you can afford.  The gets very defensive and tells you that he told you what it costs and if you want it for a dollar, he can only have one guy pouring coffee in the morning and can afford only one bag of beans because of his expenses.  If you want coffee everyone will get a small cup and wait in a long line, hopefully you get in line before the coffee is gone.

You think that is ridiculous, you think the coffee shops prices are out of control and he refuses to cut prices or is incompetent.  Remeber you cannot afford anymore than $1 a morning for coffee  so you price 3 other coffee shops on the block for your 20oz coffee, one says $1.20, another $1.30, but you find the 3rd who says they can give you a 16oz for $0.89, you might be giving up a little bit but you still get your coffee in the morning and a lot more than at your original coffee shop?  What do you do?  Find the $6 a morning you don't have to pay the reasonable for morning coffee?

Not a skeleton service?

I'm not obsessed with being part of the (MTA). Westchester's Bee Line isn't and it's a very well run operation (perhaps even more so than the MTA). The coffee analogy is so far off, yes lets say the regular coffee shop (MTA) kept raising their prices and buying extravagant things, but the coffee was still good. Someone else (Veolia) offers coffee for half the price, but I dont like the way the coffee is made so I'll choose to spend more for quality, even if it means I'll have to make cuts elsewhere (like getting a smaller sandwich). The MTA put a much better quality product out there, just ask the riders. I've seen things with NICE I've never seen so much with the MTA. They pay their drivers much less, so you get people who don't have the experience, and actually hate their job with a passion. It finally hit me when I look and see what's driving NICE, it looks like Super Shuttle drivers, which BTW, is also a Veolia company with a great deal of complaints on Yelp. 

http://www.yelp.com/biz/supershuttle-astoria

If Nassau wanted to go it's own way it could've done so like Westchester, having a local company with experience like Liberty Lines, for example. But it still wouldn't have been as cheap as with Veolia. I'm not sure if you ride Nassau buses regularly or not, but I have yet to meet anyone that rides Nassau buses regularly (at least 5 times a week) that thinks NICE is the same as or better than the MTA. Most just want the MTA back. I have no special interest groups, and I'm not part of the TWU or some labor group, I am simply talking as a bus rider. Things have gotten worse, much worse. It's like the Wild West out here now.

Well they do transport CHILDREN!  You still haven't told me what you do for a living?  I know you are buddy buddy with Houd who feels school bus drivers aren't "real bus drivers" but I'm not concerned with a bitter old man's opinions.  On the other hand, why is it you think highly trained people who are trusted with "the most precious cargo on the road" are some sort of hacks.  Get real, stop bashing drivers when you don't have the training ANY of them have.

The rest of your post (as well as in the other thread) are just your classic nice sucks, combined with assumptions.

I'm not "looking down" on school bus drivers, I'm just saying they are usually trained differently than transit bus drivers, as they dont have to deal with multitasking a farebox along with driving. But they still are trained better than NICE which trains in half a parking lot. And I'm sure if school bus drivers started missing stops and leaving kids, they'd get complaints and diciplined right away (whereas at NICE nothing happens).

I think some of them may have been coming over from Super Shuttle (another Veolia operation).

It finally hit me when I look and see what's driving NICE, it looks like Super Shuttle drivers, which BTW, is also a Veolia company

You keep on saying this, but Super Shuttle is vans.  You don't need a CDL B/p to drive a van but you need  a CDL B/p to get hired at NICE.  Do you understand this?  What you propose is insane, stop with the assumptions!  Let's not even get started on the fact that it's a different operations, nothing to do with each other besides ownership (ie different management).

Now let's talk about super shuttle, I've used it all over the Country and it SUCKS but its CHEAP!  You wait for ever at the airport for them to group enough people together going to the same area to send them in a van together , then you'll usually be in the van for an hour.  It's a shared van service people use it for no other reason than to save money really whatever reason would there be?  Instead of paying the money for a cab or car service they get what they paid for going the cheap route but then bitch when they don't get the service towncar or cab service they didn't pay for.

The coffee analogy is so far off, yes lets say the regular coffee shop (MTA) kept raising their prices and buying extravagant things, but the coffee was still good. Someone else (Veolia) offers coffee for half the price, but I dont like the way the coffee is made so I'll choose to spend more for quality, even if it means I'll have to make cuts elsewhere (like getting a smaller sandwich).

Why don't you make cuts then and take a cabs where your going?

I'm not obsessed with being part of the (MTA). Westchester's Bee Line isn't and it's a very well run operation (perhaps even more so than the MTA). The coffee analogy is so far off, yes lets say the regular coffee shop (MTA) kept raising their prices and buying extravagant things, but the coffee was still good. Someone else (Veolia) offers coffee for half the price, but I dont like the way the coffee is made so I'll choose to spend more for quality, even if it means I'll have to make cuts elsewhere (like getting a smaller sandwich). The MTA put a much better quality product out there, just ask the riders. I've seen things with NICE I've never seen so much with the MTA. They pay their drivers much less, so you get people who don't have the experience, and actually hate their job with a passion. It finally hit me when I look and see what's driving NICE, it looks like Super Shuttle drivers, which BTW, is also a Veolia company with a great deal of complaints on Yelp. 

http://www.yelp.com/biz/supershuttle-astoria

If Nassau wanted to go it's own way it could've done so like Westchester, having a local company with experience like Liberty Lines, for example. But it still wouldn't have been as cheap as with Veolia. I'm not sure if you ride Nassau buses regularly or not, but I have yet to meet anyone that rides Nassau buses regularly (at least 5 times a week) that thinks NICE is the same as or better than the MTA. Most just want the MTA back. I have no special interest groups, and I'm not part of the TWU or some labor group, I am simply talking as a bus rider. Things have gotten worse, much worse. It's like the Wild West out here now.

I'm not "looking down" on school bus drivers, I'm just saying they are usually trained differently than transit bus drivers, as they dont have to deal with multitasking a farebox along with driving. But they still are trained better than NICE which trains in half a parking lot. And I'm sure if school bus drivers started missing stops and leaving kids, they'd get complaints and diciplined right away (whereas at NICE nothing happens).

At least they now have the Q70 from jackson heights for $2.50.

You keep on saying this, but Super Shuttle is vans.  You don't need a CDL B/p to drive a van but you need  a CDL B/p to get hired at NICE.  Do you understand this?  What you propose is insane, stop with the assumptions!  Let's not even get started on the fact that it's a different operations, nothing to do with each other besides ownership (ie different management).

Now let's talk about super shuttle, I've used it all over the Country and it SUCKS but its CHEAP!  You wait for ever at the airport for them to group enough people together going to the same area to send them in a van together , then you'll usually be in the van for an hour.  It's a shared van service people use it for no other reason than to save money really whatever reason would there be?  Instead of paying the money for a cab or car service they get what they paid for going the cheap route but then bitch when they don't get the service towncar or cab service they didn't pay for.

Yeah take a cab...seriously I had somewhat reasonable bus service, then I'm told to take a cab. Like I can afford to spend 10 times as much as the bus. Do you even have an idea what cabs cost? Of course I have a feeling thats what's going on, after all a cabbie actually sits on the NICE board! Talk about taking money from people who can afford it the least.  I swear the next time someone says take cab..... :angry:

If they really wanted to save money they'd use LIRR to airtrain for JFK or M60 to LGA or better yet NJT for newark airport from penn station. I find supershuttle useless.  You will NOT KNOW THE TRUE MEANING OF WALLET RAPE UNTIL YOU USE LI CABS!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah take a cab...seriously I had somewhat reasonable bus service, then I'm told to take a cab. Like I can afford to spend 10 times as much as the bus. Do you even have an idea what cabs cost? Of course I have a feeling thats what's going on, after all a cabbie actually sits on the NICE board! Talk about taking money from people who can afford it the least.  I swear the next time someone says take cab..... :angry:

APPARENTLY HE DOES NOT KNOW THE TRUE MEANING OF WALLET RAPE. Cabs in LI are beyond expensive they charge $10+ for a 5 min ride unbelievable.

Today, another incident. Explain this. I'm waiting at the n35 bus stop on Grand Ave, by Sunrise. The 7:45pm out of Baldwin Harbor (last bus of the light) is sitting in traffic some distance away (at least 3-4 bus lengths). The light turns green, I put my hand up to flag the bus just in case, and she KEEPS ON GOING. I guess she didn't feel like being stuck at the light. I run across Sunrise screaming, she pulls into the LIRR bus stop to pick up someone, then KEEPS GOING. Bus 1705. A kind young man saw what happen and gave me a lift to catch up to the bus. I asked her whyy she didn't stop, no response. 

She proceeded to miss another guy's stop when he was trying to exit the rear door. This is beyond unacceptable. 

I've never seen such unprofessional drivers in my life. And very nasty too. Definitely far from "nice".

That happens in other countries too. I even experienced that myself while I was waiting with a few others. Not to correct NICE or anything, just sayin' that NICE is not the only one. Like I said: you always have a few really bad drivers.

If they really wanted to save money they'd use LIRR to airtrain for JFK or M60 to LGA or better yet NJT for newark airport from penn station. I find supershuttle useless.  You will NOT KNOW THE TRUE MEANING OF WALLET RAPE UNTIL YOU USE LI CABS!!!!!!!!!!

APPARENTLY HE DOES NOT KNOW THE TRUE MEANING OF WALLET RAPE. Cabs in LI are beyond expensive they charge $10+ for a 5 min ride unbelievable.

I don't use Super Shuttle in the NY airports but in other cities I don't have a choice. 

In GA I use(d) the Groome shuttle (groometransportation.com) to get from ATL to the Blue Bird plant In FT Valley, GA.  It's a scheduled service using shared vans, all I can say is it gets me there and it's cheap. :(  It runs every half hour and is usually packed, making you wait outside in the Atlanta heat for up to an hour hoping the next bus won't be jammed packed. But there's really no other choice.

Today? Because rush hour weekdays are the real problem when it comes to lights on major streets like Northern Blvd here.

Friday rush hour.

Every last bus that comes down Stewart Avenue gets caught at no less than three lights, especially the ones leading to the back entrance to Nassau.  That's also one area; the 22 and 24 get held up in that loop around the Intermodal Center for almost five minutes at a time if they get caught at the light.

Well i was in a car so I was able to cruse down. Buses have to stop at bus stops, etc so that throws it off.

You should ALWAYS flag down a bus regardless. 

I don't use Super Shuttle in the NY airports but in other cities I don't have a choice. 

In GA I use(d) the Groome shuttle (groometransportation.com) to get from ATL to the Blue Bird plant In FT Valley, GA.  It's a scheduled service using shared vans, all I can say is it gets me there and it's cheap. :(  It runs every half hour and is usually packed, making you wait outside in the Atlanta heat for up to an hour hoping the next bus won't be jammed packed. But there's really no other choice.

WOW you would think they'd use coach buses on those.

your sadly right. Most of the bad reviews are in the NY area. Unlike other cities NY and philly do NOT need supershuttle or airport buses like these as the transit agencies already provide fast direct service to the airports from several areas and outlying places.

WOW you would think they'd use coach buses on those.

The cost would probably be to high, once the van was filled so I wasited while everyone crammed into the van,ma and the few waited got an airport style bus (less people on that one than the van). B-)

Besides I'm pretty sure they don't hire CDL drivers for the vans, my first trip was a guy who was a retired accountant or some other office type of worker.  I think it should be required that everyone who drives a van with people in it should be required to at least have a CDL C/p!

@Burrstone: They could get midi-size buses instead of vans. That at least helps a bit. Like the Van Hool A300:

http://www.vanhool.be/ENG/public%20transport/diesel/a308dieselEN.html

(and yes, I know not all Americans like the Van Hool A308 but it was the first midi size bus that popped into my mind :P it's just an example)

Yes they could be using airport style shuttles but they probably cost more than vans.  I'm also pretty sure they pay lower by having non cdl vans and can hire anyone off the street as opposed to having to hire cdl drivers that they must pay more.

Fact is had he paid the (MTA) their reasonable subsidy, we'd still be receiving more service hours, with a higher standard and professionalism of service.

Yeah take a cab...seriously I had somewhat reasonable bus service, then I'm told to take a cab. Like I can afford to spend 10 times as much as the bus. Do you even have an idea what cabs cost? Of course I have a feeling thats what's going on, after all a cabbie actually sits on the NICE board! Talk about taking money from people who can afford it the least.

The coffee analogy is so far off, yes lets say the regular coffee shop  (MTA) kept raising their prices and buying extravagant things, but the coffee was still good. Someone else (Veolia) offers coffee for half the price, but I dont like the way the coffee is made so I'll choose to spend more for quality, even if it means I'll have to make cuts elsewhere (like getting a smaller sandwich).

Actually the coffee analogy was spot on, I didn't think you understood how budgets work and your comments prove you don't understand.  You say if Nassau paid a reasonable subsidy (you've made comments before that Mangano could have made cuts elsewhere to give the MTA what they wanted.  Then you say if you enjoyed the coffe you'd make cuts for quality and pay the 6 times as much for a sandwich.  There's a reason I told you to take a cab, it's because I knew your reply would prove my point and disprove yours.  You think Mangano can find money the county doesn't have, you said you be willing to make a cut to buy ridiculously prices coffee at 6 times market rate for "quality" (your word) by making cuts elsewhere, and now you're unwilling (or is it unable?) to make cuts to give lousy bus service to pay a ridiculous cost for your transportation needs.  

I'm not part of the TWU or some labor group,

That's because you don't work!  Oh sorry, am I mistaken?  You still haven't told me what you do for a living? 

I swear the next time someone says take cab..... :angry:

Take a cab!

The MTA is a state run agency. The city wasn't covering anything since the MTA and the State goes above and beyond to collect taxes from downstate residents including Nassau County, lets stop this BS please.

The MTA was a contract carrier for Nassau, just as Veolia is now. The County was always fully responsible for the service and had a contractual obligation to pay for the service being provided, and the County continually refused to meet that obligation.

If you hired a guy to clean your house every week and then you stopped paying him, would he keep cleaning your house? NO. He would cut his losses and walk away.

Anyway, it's one way or the other. Sure Mangano could pay Veolia or (MTA) quite a bit more but fact is: as long as he refuses to pay more to either one of 'em cuts (doesn't matter if that means cutting routes or cutting maintenance) are inevitable. And I'm pretty sure that PinePowerless was filling this topic with LIB hate if (MTA) was still in charge instead of NICE because of their inevitable cuts.

The MTA was a contract carrier for Nassau, just as Veolia is now. The County was always fully responsible for the service and had a contractual obligation to pay for the service being provided, and the County continually refused to meet that obligation.

If you hired a guy to clean your house every week and then you stopped paying him, would he keep cleaning your house? NO. He would cut his losses and walk away.

This is a special situation the "contract carrier" gets the state to tax the very county they service for revenue.

If you hired a guy to clean your house, and you stopped paying him directly, but he taxed everything you purchased, your cellphone bill, your property tax, vehicle registration fee, driver license renewal fee, and exorbitant tolls on the crossings you use to get around, AND he asked for a raise, would you believe that you're not actually paying him, that a raise is necessary, and that and that he shouldn't continue to do his job?

Archived