French Connection Scene Repeated On The 7 Line

DJ MC

The woman was talking on her iPhone, and never saw coming her induction into a large and growing subset of crime victims. But there it happened shortly after noon on April 15, on a busy corner of Main Street in Flushing. A teenage boy zipped past, snatching the phone out of her hand, and kept running.

Devices like hers were stolen 16,000 times last year in New York City. But what happened on this afternoon in Queens was anything but commonplace. The closest comparison that leaps to mind is a classic chase scene from a 1971 thriller.

Source: Read here

Many thanks to the police for catching the suspect.

Which begs the question.... Now had that been a man, would this same police officer bothered to log onto the "Find My iPhone" feature on his phone, jumpstarting all the effort it took to get the stolen phone back.....

You know what.... You steal somethin from someone like that & get caught, you should have your hands chopped off.

Steal an iPhone now....

This article brings back bad memories admittedly. When I was 17 years old I was heading to Flushing on the (7) train, Main Street, where this dude tried to mug me for my Jansport bookbag. He tried to snatch it, spitting in my face in the process. What he didn't realize was that I was on my way to Muai Thai school. I guess we know what happened next......

What I like most about the article is that it ends with a closing stat which states 42 other devices were stolen that day. Most likely though no attempts were made to reclaim those other devices.

Simply put, that chick must have been pretty good looking for all this bullshit to have happened.

When the cops are able to track the phone using that find my iphone app, they are pretty good at recovering the phone. The problem (which I've read about a bunch of times, I am not trying to make generalizations here) is when the perp gets back to his home in nycha housing (seriously, this has happened a ton of times) and the cops are not going to search 5000 apartments for the one iphone. If the perp is on the street, they can identify him, so if it happens to you, you need to get a cops attention asap. 

On top of that it is hard to track a stolen phone on the black market once it's lost however laws are in the works making it an federal crime to alter, erase  or change serial numbers. I agree with the point made on the NYPD. Apparently they can use the app to track the phone down reasonably well however they will not have the manpower or the search warrants granted in court for hundreds of apartments just for one iPhone if tracked to a building with dozens of floors.

Archived