MetroNorth Hudson Line

Via Garibaldi 8

I took MetroNorth in this morning from Riverdale and actually had a nice row all to my lonesome since I took a later train in.  I paid peak but it was off-peak... Didn't have time to check since the train was rolling in.  <_<

While listening to some tunes and actually having a nice window seat for once on the left hand side (a first for me since I usually don't even get a seat <_<), I actually noticed a few things... 

-I never knew there were MetroNorth tracks directly behind Tuskegee Airmen Depot.  :o

-We stopped at a different platform than usual at Yankee Stadium-153rd street, then crossed over to the usual tracks.

It also seems like the platforms at that station are not at the same level. We seemed to be at lower level when we stopped at the other platform, which I found rather odd.

-Highbridge Station... I've see it before but didn't realize the platform was SO short... I've only see (MTA) personnel on the platform which leads to my question.

Is that "stop" if you will for passengers as well or just personnel? I've seen personnel actually wait by the tracks and get on at the front too.  If it's only for personnel, what other stops are like that along the Hudson Line.

It's only personal for your question. You have another on the LIRR, forgot the name of it. Breakneck Ridge is kinda both if you ask me, because it's for specific people, but anyone can get on.

You mean for personnel as in employees right? I was thinking what in the world area would that station serve anyway.... Seems to be in the middle of nowhere in terms of being near any neighborhood.

You mean for personnel as in employees right? I was thinking what in the world area would that station serve anyway.... Seems to be in the middle of nowhere in terms of being near any neighborhood.

Yeah, wrong term lol. I think it's like a break stop or something of the sort. The maintnence facility is near the area though, so that's why you also see trains stop at times.

It's only personal for your question. You have another on the LIRR, forgot the name of it. Breakneck Ridge is kinda both if you ask me, because it's for specific people, but anyone can get on.

There's two employee only stations on the LIRR, one is Hillside facility, and the other is Morris Park on the LIRR line that goes to Brooklyn.

Is that "stop" if you will for passengers as well or just personnel? I've seen personnel actually wait by the tracks and get on at the front too.  If it's only for personnel, what other stops are like that along the Hudson Line.

Highbridge Station is only used for Metro North employees to get to and from Highbridge Yard.  It is a stop designated in the employee schedule.  It's used for both workers that physically work in the yard and for conductors and engineers that bring equipment to and from the yard.

The only other stop that comes close on the Hudson Line is MO (Mott Haven Junction) yard where it's only a platform wide enough for a door.  This will be used for workers to get to the yard and for train crews to pick up or drop off equipment.

The only other train yards along the Hudson Line is Croton Harmon and Poughkeepise which are both  adjacent to the passenger stations and Poughkeepsie

Q23, Breakneck Ridge has nothing to do with employees.  It is a low level public station to give hikers access to the hiking trails.  Per the passenger schedule, there are two trains that stop there in the morning and two in the evening on weekends only.

Manitou Station is similar to Breakneck Ridge except trains stop there daily.  This station is also a low level platform.

Highbridge Station is only used for Metro North employees to get to and from Highbridge Yard.  It is a stop designated in the employee schedule.  It's used for both workers that physically work in the yard and for conductors and engineers that bring equipment to and from the yard.

The only other stop that comes close on the Hudson Line is MO (Mott Haven Junction) yard where it's only a platform wide enough for a door.  This will be used for workers to get to the yard and for train crews to pick up or drop off equipment.

The only other train yards along the Hudson Line is Croton Harmon and Poughkeepise which are both  adjacent to the passenger stations and Poughkeepsie

Nice to know... I was surprised at how empty my train was... There was only 4 or so people in the area I was sitting in.  The train loads during the off-peak must be much more tolerable than during the rush.

Breakneck Ridge is kinda both if you ask me, because it's for specific people, but anyone can get on.

Do you know what Breakneck Ridge is.....

It's not just the name of the RR station... It's also the name of the mountain.

Don't know what made you think it's "kinda both" an employee only stop & a passenger stop......

It's only personal for your question. You have another on the LIRR, forgot the name of it.

You mean an employee only stop on the LIRR or the short platform thing? If you mean employee stop on the LIRR then you're referring to the Hillside Facility station. If you mean short platform thing then you're referring to Murray Hill (and Amagansett to some extent).

Do you know what Breakneck Ridge is.....

It's not just the name of the RR station... It's also the name of the mountain.

Don't know what made you think it's "kinda both" an employee only stop & a passenger stop......

I mean its catered to hikers, but anyone in reality can get off.

There are passengers that actually buy monthly passes between Breakneck Ridge and Grand Central.  Realistically, they do not travel to Breakneck Ridge but being it's in the same zone as Cold Spring and Garrison, they do it as a head turner.

I mean its catered to hikers, but anyone in reality can get off.

....Which has nothing to do with employees.... which is what VG8 was asking about MNRR highbridge.

It's still a bad comparison.... Breakneck ridge isn't only a stop for hikers.... highbridge is only a stop for employees...

There are passengers that actually buy monthly passes between Breakneck Ridge and Grand Central.  Realistically, they do not travel to Breakneck Ridge but being it's in the same zone as Cold Spring and Garrison, they do it as a head turner.

LOL

You mean an employee only stop on the LIRR or the short platform thing? If you mean employee stop on the LIRR then you're referring to the Hillside Facility station. If you mean short platform thing then you're referring to Murray Hill (and Amagansett to some extent).

hillside he is referring to.

Archived