Staten Island bus route numbering question

Around the Horn

There was a thread about this a while back, but I believe it's to avoid confusion of two routes having the same number. However, there is one case, that being the X42 and S42.

Back in the old days, the routes used to have lower numbers though.

Also, Staten Island was known as Richmond, according to the 1974 Bronx Bus Map. I think "R" was used and not "S" like today.

Yes, that's correct.

To name a few: S46 used to be the R3, S61 and S62 were the R112 and the S74 was the R113. That's all I can remember.

Here's my response which I posted on the other thread

When SI buses were being renumbered, the (MTA) wanted to streamline numbers, with 1-39 being express and 40-99 being local, with the exception of the X42, so it would be easier to denote This practice however never expanded to the other boroughs, because that would cause major confusion.

Here's my response which I posted on the other thread

When SI buses were being renumbered, the (MTA) wanted to streamline numbers, with 1-39 being express and 40-99 being local, with the exception of the X42, so it would be easier to denote This practice however never expanded to the other boroughs, because that would cause major confusion.

Also, express routes at the time began with the borough designation and then had X at the end.

Archived