MTA To Vote On Hundreds Of New LIRR, Metro-North Train Cars

Bracamonte

I dunno where you got your info from but according to (MTA)'s LIRR trip planner it takes 1 hour and 18 minutes from NYP to Babylon (that's  a direct train FYI).

Standing on a train for an hour and 18 minutes is not that bad, particularly when you're likely to get a seat sometime before you get to your destination. I've done my entire 1.5 hr commute, train and bus, standing in crushloaded conditions before.

Plus, as an added bonus, LIRR operators (or whatever the term is) seem to be better than their NYCT counterparts when it comes to approaching stations. None of that "let's slow down, and then raise the speed slightly, so that we wake up all the sleeping people on the train by jerking the train forward in slow increments" BS that I've encountered sometimes.

Standing on a train for an hour and 18 minutes is not that bad, particularly when you're likely to get a seat sometime before you get to your destination. I've done my entire 1.5 hr commute, train and bus, standing in crushloaded conditions before.

Don't bring it like I haven't experienced that. Sure, I haven't experienced LI yet but I have experienced train and bus commutes where I had to stand for a very long time. Even as recently as a few months ago I had 2 train commutes, one of which involved 3 hours of standing and the other nearly an hour of standing. (not on the same day btw)

So yes, I know how bad it is to stand for a long time in a train.

Don't bring it like I haven't experienced that. Sure, I haven't experienced LI yet but I have experienced train and bus commutes where I had to stand for a very long time. Even as recently as a few months ago I had 2 train commutes, one of which involved 3 hours of standing and the other nearly an hour of standing. (not on the same day btw)

So yes, I know how bad it is to stand for a long time in a train.

Your not gonna experience that anywhere in the LI OR Tri-state area unless Amtrak drops the fares big-time.

Amtrak trains get "sold out" when there's no more seats left, its highly unlikely you would see a SRO Amtrak train.

Plus, Amtrak can basically charge whatever the hell it wants, since its ridership is still rising despite relatively high prices compared to other regions of the world.

Plus, Amtrak can basically charge whatever the hell it wants, since its ridership is still rising despite relatively high prices compared to other regions of the world.

Depends on where you're traveling. For example, NYP to Schenectady, NY is $58 for a 'value' seat round-trip on most scheduled Amtrak trains. While Amsterdam to Bruxelles is 78 euros (which is about $105) for a one-seat ride round-trip at  'value' fare. NYP to Schenectady is even slightly more miles so that says a lot.

Of course, over longer distances Amtrak can get quite pricey. A few months ago I looked up a commute from NYP to Oklahoma City and the cheapest option (though not even the best in terms of arrival times) was about $300 for a round trip. Sure, it's a lot of miles but it's quite pricey still.

Acela Express cannot be SRO. The train will be sold out if all seats are taken. Keystones, Hiawathas, and California Corridor trains are the only unreserved trains for which you can really get an SRO train as they are unreserved (Some corridor trains can have more people than seats however, as they allow unreserved monthly riders aboard.)

Also, 41 each way is the lowest fare to Schnectady, outside of occasional special sales. 58 dollars would be a one way fare at a higher rate. 

You have to understand that these manufacturers build these cars in accordance to the specifications provided by the agency.

True.  I follow what you're saying.

Also remember Europe is falling behind on smart phone useage and high speed data 3 and 4 G service.

Not shocking... Europe does everything to discourage people from using the damn service.  They charge for everything!  You want a plastic bag? Sure, pay 0,10€ cents for it.  You want condiments on your food? Sure, pay 0,25€ per packet.  I mean give me a break. With the way the economy is in some countries, folks barely have enough money for food and rent, let alone cell phones.

So this means Metro North's M7's were manufactured to have noisy trucks because that's the way they were spec'd?

Thanks for enlightening me.

lol... You know what he means... Sometimes a company makes good products but they get botched up when the (MTA) provides them with their specs.  It's similar to those Prevosts.  I don't think they're the right coach buses for the (MTA) but leave it to them to order hundreds of them.  <_<

Depends on where you're traveling. For example, NYP to Schenectady, NY is $58 for a 'value' seat round-trip on most scheduled Amtrak trains. While Amsterdam to Bruxelles is 78 euros (which is about $105) for a one-seat ride round-trip at  'value' fare. NYP to Schenectady is even slightly more miles so that says a lot.

Of course, over longer distances Amtrak can get quite pricey. A few months ago I looked up a commute from NYP to Oklahoma City and the cheapest option (though not even the best in terms of arrival times) was about $300 for a round trip. Sure, it's a lot of miles but it's quite pricey still.

This is true, but I'm going to go out on a leg here and say that train service in the Netherlands is faster, more reliable, and more frequent (and when Amtrak is the bar you have to pass, it's not difficult to be better than this.)

This is true, but I'm going to go out on a leg here and say that train service in the Netherlands is faster, more reliable, and more frequent (and when Amtrak is the bar you have to pass, it's not difficult to be better than this.)

LMAO. Reliable? It's totally unreliable here. I'm a frequent commuter so I can tell you straight up how unreliable it is. There are disruptions every day and delays are very common. And you were complaining about LIRR not sending trains to other terminals when there are disruptions? Well, Dutch Railways also doesn't do that, they just cut service when there's a disruption. And every Dutch person who commutes by rail here will tell you the same: it's unreliable. Therefore, we have 2 big unions fighting for better service every day. Faster: depends on where you're going (and how many disruptions there are) but for the most part, that's true.

More frequent is true but not to Brussels which I named in my previous post. Direct service from Amsterdam to Brussels is not much more than direct Amtrak service to Schenectady.

Unless that manufacturer happens to be Ansaldobreda.... lol

They screwed up those street cars for Sweden (it was Sweden, right?) but all in all they make good stuff IMHO. Multiple investigations by various parties/companies on the AnsaldoBreda V250 rail cars for The Netherlands have recently pointed out that Dutch Railways were the one screwing up the specs and order so AnsaldoBreda just delivered what was ordered and that resulted in screwed up trains.

-------------------------------------------------------------

But let's go back on-topic.

Archived