Four Arrested in Ticket Vending Machine Scam

Turbo19

safeguard.jpg?itok=w0s17epQ

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority Police Department, Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice, Queens District Attorney’s Office and Nassau County Police Department Crimes Against Property (CAP) Squad have announced the arrests of four people in connection with a scam discovered two weeks ago that used hidden cameras and bank card “skimmers” to target MTA Long Island Rail Road customers using ticket vending machines (TVMs) at locations in Nassau and Queens counties.

Cameras and skimmers have also been discovered on Metro-North Railroad TVMs in Chappaqua, Westchester County, and investigators are continuing to search for more scamming devices to determine the full scope of the scam.

Seized evidence includes thousands of debit and credit card numbers of Nassau, Queens and Westchester residents, many of which come from compromised TVMs. Skimmed debit card account numbers, PIN numbers and credit card numbers are being analyzed to see to what extent they were used to steal money from people's accounts and financial institutions. So far, one bank has reported thousands of dollars of losses on over 50 accounts.

Investigators have been in contact with banks to notify them of the scam so that they can notify their customers and verify losses. MTA officials warned customers of the scam on October 18 and have since checked all 278 TVMs in the LIRR system to verify there are no cameras or skimmers in place and will continue checks on an ongoing basis.

An initial precautionary check of all 277 TVMs in the Metro-North system found no cameras or skimmers, but three were later found at the Chappaqua station on a subsequent check. Both railroads are continuing to check all their TVMs at 115 LIRR stations and 95 Metro-North stations in case more scam devices are placed there.

Read More: Source

Moral of the story: Pay with cash. 

If you are using your credit card, Visa and Mastercard will pay you back. Dont have to worry as long as you dont write down your pin, give your pin out or use a pin that can be ID back to you like address or date of birth and no easy pins like 1234 etc. Other wise your golden if this happens.

If you are using your credit card, Visa and Mastercard will pay you back. Dont have to worry as long as you dont write down your pin, give your pin out or use a pin that can be ID back to you like address or date of birth and no easy pins like 1234 etc. Other wise your golden if this happens.

That's great, if you're using a credit card.  Many don't.  Someone like my self that primarily uses a debit card for everything would not know what happened until the card gets declined and for Visa to make good on the fraud takes time.

That's great, if you're using a credit card.  Many don't.  Someone like my self that primarily uses a debit card for everything would not know what happened until the card gets declined and for Visa to make good on the fraud takes time.

I use online alerts for my debit card, and my bank (Chase) offers the same charge dispute/fraud protection on my debit card as does Visa for my credit card, Your bank might do the same, you just need to occassionally check your balance online so you can notice any problems right away

I use online alerts for my debit card, and my bank (Chase) offers the same charge dispute/fraud protection on my debit card as does Visa for my credit card, Your bank might do the same, you just need to occassionally check your balance online so you can notice any problems right away

Yes, I understand checking balances, disputes, fraud protection, etc. My point is with a debit your info could be stolen today and you account drained tomorrow. Then when those checks that you wrote a few days ago try to clear, there's no money.

Yes, I understand checking balances, disputes, fraud protection, etc. My point is with a debit your info could be stolen today and you account drained tomorrow. Then when those checks that you wrote a few days ago try to clear, there's no money.

I see. For my debit account anyway, there is a 24 hour "pending period" after a transaction, and as long as I dispute the charge in that period, the money never actually leaves my account. So I have alerts set up for even the smallest transactions so I can catch them right away. 

Paying for a $466 monthly with cash isn't the easiest thing to do.  Another alternative is to use ticket windows.

Assuming that your station has one.... I've never paid for a Metro-North ticket using anything BUT MVMs... This is downright scary...

I don't know why so many people still use debit cards... I rarely use my debit card.  If you don't like credit cards, you can always use prepaid cards to protect yourself.

Assuming that your station has one.... I've never paid for a Metro-North ticket using anything BUT MVMs... This is downright scary...

My station has neither a ticket window nor Ticket Vending Machines.  However, Jamaica and Penn Station do (as does Grand Central).  So you are more than welcome to purchase tickets there in advance.  For the most part, I buy our monthlies at Jamaica a couple days before the end of the month from a ticket window and we're all set.

My station has neither a ticket window nor Ticket Vending Machines.  However, Jamaica and Penn Station do (as does Grand Central).  So you are more than welcome to purchase tickets there in advance.  For the most part, I buy our monthlies at Jamaica a couple days before the end of the month from a ticket window and we're all set.

LOL... I wouldn't even know where to go in Grand Central, though I think I have an idea.  Anytime I get into the station, if I need tickets, I immediately go to a TVM.

I don't know why so many people still use debit cards... I rarely use my debit card. If you don't like credit cards, you can always use prepaid cards to protect yourself.

I rarely use credit cards. I like to use the money I already have to pay for things. The only money I owe is on my mortgage and 1 car payment.

Prepaid cards are definately an alternative if it wasn't for the fact that they are complete ripoffs. Between buying the card, load fees, monthly fees, they get you going every which way.

I don't know why so many people still use debit cards... I rarely use my debit card.  If you don't like credit cards, you can always use prepaid cards to protect yourself.

I'm not exactly sure about the specifics, but I know that having a credit card in or straight out of high school without a parent cosigning is frowned upon, if not downright impossible at the major banks. A lot of kids carry debit.

The problem with prepaid is that using them regularly adds up very, very fast due to all the fees and crap.

• 4 months later...

More Card Skimmers Discovered at LIRR Stations

The LIRR reports that credit card skimmers and tiny hidden cameras were found during a routine inspection at Baldwin station on the Montauk Branch last week.  Back in October, the LIRR discovered hidden cameras and card skimmers at Bayside, Great Neck, Merillon Avenue, and Greenvale stations.  The same group of four Romanian nationals also planted hidden cameras and skimmers at Sea Cliff station on the Oyster Bay Branch, and MTA Police were able to apprehend two of the suspects a week later when they tried to retrieve the cameras and skimmers from the TVM's at Sea Cliff.

In the last two weeks in March, several of the bunch that planted the skimmers at the stations back in the fall pleaded guilty to conspiracy and larceny charges.  It is unknown at this time weather or not the cameras discovered at Baldwin last week were linked to the original four culprits, or if it is part of a different scheme.  Following the discovery back in the fall, MTA polcie checked every Ticket Vending Machine at LIRR stations for hidden cameras.

More information will become available in the coming days, but if you think you might've seen something suspicious at Baldwin, or any other LIRR station, you can contact the MTA Police at (718) 361-2247 or by calling 511 and saying "LIRR."

Posted on 4/07/2014 09:00:00 PM  No Comments
See more posts about: Babylon Branch, Baldwin, Bayside, Crime, Great Neck, Greenvale, Merillon Avenue, News, Tickets and Fares

The problem is very simple but very complex.  It had to happen at stations which don't have full time manning.  You had to pick the lock or somehow open the machine and place the skimmer inside. This takes time and privacy.  as 2 AM isn't the normal time for filling the machine.or maintaining it. The stations involved are normally vacant from 11PM to 5AM and this when they strike.and MTA supplies excellent lighting for this mischief. Now this madness is going to spread as tickets are sold this way all over the place and the safest place to get them is at a 24hour manned station but other at main stations this isn't going to happen. Whether you use a credit or debit card makes no difference as you don't know they have the info and can use it at anytime.not immediately but in many cases the info is sold as there are websites selling just that type of info.  Its safer to stop at a bank ATM machine and get the cash and then buy the ticket. Bank machines are alarmed and if anything is tried the alarm goes off. and can be serviced only from the inside.  

Archived